OFG Smokies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thank you Disco

Excellent detailed instructions and with pictures. And yes i bookmarked this as i want to do smokies and sausages this spring , or whenever the weather warms up here. I will have to practice with my smoker to see if i can get the temps down before i try them, as i know i don't want to loose the fat content before they are ready.

David

Thank you Disco

Excellent detailed instructions and with pictures. And yes i bookmarked this as i want to do smokies and sausages this spring , or whenever the weather warms up here. I will have to practice with my smoker to see if i can get the temps down before i try them, as i know i don't want to loose the fat content before they are ready.

David

Good luck with the sausages. If your smoker won't go low enough, check your oven to see if it has a low controllable warm setting. You can cold smoke the sausage and then use your oven.

Looks delicous disco

Thanks, Jim! I did like the result.

Holy Cow those look awesome Disco as usual.:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

For a smoker company to be consistently out of stock parts doesn't lend its self to very much consumer confidence. Sad, that everything is made in China these days...how did we ever let it get so bad?

Holy Cow those look awesome Disco as usual.:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

For a smoker company to be consistently out of stock parts doesn't lend its self to very much consumer confidence. Sad, that everything is made in China these days...how did we ever let it get so bad?

Truth but it appears to be a problem with lots of things. A buddy wants to get a Bradley P10. They haven't been able to manufacture them as they can't get the parts. Some auto parts aren't available. Etc. It appears the pandemic is showing some supply chains to be fragile.

True but mainly made in China their junk is having a hard time getting into the US which I think is awesome. If it makes just a few people start to buy American once again I'll be happy. But with this new joke of an administration here in the US China will have a wide open door once again. What a sad state of affairs this country is in.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Sorry to hear the Traeger is down. The Smokies look and sound great. I'm a little surprised you are sensing heat from 1ml of Sriracha. Then again, Y'all are pretty far from Texas and Mexico up there!☺...JJ

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Welcome back Disco!

I've never heard of these smokies you refer to....are they like a Canadian form of rustic American farm hot dogs?

Well, smokies up here are thicker, coarser, and more well-seasoned than hot dogs. They also tend to be smoked longer. Most hot dogs here are skinless and smokies are usually done in hog casings (I went collagen for ease).

They are often made with cheese and jalapenos in them for an add on.

Sorry to hear the Traeger is down. The Smokies look and sound great. I'm a little surprised you are sensing heat from 1ml of Sriracha. Then again, Y'all are pretty far from Texas and Mexico up there!☺...JJ

Well, it has cayenne, too! There is no doubt that it isn't a mouth burner but the paprika, Sriracha, and cayenne, there is just a touch of heat at the finish.

Looks really good Disco!!! Glad your back as well, I have been gone for awhile as well, life has caught up to us as well. Been back to work since July and not much for time off. But good to be making a paycheck again.

Looks really good Disco!!! Glad your back as well, I have been gone for awhile as well, life has caught up to us as well. Been back to work since July and not much for time off. But good to be making a paycheck again.
Hi ab. I am a fellow Albertan also. I sent you a note the other day regarding your swiss cheese and bacon smokies. Can you tell me your meat combination for that batch? Barry

Hi ab. I am a fellow Albertan also. I sent you a note the other day regarding your swiss cheese and bacon smokies. Can you tell me your meat combination for that batch? Barry
I just saw your reply. Thanks. I am from Sylvan Lake. Where are you from? Regarding your mix, are you saying besides the 65/35 mix, you add another 4 lbs of bacon? What kind of bacon do you recommend?

I am west of Edmonton, Grew up in Red Deer. When I add the bacon I usually buy thin slice the cheap stuff or what's on sale. , Walmart brand superstore. Cut it into small pieces and mix in with the meat. I have experimented with deer/pork in sausages and prefer that ratio. You could go 60/40 or 70/30, depends on your tastes, pork availability and budget. I usually use pork trim as we raise and butcher about 6-8 pigs /yr. Before that I would buy pork shoulders for sausage.

I am west of Edmonton, Grew up in Red Deer. When I add the bacon I usually buy thin slice the cheap stuff or what's on sale. , Walmart brand superstore. Cut it into small pieces and mix in with the meat. I have experimented with deer/pork in sausages and prefer that ratio. You could go 60/40 or 70/30, depends on your tastes, pork availability and budget. I usually use pork trim as we raise and butcher about 6-8 pigs /yr. Before that I would buy pork shoulders for sausage.
Thank you very much. Hoping to make 5 lbs in the next week or so. Barry

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky