• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Glad to see you back posting Disco! You returned with a bang!! It looks amazing. You also educated this Ohio guy on the Ohio origin of the name for trail bologna. Never realized that. I can buy a ton of Troyer products in my area for sure, especially at my favorite Amish market.

Thanks very much. I am jealous of being able to buy Troyer sausage.

Oh yea, that is something I'd really like. Going to give it a try for sure. Thanks David.

Thanks, Braz, they did turn out well.

Good work and thanks for the recipe. Those look like they turned out great. I will be trying this out with some venison and pork. I live smack dab in the middle of Amish country in Ohio but never knew the origin of trail bologna. Thanks again!

This works great with game! I hope you like it!

Disco , looks great bud . Hope things are getting back to normal for you .

Thanks. The world is returning to what I foolishly call normal!

Your bologna came out beautiful, great write up and step by step. Going from the A-Maze-N tube to the oven then back to the smoker, nice piece of work, Like. RAY

Thanks, RAY. We do have to work with what we have.

Disco!! MIA or not, it's always great to see your smiling face my friend. Bologna looks great!! That has been a bit of a nemesis for me. Tried a couple times and it just didn't come out right. I may have to give this one a run though. I've never made anything that you've posted that wasn't fantastic.

On a different note, I notice that you have an OFG version of pretty much everything on the planet :emoji_laughing: It's all good though, that's for sure!!

Robert

Har, Robert! I find the secret with bologna is to not try and make it as finely ground as store bought. Just beat it until it gets pasty and you will will get a great texture if you smoke it slowly increasing temperatures.

Wow! looks great!

As far as "uncivilized" goes, I read one study that 91 % of Canadians use Imperial measure for height and weight.

87% use metric for temperature when addressing weather, 78% use Fahrenheit for cooking.

besides our family recipe for Panhas turns our perfect using uncivilized measurements every time!

going to try your recipe soon.

Thanks for the kind words. As for Canadians being all over the map on measures, guilty as charged, particularly us older Canadians. The young ones are going more metric.

Wow a great post by Disco again. Sorry to hear you had some promblems hope all is now good.

Warren

Life is going well now! Thanks for the kind words.

Funny, I was just thinking a few night back I hadn't see any post from you in a while. Glad to see you back to cooking & sharing. Jana & I also recently discussed grinding some of our own meat. Great post as always David. Try and stay warm with all that snow.

Thanks for the encouragement. We did have a foot of snow yesterday so more shoveling is in my future.

disco, this is one fantastic looking bologna! Great job. One question though: one exactly you didn't like in texture of 100% of beef bologna? Just curious...

Thanks! I just find a touch of pork fat gives a better feel on the tongue. It is just a personal preference thing.

That looks amazing disco disco ! I give this an uncivilized , good old Yankee thumbs up!!

Thanks so much!

Disco, what size were your casing? I'm going to make some of this, but I'll have to smoke it on Webber Kettle. My MES is down until can get a PID controller for. I should be able to smoke two 16" long clubs in my Webber.

Thanks Ed

Disco, what size were your casing? I'm going to make some of this, but I'll have to smoke it on Webber Kettle. My MES is down until can get a PID controller for. I should be able to smoke two 16" long clubs in my Webber.

Thanks Ed

I normally use 75 mm (3 inch) but used 50 mm (2 inch) this time. They were 12 inches long.

I hope you like it as much as we do!

Looks spectacular Disco, welcome back. Hope all is well.

Thanks. It is good to be back in the saddle.

D, Another awesome looking sausage,thanks for the uncivilized recipe too !

Har! One day, you 'mericans will join the rest of the world in the metric system! Thanks for the kind words.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky