OFG Summer Sausage, Step by Step and Video

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I chose 19 mm (sa:3/4") because it was more economical than smaller sizes. And yeah, More to chew. LOL.

Not sure where you're at with this , but might want to make sure the 19 mm casings fit the smallest tube you have .

Not sure where you're at with this , but might want to make sure the 19 mm casings fit the smallest tube you have .

Haven't done anymore than printed Disco's Recipe, and thawed some meat so far.
Kind of building my courage up. Big adventure!
I have a 1/2" O.D. stuffer tube, and a 3/4" O.D. stuffer tube right now. But those are for the KitchenAid grinder attachment, which Disco told me is kind of bad at stuffing.
So I can see how trying to stuff with the KA might get me started, but I ordered a real stuffer. It's on Backorder, so sitting on my thumbs for a stuffer.
I checked and it looks like the 19 mm will easily fit over the 1/2" tube I have. So I'm going to make some paste and see how moves. Just want to get it going for a trial. Good, Bad, or Otherwise. :emoji_wink:

I chose 19 mm (sa:3/4") because it was more economical than smaller sizes. And yeah, More to chew. LOL.

Do you ever use a "binder" in your sausage recipes?
I have in the past and it gives a good texture. Then I started using 1/2 pork and 1/2 beef and found I like that texture more than with the binders. However, you have to smoke more carefully to avoid a fat out.

I have in the past and it gives a good texture. Then I started using 1/2 pork and 1/2 beef and found I like that texture more than with the binders. However, you have to smoke more carefully to avoid a fat out.

Made up a batch of this; I can vouch that the recipe/process is as good as it looks! I added a half-dose of phosphates (Hunters Special Binder). I ended with a real light-colored summer sausage, I think largely because I was having problems keeping the smoke going, but it tastes good and is appropriately smoky.

20190407_195751184_iOS.jpg 20190409_171757784_iOS.jpg 20190409_171857036_iOS.jpg

That looks great.
Question for you, did you calculate the amount of instacure needed by the weight of the meat?
Is there any reason that I could not use Morton's Tender Quick in place of the instacure?

I have both but lately I tend to lean toward using the tender quick.

You absolutely, positively can use Tender Quick in summer sausage.

The instructions on the bag have the recommended amounts of TQ for whole meats vs ground meats.

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't.

The difference is in the amounts of each in a given amount of meat(whole or ground).

Made summer sausage with both cures. Pick a recipe that works for you.

Tender Quick makes great sausage SS . The amount on the bag is for whole muscle meat , unless there has been a change I'm not aware of . The correct amount for ground meat is 1 1/2 tsp per pound . When it comes to TQ don't trust what you see on other sites . Ask here , or follow a Morton's recipe .

You absolutely, positively can use Tender Quick in summer sausage.

The instructions on the bag have the recommended amounts of TQ for whole meats vs ground meats.

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't.

The difference is in the amounts of each in a given amount of meat(whole or ground).

Made summer sausage with both cures. Pick a recipe that works for you.

Tender Quick makes great sausage SS . The amount on the bag is for whole muscle meat , unless there has been a change I'm not aware of . The correct amount for ground meat is 1 1/2 tsp per pound . When it comes to TQ don't trust what you see on other sites . Ask here , or follow a Morton's recipe .

It is true that you can make SS with tenderquick but you do have to adjust both the amount of curing salt and regular salt as Tenderquick is made up with more salt and less nitrite/nitrate.

It is true that you can make SS with tenderquick but you do have to adjust both the amount of curing salt and regular salt as Tenderquick is made up with more salt and less nitrite/nitrate.
TQ would be the cure , so no curing salt to adjust . I know you know that . Yes no added salt , just the Tender quick .

Reactions: bill ace 350

I may be misinterpreting this, but are you suggesting using tenderquick in addition to another cure?

I may be misinterpreting this, but are you suggesting using tenderquick in addition to another cure?

No, what they are saying is when you use TQ, you don't add "ANY" salt, because TQ is mostly salt.
If you add 4 TBS of TQ, you are virtually adding 4 TBS of salt, plus the very small amount of cure like you would use if you were using cure #1.

Bear

No, what they are saying is when you use TQ, you don't add "ANY" salt, because TQ is mostly salt.
If you add 4 TBS of TQ, you are virtually adding 4 TBS of salt, plus the very small amount of cure like you would use if you were using cure #1.

Bear
Bear has it right.

Great video, Disco!!! A number 1 tutorial on making summer sausage--best I've ever seen.
I especially like the look of the texture--no big pieces of fat, which I hate.
I'm not much on store bought summer sausage because of the fat, but yours looks fantastic. I also like the absence of fermentation in the process--I just don't have the time for that.
I'm definitely going to give this a whirl.
Absolutely POINT worthy.
Gary

Great video, Disco!!! A number 1 tutorial on making summer sausage--best I've ever seen.
I especially like the look of the texture--no big pieces of fat, which I hate.
I'm not much on store bought summer sausage because of the fat, but yours looks fantastic. I also like the absence of fermentation in the process--I just don't have the time for that.
I'm definitely going to give this a whirl.
Absolutely POINT worthy.
Gary
Thanks, Gary. This recipe is based on the old style Summer Sausage that farmers and hunters made when there wasn't access to all the chemical additives. I really like it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky