Complete newbie here from the UK

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Skinner1818

Original poster
Feb 13, 2024
Hi All,

Completely new to BBQ, and posting up in the East Midlands of the UK. Got a battered offset smoker free from a restaurant friend, which I have scrubbed up and repaired and will hopefully be making some good food on!

Biggest problem at the moment is finding seasoned wood, everything seems to be kiln dried locally and is lumped in bulk lots of mixed hardwoods (Ash, oak and birch and others) but I am hoping that I can find a decent source soon.

Greetings, and welcome to the community from New Mexico, USA.
Finding wood can be a challenge.
Trusting the people you get it from is another thing.
Have had them tell me it's a cord of wood and it was only 2/3 cord at best.
Good luck.

Welcome from Texas!

Once you source some trusted wood, you'll be amazed at what you create.

The SMF group has a LOT of knowledge and experience. Ask questions as you go along, we'll get you going!

Welcome from Kentucky!

Kiln dried isn't really an issue as much as getting the wood species you want to use.

Thank you all for the warm welcome! I'll be certain to post up for feedback and advice.

Welcome from Southern California. I have seen on many videos that sourcing wood in the UK is very hard as well as getting a smoker. At least you have one of the two worked out.

I look forward to what you can do in the future. When successful you will have a line out your yard of others wanting to try out what you are smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky