Old frozen steaks?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Electric88

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 10, 2020
To my great shame, I found a couple ribeyes stashed in the deep freezer that date back to early/mid 2018. They don’t look horrendous, but I know they certainly won’t taste fresh.

Would it be better to make into jerky or ground burger, or should it just be pitched? I hate throwing money away, but getting sick off of it would be even less pleasing.

Attachments

• F372D5BA-B4FA-431F-95F0-FD01A937E67C.jpeg
    F372D5BA-B4FA-431F-95F0-FD01A937E67C.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 31
You won't get sick. There may be a lowered quality issue from the time in the freezer, but otherwise you'll be fine.

You could just cook them normally but make a nice bourbon mushroom pan sauce, or some sort of a bechamel for them to add your own fresher flavors to the steaks.

They aren't going to kill you, tho you are a poster boy for a vac-sealer. I'm with Nole4L, soup. RAY

These were put in the freezer before I started to become aware of vacuum sealers and such. I have one now that will be put to good use though

All good ideas ,,, I guess . Had some old pork steaks in the past . Ground up for sausage .
Long story short , wasted my time , effort and 2 1/2 pounds of venison due to off taste in the pork .
I would just trash it .

Soups or stews, stir frys, cheesesteak, Poutine. Fine for anything you typically wouldn't waste ribeye on any other day. Quality may be diminished, trimming off the nasty fats and the off-color meat will still make for an awesome beef meal.

Reactions: chopsaw
The one looks like it says 2019 on it. Being that its at least zip locked up I'd cook that one up. The other one, probably junk. At the very least you need to put them in a zip lock. A little trick is to submerge most of the zip lock in water to force the air out before you seal. It doesnt make up for lack of a vacuum sealer, but it does work.

Keep it simple! S&P, seared Rare and taste it. If ok, Steak Dinner. If not good, Dog Food or trash them. Not worth spending all day making Stew,Chili or whatever to find they taste bad...JJ

Thaw it and smell it, if it smells like the freezer feed it to the dogs or hogs, live and learn.

Thanks for all the input! Pretty much confirmed what I was already thinking. Guess I'll pull one and see how it goes.

Anything new going in will be vacuum sealed for sure!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky