lone star grillz first couple cooks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

auerjr

Smoke Blower
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 31, 2019
WI
I received my 20"x42" pellet smoker last week!! It was ordered on June 21st. and I received it on Oct. 17th. 16wks (website says 8-14wk).

Frist cook was a whole chicken, smoked with cookingpellets.com perfect mix. Chicken turned out good. It was little over cooked but still tasted good.
IMG_9628.jpg IMG_9630.jpg IMG_9631.jpg

Next cook was some short ribs (my first attempt at cooking short ribs) smoked with cookingpellets.com perfect mix w/ lone star's oak wood chips. seasoned with meat church holy gospel. Ribs turned out very good! will be cooking some of these again!! didn't have any leftovers.
IMG_9632.jpg IMG_9634.jpg IMG_9638.jpg IMG_9639.jpg IMG_9640.jpg

I'm very happy with the new smoker, still have some learning to do. All ways fun figuring out a new toy!

Chicken looks good. I'd be using that in a lot of recipes. And those ribs.....WOWSA! I can see why there werent any leftovers!

Jim

Reactions: Redicans
I received my 20"x42" pellet smoker last week!! It was ordered on June 21st. and I received it on Oct. 17th. 16wks (website says 8-14wk).

Frist cook was a whole chicken, smoked with cookingpellets.com perfect mix. Chicken turned out good. It was little over cooked but still tasted good.
View attachment 679179View attachment 679180View attachment 679181

Next cook was some short ribs (my first attempt at cooking short ribs) smoked with cookingpellets.com perfect mix w/ lone star's oak wood chips. seasoned with meat church holy gospel. Ribs turned out very good! will be cooking some of these again!! didn't have any leftovers.
View attachment 679183View attachment 679184View attachment 679185View attachment 679186View attachment 679187

I'm very happy with the new smoker, still have some learning to do. All ways fun figuring out a new toy!
great first incursion. looks great.

WooHoo, I love new toys! And that's a really nice one. Hope to see a lot more of that cooking machine in the future. :emoji_thumbsup:

Congrats! Glad you delivery time wasn't as long as mine.
The app is a learning experience itself.
If you have any questions, post them. I may be able to answer them.

Chicken looks good. I'd be using that in a lot of recipes. And those ribs.....WOWSA! I can see why there werent any leftovers!

Jim
Thanks, I'll be making a shepherd's pie tonight for dinner with the leftover chicken.

Reactions: JLeonard
WooHoo, I love new toys! And that's a really nice one. Hope to see a lot more of that cooking machine in the future. :emoji_thumbsup:
not sure what my next cook will be.... thinking of trying to smoke some jerky? idk whatever it is I'll post my results.

Reactions: Colin1230
Congrats! Glad you delivery time wasn't as long as mine.
The app is a learning experience itself.
If you have any questions, post them. I may be able to answer them.
The app is a learning experience! I thought I had it figured out but then I wasn't getting an alarm or notification.... I used a custom program for the ribs, and it worked great.

That’s a couple of nice cooks out of the gate! Oh and congrats on the new smoker!

The app is a learning experience! I thought I had it figured out but then I wasn't getting an alarm or notification.... I used a custom program for the ribs, and it worked great.
I had alerting issues at first too as well as some other issues.
A hard reboot of the controller resolved them (hopefully permanently).

Side note - If your grill is in the sun, the pit probe (port 7) will read higher than ambient temp.
Fought that issue for a long time.
Chris sent me a new probe, but that didn't solve the problem.
When installing the new one the light bulb 💡 turned on.
The probe is in direct contact to the 3/16" thick side wall.
The grill is absorbing heat from the sun and raising the probe temp.
I guess that is a problem with a lot of pellet grills, but thin wall ones probably don't notice as much.
So, I have been using a probe in port 6 at grate level as the pit probe. You can set that in the app.
On my todo list is to drill out the hole for the pit to a larger diameter.
and insulate the mounting bracket so probe has no contact with pit wall.
Hopefully that will bring the pit probe closer to ambient temp.

There is an offset you can set for the probe, but since ambient is not the same every day, you have to set it every time you cook.
And it is a real PITA to do. Has to be done at the controller.

I had alerting issues at first too as well as some other issues.
A hard reboot of the controller resolved them (hopefully permanently).

Side note - If your grill is in the sun, the pit probe (port 7) will read higher than ambient temp.
Fought that issue for a long time.
Chris sent me a new probe, but that didn't solve the problem.
When installing the new one the light bulb 💡 turned on.
The probe is in direct contact to the 3/16" thick side wall.
The grill is absorbing heat from the sun and raising the probe temp.
I guess that is a problem with a lot of pellet grills, but thin wall ones probably don't notice as much.
So, I have been using a probe in port 6 at grate level as the pit probe. You can set that in the app.
On my todo list is to drill out the hole for the pit to a larger diameter.
and insulate the mounting bracket so probe has no contact with pit wall.
Hopefully that will bring the pit probe closer to ambient temp.

There is an offset you can set for the probe, but since ambient is not the same every day, you have to set it every time you cook.
And it is a real PITA to do. Has to be done at the controller.
I will have to try the reboot.

Thats interesting that the sun was affecting the temp probe, I'll have to remember that for next summer. I'm in Wisconsin, it's been in the low 50's this past week. I have not noticed a big temp difference between port 7 and the temp probe I placed at grate level.

I will have to try the reboot.

Thats interesting that the sun was affecting the temp probe, I'll have to remember that for next summer. I'm in Wisconsin, it's been in the low 50's this past week. I have not noticed a big temp difference between port 7 and the temp probe I placed at grate level.
I'm in New Mexico and has been in the high 70's to low 80's.
When I would turn it on the probe would show over 100f. Even higher when ambient was higher.
Eventually it will get within a decent range once the air temp inside the pit gets up to temp of the metal.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky