Old Country BBQ Pits Wrangler Owners Thread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I cooked with my door open and the flue wide open the ribs near the flue were over cooked and the ribs near the fire box were perfect. I did let my fire get away from me once. I wasn't using tuning plates. I had too many ribs in there too so next time I will do one less rack and use a water pan near the firebox for one smoke. Then the next one I will try it near the flue.

With the door open, I think the air flow pushes the heat to the stack end. That's my theory. I doubt that tuning plates would change that.

I burn more wood , however, with the door open. I use small splits 10" long, bout as round as a beer can. Put a new one on the fire, bout every 20 to 25 minutes.

I'm using a water pan, I got a 16" loaf pan, that fits perfectly across the end of my cooking grate above the baffle.

I ordered my Wrangler about a month ago. So far I've washed it, seasoned it. Cooked some thighs on it and attempted ribs this past weekend. Ribs tasted great. I had too many so I couldn't fit a water pan, next time I'll go one less rack and make sure I have room for a water pan. It was my 3rd attempt at managing a fire. I started with a bed of charcoal with 2 logs. That got it up to 300, I like to smoke around 250 so I opened the door and the stack wide open. It stayed around 250 at that point. Then when those logs burned down I added 2 more logs. Should have only added 1 as the temp shot up to 300 again. Let those burn down and added 1 log and it didn't cause a large spike like the last time. I need tuning plates as the ribs closest to the stack were burned. The rest of the ribs were fine, out of the 4 racks I only lost 1 to being burned, 1 was a tad bit dry but the other 2 came out fine. I think with some tuning plates, water pan and better fire management I should have things under control soon. Then I'll attempt a brisket.

nice , did you ever get the running plate? I use the plate that came in the firebox as my tuning plate but my smokestack side is still much hotter than my firebox side. as far as temp control after a year of fighting with the fire to keep it under 300(this pit just loves to be at 300) I've realize the easiest way to keep your temps down is to use smaller splits I'm talking much smaller than you usually use. take a split and split it again, then split it again. then use two of those. because one split of the proper size will not burn very efficiently so two small splits due the trick with the firebox door open about 5 inches

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-27 at 12.24.32 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-12-27 at 12.24.32 AM.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_20180325_210726.jpg
    IMG_20180325_210726.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 152
nice , did you ever get the running plate? I use the plate that came in the firebox as my tuning plate but my smokestack side is still much hotter than my firebox side. as far as temp control after a year of fighting with the fire to keep it under 300(this pit just loves to be at 300) I've realize the easiest way to keep your temps down is to use smaller splits I'm talking much smaller than you usually use. take a split and split it again, then split it again. then use two of those. because one split of the proper size will not burn very efficiently so two small splits due the trick with the firebox door open about 5 inches
I did get the tuning plates. They are just basically 3 inch wide plates that are about 16 inches long. You space them out how ever you feel and take temperature measurements. I don't have a really good way other than the Biscuit method to measure hot spots, and I haven't done that yet. I put in all but 2 of the plates and did some wings that took up the whole surface of the grill. Only difference I could tell is that the temp gauge did not get above 225. I took them out for now and will try to use smaller splits. I also plan on buying a FireBoard to monitor both sides of the pit and the meat. https://www.fireboard.com/shop/fireboard-extreme-bbq-edition/

I hope everyone is enjoying their Wrangler. I saw one at Academy in Foley, Alabama over the weekend. I guess they are discontinued-? So what is a tuning plate and what is a running plate-? My smoker stays consistent between 225 and 250. So far I have enjoyed a few pork shoulders, and a batch or two of ribs. I have a ton of pecan here on my property and I also use oak.

I hope everyone is enjoying their Wrangler. I saw one at Academy in Foley, Alabama over the weekend. I guess they are discontinued-? So what is a tuning plate and what is a running plate-? My smoker stays consistent between 225 and 250. So far I have enjoyed a few pork shoulders, and a batch or two of ribs. I have a ton of pecan here on my property and I also use oak.

There are a few available at stores in the Dallas area. We picked up one today. It wasn't exactly level so the manager gave us 15% off, so it came to $425. We had to rent a van at a local store to bring it home. It only took us about 20 minutes so we weren't even charged for using the van--free delivery! Scrubbed it down and dried it. Tomorrow we'll fire it up to season it. Can't wait to get cooking on it!

Hey, new to the forum here and I know this is an old thread but wanted to let everyone know that I picked up a Old Country Wrangler (Original) at the Academy in Frisco, TX. They had it on display next to a sign that said "Old Country Wrangler II $299.99, The employee scanned the sticker and it was $499.99 and he said they would adjust the price, so I bought it for $$299.99. He also said they had 2 more in back already assembled, but I'm not sure if they are the Old Country Wrangler (Original) or Old Country Wrangler II. If anyone is interested in these grills and lives near Friso, TX, I would go check and see, I think they discontinued these smokers.
Y6GYpU0rQxSPXjo%3G4pIw.jpg
83l3f6+2S1STh1FfVocgJw.jpg

Hey, new to the forum here and I know this is an old thread but wanted to let everyone know that I picked up a Old Country Wrangler (Original) at the Academy in Frisco, TX. They had it on display next to a sign that said "Old Country Wrangler II $299.99, The employee scanned the sticker and it was $499.99 and he said they would adjust the price, so I bought it for $$299.99. He also said they had 2 more in back already assembled, but I'm not sure if they are the Old Country Wrangler (Original) or Old Country Wrangler II. If anyone is interested in these grills and lives near Friso, TX, I would go check and see, I think they discontinued these smokers. View attachment 387669 View attachment 387668
Good job. That's a steal-! Glad you got a deal. I hear the Wrangler II is cheap and flimsy. You will love the original. Must be a good feeling to get a great deal from big box corporate. Dont forget the cover and thermometer. They could discontinue the cover, so if it is a different size, get it now-! What is the first thing you will cook-??

Good job. That's a steal-! Glad you got a deal. I hear the Wrangler II is cheap and flimsy. You will love the original. Must be a good feeling to get a great deal from big box corporate. Dont forget the cover and thermometer. They could discontinue the cover, so if it is a different size, get it now-! What is the first thing you will cook-??
Yes! I think I got pretty lucky though. I found the last cover for it too, so I jumped on that also. I need to season the smoker then probably smoke some leg quarters first. There is no thermometer, but was thinking of just getting a digital one instead to clip on grill...what do you think?

Yes! I think I got pretty lucky though. I found the last cover for it too, so I jumped on that also. I need to season the smoker then probably smoke some leg quarters first. There is no thermometer, but was thinking of just getting a digital one instead to clip on grill...what do you think?
On this thread everyone said to degrease the smoker before seasoning. There are some examples of how to degrease the smoker. I don't think it will take too much time but I think it would be important. There is a bolt in the center of the lid that you remove. I would go ahead and purchase the thermometer that threads into the hole on the lid. I think that's a smart move because it tells you the temperature of the air with in the smoker. Other than that cook some leg quarters and have fun.

On this thread everyone said to degrease the smoker before seasoning. There are some examples of how to degrease the smoker. I don't think it will take too much time but I think it would be important. There is a bolt in the center of the lid that you remove. I would go ahead and purchase the thermometer that threads into the hole on the lid. I think that's a smart move because it tells you the temperature of the air with in the smoker. Other than that cook some leg quarters and have fun.
That was my plan, already have degreaser and will spray and rinse off, I bought a thermometer today and will install...Thanks!

Here we go, inaugural post. The Wrangler has been ordered along with its respective cover. I was going to purchase from local Academy store (73 miles away in Louisville) but they didn’t have any in stock and I couldn’t wait any longer. I ordered online today. I already have a tracking number but no updates of course since it’s still Sunday. I shouldn’t be this excited about a grill that doesn’t have any electrical components or fancy gadgets. The only moving parts are the ones that I’ll manually adjust. And THAT reason is why I believe I’m so excited. I could go on and on. I want to fire this thread back up and hopefully receive some input from the more experienced members. Here’s my plan:
1. Unbox/uncrate and marvel in its beauty
2. Degrease with Dawn and air and/or towel dry
3. Slather with lard
4. Get a chimney of lump ready
5. Throw on a couple wood chunks as I don’t have any splits as of right now
6. Let it go for a couple hours at 300
7. Enjoy it.

Now, after reading every post so far in the thread I’m wondering if priming/painting after degreasing is necessary or if I could wait until it shows signs of rust? Thanks OP for starting the thread and I hope someone is out there willing to read this post.

Dang it. I've been reading and looking for one of these Wranglers. But all the reading I've done is old. So now I see that the new Wranglers are a different model???? The Wrangler 2??? Ugh!!! I want a heavier smoker. Otherwise I'd just buy a OJ.

Dang it. I've been reading and looking for one of these Wranglers. But all the reading I've done is old. So now I see that the new Wranglers are a different model???? The Wrangler 2??? Ugh!!! I want a heavier smoker. Otherwise I'd just buy a OJ.

Just me. I would not buy the Wrangler. Cook chamber is too short.

I have a Brazos. Cook chamber is 36" wide and I wish it was 42 or even 48" . The further I can get the meat from the fire, the more convection heating I get and the less direct radiant heat from the firebox. I consider the 12" on the firebox end to be pretty much unusable.

With the Wrangler, which I think is 28" cook chamber, you would have a difficult time getting meat away from the radiant heat. It would be necessary to rotate the meat often.

And these Old Country offset smokers, are bottom to top. The heat flows along the bottom of the meat, which means even in my Brazos, I have to flip and rotate meat often.

What ya want to cook with is convection heating, not direct radiant heat. I want the stack end of my smoker to have a lot of air flow in turmoil all around the meat.

But ya don't escape the unusable space near the firebox with about any offset, even the big 14 foot propane tank commercial smokers. Here's a pic from Terry Blacks in Austin and notice they use the firebox end of the smoker for a water pan, and then put splits across to block heat. And even seen some places that put alum foil on the ends of the brisket near the firebox.

tblacks.jpg

and go to about one minute and 30 sec of this vid and look how they protect the ends of the brisket near the firebox with aluminum foil

Greetings fellow OCB Pits Wrangler Owners.

Hopeing this thread is still active.

I just bought a new Old Country BBQ Pits Wrangler model this past weekend. While at Academy Sports, I noticed that all of the OCB Pits' smokers had a Sticky coating covering the entire inside surface of Both the cook chamber and the fire box doors & walls. I assume it is some type of oil or rust preventative used during manufacturing.

After cleaning the smoker several times with a scrub brush, using Dawn dish washing detergent and water, the Sticky coating was Still there. I am concerned that leaving this coating would be unsafe and would actually prevent a good bond between the smoker's metal interior and the cooking oil I will use during the Seasoning process. I also do not want this coating affecting the meats I will be cooking. But, I am hesitant to use any Harsh stripping chemicals to try and remove it from inside the cook chamber.

Does anyone know what this coating is, and how to Safely get rid of it, before I apply cooking oil and begin the Seasoning process?

Your wisdom and guidance would be Greatly Appreciated! Thank You.

Thank you SA.

I guess the real question is, has anyone else had this Sticky residue on their new OCB Pits' smoker.

If so, then how did you get rid of it before you Seasoned your smoker?

I have the Wrangler and Yes build the fire and let it rip!! I never paid attention to any residues and haven’t had any foul smells or tastes. Here’s some tips for really even heat distribution.
Take the upper mesh grill grate from the Firebox and use in place of charcoal grate. Move charcoal grate (now used as tuning plate) tight against the diffuser plate so the top of it flushes out with the diffuser plate.
This works great for me as I need the additional “heat sink” to keep temps lower with larger coal bed. This helps with wood that runs 18-32% Moisture Content. Also keep splits 8-14” beer can sized.

Attachments

• 6D02F21E-6743-4E80-9716-FF626E53C204.jpeg
    6D02F21E-6743-4E80-9716-FF626E53C204.jpeg
    191.1 KB · Views: 45
  • F9074F25-EEB5-4855-BEB2-52E23316D5CB.jpeg
    F9074F25-EEB5-4855-BEB2-52E23316D5CB.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 40
Thank you Everyone.

I took members recommendations, and Burned-Out the smoker at 350-400 for a few hours . Then I cleaned our the interior again with Dawn & hot water, rubbed the entire smoker down with a thin coat of Canola Oil, and ran the smoker at 300-350 for another few hours.

Seems Ok now. Looking forward to my first cook. Maybe this weekend.

Since I am new to the Stick-Burner way of smoking meats, my next challenge will be learning how to regulate my temperatures! During my seasoning process, the temps would spike up, then drop down and back up again every time I added a new split. I was not use to baby sitting the fire in my old Vertical smoker.

I hear that this is the most daunting thing to master with offset smokers. Any recommendations?

Much Appreciated!

Last edited:
Thanks ConrodM. Nice looking Brisket there!

I have not yet tried the 'biscuit' test, to see if/where there may be Hot Spots. But using the charcoal tray as a heat baffle sounds cool/cost effective.

Additionally, I have heard that doubling the smoke stack height, up by about 24", helps to increase the Draw within the cook chamber. During my seasoning process, I did notice quite a bit of smoke coming back out of the fire box door on several occasions, due to what I believe might be poor draw. I am hoping that increasing the draw might help remedy that issue. I think they also said it helps to naturally even out the temperatures in the cook chamber, by not allowing the flow of hot air to Stall on the stack side of the chamber.

Has anyone here experimented with increasing their smoke stack height on the Wrangler? If so, what were your results, and how much height did you end up ultimately adding?

Best Regards,
Phil

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky