Old Country BBQ Pits Wrangler Owners Thread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thank you Everyone.

I took members recommendations, and Burned-Out the smoker at 350-400 for a few hours . Then I cleaned our the interior again with Dawn & hot water, rubbed the entire smoker down with a thin coat of Canola Oil, and ran the smoker at 300-350 for another few hours.

Seems Ok now. Looking forward to my first cook. Maybe this weekend.

Since I am new to the Stick-Burner way of smoking meats, my next challenge will be learning how to regulate my temperatures! During my seasoning process, the temps would spike up, then drop down and back up again every time I added a new split. I was not use to baby sitting the fire in my old Vertical smoker.

I hear that this is the most daunting thing to master with offset smokers. Any recommendations?

Much Appreciated!
Use the method I described and let us know how often u add the mini-splits. Also the temps. The hotspot with that setup is near the stack and usually only shows up with 15-20mph winds (firebox facing wind) and in that case just close the intake some. COALBED is key for Great Bbq & Fire management

Thanks ConrodM. Nice looking Brisket there!

I have not yet tried the 'biscuit' test, to see if/where there may be Hot Spots. But using the charcoal tray as a heat baffle sounds cool/cost effective.

Additionally, I have heard that doubling the smoke stack height, up by about 24", helps to increase the Draw within the cook chamber. During my seasoning process, I did notice quite a bit of smoke coming back out of the fire box door on several occasions, due to what I believe might be poor draw. I am hoping that increasing the draw might help remedy that issue. I think they also said it helps to naturally even out the temperatures in the cook chamber, by not allowing the flow of hot air to Stall on the stack side of the chamber.

Has anyone here experimented with increasing their smoke stack height on the Wrangler? If so, what were your results, and how much height did you end up ultimately adding?

Best Regards,
Phil
I have. Ultimately I found it doesn’t need it so I leave it off with my setup. Also, I made a coal basket with sloping sides from expanded metal I got from lowes. Really Love It!! Makes it so much more easy- no mini shovel required 😉
BD29B37B-ADEC-42D9-AD48-CD592C0BC7C8.jpeg
?hash=1e0fcb28819b4b3bde0ccc339300b235.jpg

Attachments

• BE440A9C-88EE-4A44-ABA2-A5528E846ED5.jpeg
    BE440A9C-88EE-4A44-ABA2-A5528E846ED5.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 35
Nice & easy coal basket design. So that just sits on the bottom of the fire box, or do you prop it up some how? I would think the sloped sides help to keep the splits sitting directly over the coal bed? Also does that open end of the basket face the fire box door to make it easier to add new splits without opening the fire box lid?

And, I see the stack extension in the photo. You said that you did not find it made any difference with air Draw in the system while extending the smoke stack?

Nice & easy coal basket design. So that just sits on the bottom of the fire box, or do you prop it up some how? I would think the sloped sides help to keep the splits sitting directly over the coal bed? Also does that open end of the basket face the fire box door to make it easier to add new splits without opening the fire box lid?

And, I see the stack extension in the photo. You said that you did not find it made any difference with air Draw in the system while extending the smoke stack?
D95E9405-36E0-4F3A-B0B9-D3ADE7B51DE9.jpeg
706C8BB3-9AE6-4D89-B019-E1ABED230A67.jpeg

When firing up I center the basket in the firebox. Once I get Coalbed I push it away which leaves me room to Preheat my next splits. Rarely ever open top firebox lid- use the damper door & ELBOW LENGTH GLOVES & meat tongs to add to bed. All Dampers open 100% on 0-15 mph days. Only close firebox damper to 50% or so on 16+ mph days
F6E0231D-8E02-4EFC-9487-C4A5D15588AD.jpeg

Attachments

• 18894C9D-557A-4571-A440-AF5BBC961749.jpeg
    18894C9D-557A-4571-A440-AF5BBC961749.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 36

This comes in Real Handy
Moisture Meter

Attachments

• 9D80A99D-2502-4B88-8554-4112D32160F4.jpeg
    9D80A99D-2502-4B88-8554-4112D32160F4.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 49
Great information ConrodM! The photos are helpful too, thank you for sharing. :emoji_wink: I'll have to check my local Big-Box store for expanded metal sheets and the moisture meter.
  • What size splits do you use (I have been re-splitting mine down once or twice, trying to keep them on the smaller side)?
  • How many do you add at once?
  • And how often do you add them to maintain 250 or 275 cook temperature in your Wrangler?

Great information ConrodM! The photos are helpful too, thank you for sharing. :emoji_wink: I'll have to check my local Big-Box store for expanded metal sheets and the moisture meter.
  • What size splits do you use (I have been re-splitting mine down once or twice, trying to keep them on the smaller side)?
  • How many do you add at once?
  • And how often do you add them to maintain 250 or 275 cook temperature in your Wrangler?
Split size- 8-12” long & around beer can thickness
-Light 1 chimney of Kingsford blue charcoal and dump in- Never any that has easy light additions
-Once coals are caught & in Firebox place your mini splits Lincoln Log style with 4-6 mini splits ( depending on their thickness)
- should be easy to break up the splits into chunks after 30-40 minutes -
- add your wood for smoke flavor (pecan, hickory or whatever you like)
-Add wood to preheat then Close Firebox Lid & Damper Door with vent 100% Open! The stack vent is Always 100% Open regardless of wind
-you can wait till pit comes up to 250-275 or if too hot just let it settle to those temps then throw on meat 😁👍👍 Don’t forget it’s a good idea to spray the grate to keep any meat from sticking
- maintain temps & coal bed with a split and depends on size & Moisture and how coalbed is looking and temp of pit as to how often I add. usually a mini added 25-40 minutes
Easy Peezy 👍
I think it’s really Fun and there’s Nothing like the smell of the smoker running 1st thing in the morning and watching the Fire!!
I hope this helps!
Conrad

Temps running pretty good for my Turkey Breast :
DFB07054-F4D9-401D-A9D7-881E488A18AE.jpeg
D57B1A6A-5210-4CE3-AD77-DD15F86DE944.jpeg

Yes- the analogy thermometer runs 25 degs lower than grate temp on avg

Reactions: JLeonard
Thank you for the detailed explanation Conrad. I just purchased 1/2 Cord of Post Oak as my smoking wood. Per the infamous 'Sir Franklin', that is what we should be using here in Central Texas.

Oh, your back yard view is AWESOME! In what part of this Great USA are you currently residing?

I also like your 'pistola de agua'. Is that what you use to Spritz your Briskets, Ribs and Pork Butts? :emoji_laughing:

Just picked up a wrangler today. Thickest metal I've come across. Like that everything is welded together.

Question: how do I keep my firebox from getting ruined by heat and the elements? I've never had a grill last longer than 2 years. I'm hoping the added thickness of this metal will last longer.

I was initially inclined to believe my previous grills rusted. But it was always only the firebox that fell apart. The metal came off in flakes / sheets from the inside. While the outside was whole.

Any suggestions beyond the obvious . I spray down with canola oil and I keep ot covered when not in use.
P.s. let me know if this should be a separate thread but OP titled it Old Country Wrangler Owners

Welcome new OCB Pits Wrangler owner!

I am sure others will gladly chime in here... But to my limited knowledge...

The Best way to keep the fire box from rusting away, is to thoroughly Clean Out the Ashes as soon as you can after each cook!

If those Ashes remain in there and accumulate any amount of moisture, they turn into a very active metal corroding sludge.

Some members have mentioned, even after cleaning out the Ashes, just for added precaution, that they will spray the inside of the fire box with Canola Oil every time they do a cook. Kind of a Re-Seasoning process.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the detailed explanation Conrad. I just purchased 1/2 Cord of Post Oak as my smoking wood. Per the infamous 'Sir Franklin', that is what we should be using here in Central Texas.

Oh, your back yard view is AWESOME! In what part of this Great USA are you currently residing?

I also like your 'pistola de agua'. Is that what you use to Spritz your Briskets, Ribs and Pork Butts? :emoji_laughing:
I had forgotten that you have Post Oak!!!! 😁👍👍. That Turkey was done with Post Oak (from Academy) since we don’t have that here in Florida . I’m jealous that you can get it so easily. Lol. The pistol is a Bug a salt and is used to kill the “random” fly that shows up while BBQ’ing. You can take out 8-10 flys in less than 2 minutes. It uses table salt and all you do is use it like a pump shotgun 😁👍👍. I Love it!!

Welcome new OCB Pits Wrangler owner!

I am sure others will gladly chime in here... But to my limited knowledge...

The Best way to keep the fire box from rusting away, is to thoroughly Clean Out the Ashes as soon as you can after each cook!

If those Ashes remain in there and accumulate any amount of moisture, they turn into a very active metal corroding sludge.

Some members have mentioned, even after cleaning out the Ashes, just for added precaution, that they will spray the inside of the fire box with Canola Oil every time they do a cook. Kind of a Re-Seasoning process.

Hope this helps.
Thanks

Setup my O.C. Wrangler for its first burn in.
Wiped inside and out with generous amount of canola oil. Lit a single chimney of mesquite lump charcoal. Dumped it into my charcoal grate /box. After 4 hours the temps held and the grill was still too hot to touch. I'd say around 400-450°F . That's some serious heat retention after 4 hours and a single bit of charcoal.

Attachments

• IMG_20210702_224242_005.jpg
    IMG_20210702_224242_005.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20210702_224242_031.jpg
    IMG_20210702_224242_031.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 40
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky