Old Country BBQ Pits Wrangler Owners Thread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Those ccompliments make all the hard work of keeping a stick burner goin all worth it. Good job
Yup! Thank you! I picked up a brisket (flat) yesterday and a couple packs of brats. Going to be some nice weather for us this weekend, so I am looking forward to making the most of it!

I just purchase one of these smokers Monday evening. Seasoned it yesterday morning with some fresh lard, and then cooked a beef roast and some chicken on it. I have been using a gas Char-Broil Infrared grill, I really like. This Wrangler far exceed my expectations. The meat was amazing and temperature was pretty easy to control with a little trial and error.

The roast was probably the best I've ever cooked. Didn't get a finished picture of the chicken but it was very good as well.

Attachments

• IMG_3429.JPG
    IMG_3429.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_3431.JPG
    IMG_3431.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_3432.JPG
    IMG_3432.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 201
I ordered my Wrangler about a month ago. So far I've washed it, seasoned it. Cooked some thighs on it and attempted ribs this past weekend. Ribs tasted great. I had too many so I couldn't fit a water pan, next time I'll go one less rack and make sure I have room for a water pan. It was my 3rd attempt at managing a fire. I started with a bed of charcoal with 2 logs. That got it up to 300, I like to smoke around 250 so I opened the door and the stack wide open. It stayed around 250 at that point. Then when those logs burned down I added 2 more logs. Should have only added 1 as the temp shot up to 300 again. Let those burn down and added 1 log and it didn't cause a large spike like the last time. I need tuning plates as the ribs closest to the stack were burned. The rest of the ribs were fine, out of the 4 racks I only lost 1 to being burned, 1 was a tad bit dry but the other 2 came out fine. I think with some tuning plates, water pan and better fire management I should have things under control soon. Then I'll attempt a brisket.

Tips I learned at Brisket U. Clean out your firebox after every use. I clean mine out the next morning after everything has cooled down. For some reason ash causes rust acceleration especially if it gets wet.

Locomotive breath,

Great looking food! Good job on your first cook on new stick burner.

It will only get better as you continue to learn the ins and outs of your smoker.

Another trick to getting it started quickly is to use a weed burner. Had logs burning well and smoker at 300 in about 5 min!!! I know it’s not for everyone but sure is fun to play with and great for getting the smoker going.

Reactions: Locomotive Breath
Just joined this forum. Thank you, glad to meet you all. I just picked up my Wrangler 2 weeks ago. I have not used it yet. I wish I would have discovered this forum before seasoning my smoker. I did NOT clean the smoker out with soap or whatever before seasoning. Oh well, to late now I guess. I lathered it up with peanut oil and fired up some oak twis and logs. I repeated the process again. It smells wonderful. I have already cleaned out the firebox because yes, ashes turn to acid with water. Any recommendations on the fact that I did not clean it first before seasoning-?

I ordered my Wrangler about a month ago. So far I've washed it, seasoned it. Cooked some thighs on it and attempted ribs this past weekend. Ribs tasted great. I had too many so I couldn't fit a water pan, next time I'll go one less rack and make sure I have room for a water pan. It was my 3rd attempt at managing a fire. I started with a bed of charcoal with 2 logs. That got it up to 300, I like to smoke around 250 so I opened the door and the stack wide open. It stayed around 250 at that point. Then when those logs burned down I added 2 more logs. Should have only added 1 as the temp shot up to 300 again. Let those burn down and added 1 log and it didn't cause a large spike like the last time. I need tuning plates as the ribs closest to the stack were burned. The rest of the ribs were fine, out of the 4 racks I only lost 1 to being burned, 1 was a tad bit dry but the other 2 came out fine. I think with some tuning plates, water pan and better fire management I should have things under control soon. Then I'll attempt a brisket.
I didn't wash mine before seasoning. Am I in trouble-?

I didn't wash mine before seasoning. Am I in trouble-?
I only saw someone say wash it out with 409 or Dawn on this forum so I probably half ass washed it out with Dawn. I don't think it's necessary as you can just burn it and season it. I'm ready to attempt some beef ribs and brisket now that it's not 1000 degrees outside. Just waiting on my tuning plates to ship.

I only saw someone say wash it out with 409 or Dawn on this forum so I probably half washed it out with Dawn. I don't think it's necessary as you can just burn it and season it. I'm ready to attempt some beef ribs and brisket now that it's not 1000 degrees outside. Just waiting on my tuning plates to ship.
What are tuning plates-?

Last edited by a moderator:
Locomotive Breath Locomotive Breath Thanks for the posts and pics!

I’m curious to know who many cooks you’ve done since the photos of prime and paint? And how well the paint has weathered?

Would you advise others to invest the time, effort, and money with degreasing, priming, and painting their pit? I’m having my first pit built and I would like to know how long the added prime and paint may last? Whether it’s an annual, semi annual, process?

The finish looks better from the spray can vs 1qt brush-on. Not sure if I should go with the brush-on for better/thicker coverage?
@OILFIELDTOOL Thanks!
About five, now. Took the hot part of the summer off, as I have had a lot of family activities. Just yesterday, I smoked TWO Boston Butts, and both came out so nicely. I used my labyrinth SUCCESSFULLY for the first time this time around. Keep the walls of the labyrinth clear of flammables do it doesn't jump over! The food is the best I've done yet...

Painting and seasoning now, it's holding - though it's clearly going to require touch-up, even after a few cooks.

D Dvmmatt
NICE! I believe that EVERY session will be a little bit of trial and error - and the trials will eliminate errors, while also letting you learn how to improvise to overcome the errors. It's truly a manly sport... playing with fire and dead animal flesh makes me grunt and growl - me become like caveman! :)

J John Ramsey
I read that there's manufacturing slag and a protective grease on everything, so I did it to get that off. Someone said it wasn't good for ya... I think it's for those who want the extra bit of precaution, which seemed worthwhile to me.

What are tuning plates-?
I'll be HAPPY to be corrected by more (ahem) seasoned members here, but...

Tuning plates are metal plates that channel/direct the hot smoke more evenly through the cook chamber in your smoker. More even smoking, and your "hot spot" isn't SO hot or SO localized, and the cooking is much more even. Less fuss means you won't have to open the smoker and turn the food as much - if at all.

All I did was take the metal coal plate (in the bottom of the fire box) and put it (upside down) into the cook chamber, close to the smoke inlet. It's thick and heavy enough to work well, though I'm sure I could buy real tuning plates that'd be better. So far, so good - but my "mad smokin' skillz" aren't good enough to blame any meal time flaws on inadequate tuning plates yet LOL... In fact, not one of my smoked meals has had anything but rave reviews, so I'm pretty sure I'd call this plate setup a success.

BTW, in the firebox, I use a big, heavy labyrinth instead of the OEM/Old Country parts, am still experimenting with it, but making progress with every meal.

I'm debating tuning plates for my OC Brazos. But concerned about them restricting air flow.

This fella installed tuning plates on his OC Brazos and made a vid. But a little ways down in the comments, he repliest to " Steve O " , that he does not use the plates anymore. Which makes my decision even tougher.

This fella installed tuning plates on his OC Brazos and made a vid. But a little ways down in the comments, he repliest to " Steve O " , that he does not use the plates anymore. Which makes my decision even tougher.

@Smokin Okie did you see in the video, where in his firebox, he had that steel plate to support his chimney coal starter? THAT plate was what I removed and put in the cook chamber, upside down, to act like a tuning plate.

I used the plate the first couple of times, just like he did, which was, for me, not as good because:
  • I wanted more air coming up through the coals from below - this plate forced the intake airflow across the top of the coals
  • I wanted the coals to stay in place instead of making an avalanche as they burned down, and the labyrinth cage I got to use in its place is exactly what I needed (also lets fresh air better from beneath)
  • Starting the fire in the chimney, in the fire box, is a tight fit, not easy to transfer the coals out without dropping a hot coal where I don't want to, etc. I did that the first couple of times, and it wasn't near as easy as starting, running, and finishing in the labyrinth
Great video, though!

He says at the end, he wants to increase air flow/convection with the tuning plates installed. I wonder what cooking with the door open would do ? He does not address any firebox changes.

And replacing that firebox grate with some expanded metal. I made a new grate of expanded metal and I think its increased air flow.

I can easily see how the tuning plates with the door closed would put back pressure on air flow and using only the damper on the door would not allow enough air flow for a clean fire.

But I think to know that, I'm gonna have to buy some tuning plates and find out for myself.

He says at the end, he wants to increase air flow/convection with the tuning plates installed. I wonder what cooking with the door open would do ? He does not address any firebox changes.

And replacing that firebox grate with some expanded metal. I made a new grate of expanded metal and I think its increased air flow.

I can easily see how the tuning plates with the door closed would put back pressure on air flow and using only the damper on the door would not allow enough air flow for a clean fire.

But I think to know that, I'm gonna have to buy some tuning plates and find out for myself.
I cooked with my door open and the flue wide open the ribs near the flue were over cooked and the ribs near the fire box were perfect. I did let my fire get away from me once. I wasn't using tuning plates. I had too many ribs in there too so next time I will do one less rack and use a water pan near the firebox for one smoke. Then the next one I will try it near the flue.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky