Ok. Second try for my first time...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Unique Name

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 8, 2019
Hey, y'all. My first smoking attempt was rained out last week so I've decided to try this weekend.
I'm looking to do some 3 2 1 ribs.
Here's my question...
How much/many briquettes should I use?
I'm going with the minion method and
I'm using the WSM 18er...
Thanks for any and all replies!

Hi UniqueName, Welcome. I just joined as well and this is a good place for info!

I also have a WSM 18 and for ribs I will fill about 1/2 the charcoal ring with unlit charcoal, mix in a couple chunks of wood such as apple, and then dump in about 1/2 a chimney of lit charcoal. Keep the top vent open and control the temp using the bottom vents. I usually can run at 230 - 250 for the duration of ribs. If you are doing 3-2-1, run a little cooler, about 225 ish. Wait a bit until the smoke goes mostly clear and clean, perhaps 1/2 hour or so, and this will also stabilize the temp. Once the ribs go on, the temp will drop a little, but it will come back up. WSMs are close to "set and forget" once dialed in. Are you using a water pan at all?

Good luck and post some pics of the smoke!

HowlingDog

Reactions: Unique Name
Hi UniqueName, Welcome. I just joined as well and this is a good place for info!

I also have a WSM 18 and for ribs I will fill about 1/2 the charcoal ring with unlit charcoal, mix in a couple chunks of wood such as apple, and then dump in about 1/2 a chimney of lit charcoal. Keep the top vent open and control the temp using the bottom vents. I usually can run at 230 - 250 for the duration of ribs. If you are doing 3-2-1, run a little cooler, about 225 ish. Wait a bit until the smoke goes mostly clear and clean, perhaps 1/2 hour or so, and this will also stabilize the temp. Once the ribs go on, the temp will drop a little, but it will come back up. WSMs are close to "set and forget" once dialed in. Are you using a water pan at all?

Good luck and post some pics of the smoke!

HowlingDog
I don't know much about the water pan's function. I read that sometimes there is water in it. Sometimes nothing. Sometimes sand.
Any suggestions?

Hi Unique, With my 22" WSM I always fill the charcoal ring up and make a dimple in the middle of it that goes down to the charcoal grate. Bury two to three chunks of wood(depending on size and how much smoke I looking for) in the charcoal and then fill the dimple up with about 6 to 8 lit briquettes. All vents are wide open on startup. When I get about 30 degrees from my target temp I start closing down the bottom vents. The top vent stays open at all times. The smoker should stabilize in about a half an hour to forty five minutes.

I don't use water in the pan. Why waste fuel trying to heat up the water. Just cover the pan with aluminum foil for easy clean up. When I'm done with the cook I'll close down all vents and snuff out the charcoal. The remaining unburnt coals will be used on my next cook or in the kettle.

Chris

Hi Unique, With my 22" WSM I always fill the charcoal ring up and make a dimple in the middle of it that goes down to the charcoal grate. Bury two to three chunks of wood(depending on size and how much smoke I looking for) in the charcoal and then fill the dimple up with about 6 to 8 lit briquettes. All vents are wide open on startup. When I get about 30 degrees from my target temp I start closing down the bottom vents. The top vent stays open at all times. The smoker should stabilize in about a half an hour to forty five minutes.

I don't use water in the pan. Why waste fuel trying to heat up the water. Just cover the pan with aluminum foil for easy clean up. When I'm done with the cook I'll close down all vents and snuff out the charcoal. The remaining unburnt coals will be used on my next cook or in the kettle.

Chris
Thanks for the reply, Chris!
When you say you close up the vents and snuff out the coals, are you physically snuffing the coals out or just letting them burn themselves out?

By closing down the vents including the top vent - the coals will go out on their own. They can be reused on your next cook. No oxygen = no burning. I do the same thing with my kettles, unless I'm using the Vortex. I always use a full ring so I don't come up short on heat during the cooks. Reloading the smoker with coals, can cause the ash to get onto your food.

Chris

By closing down the vents including the top vent - the coals will go out on their own. They can be reused on your next cook. No oxygen = no burning. I do the same thing with my kettles, unless I'm using the Vortex. I always use a full ring so I don't come up short on heat during the cooks. Reloading the smoker with coals, can cause the ash to get onto your food.

Chris
Cool.
Thanks for the info.

Enjoy your WSM and don't overthink things. That 18" of yours is a miser in charcoal usage compared to the 22". They're very simple to use, but if you have any questions feel free to ask. The first few times it may run on the hot side, but that will settle in once you've built up the interior seasoning.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky