• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Old Guy In Texas

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Old is relative. If you can get off your calloused backside to flip a rack of ribs. You qualify! Welcome aboard!

Brian Trommater

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 1, 2018
I have used charcoal with wood for most my life. I am a old guy myself. Recently bought a pellet. They are extremely easy to use but the smoke can be fairly milder. I have kind of got used to it trying to look at the smoke as more of a seasoning. The pellet does produce the best smoke rings for me. I just bought a Guru controller for my old charcoal smoker and firing it up this weekend. Want to see now how pellet compares to charcoal. I think I know the answer.

SmokinGame

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 11, 2018
From Indiana, Welcome!

I am slowly working on the "old" status, but still not there. So far my mind is winning versus the body ... so far!!

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Welcome to the forum!
Happy to have you join in.
Al

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Welcome...One thing we got is PLENTY of us OLD GUYS! You're among your own.
And, if one of these guys can't answer your questions, they will refer you to or contact someone who can help!...JJ

banpaeng

Joined Sep 22, 2020
Would like to say thanks for the welcome. I am leaning hard to the Recteq 340 Any reasons I should go with the Masterbuilt Gravity 560

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Just $.02 from a Old Guy that looked at both. The Rec Tec has been around a couple of years and is virtually bug and mod free. Control boards, fans and assorted parts die and have to be replaced, but they seem trouble free overall.
While I like the MB Gavity, as it gets hotter over a wider surface for searing lots of Steaks or Burgers at one time. From looking at reviews on YouTube, it seems there are a half dozen or so, mods that people are doing to get it right. I no longer have the physical ability to be messing with modifications. I need Good to Go out of the box. Personally, it is my plan and if you are leaning toward the MB may agree, I'm holding out until Spring to see if a Gen 2.0 comes out that is less needy...JJ

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.