OFG Meatloaf

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
Mealoaf was pretty bland when I was growing up but I loved it anyway. There is something about ground meat formed into a loaf and baked. It gets a great texture, keeps moist and makes the best leftover sandwiches.

Of course, I have added a bit more flavour to my meatloaf than the ones of my childhood but it is still a major comfort food to me, particularly when it is cooked on a smoker.

I have just called for ground beef. I like to use fattier regular ground beef. She Who Must Be Obeyed prefers lean ground beef. Guess which I usually use!

I started off by mixing the fill and flavourings for my meatloaf:

• 175 ml ( 3/4 cup) dry bread crumbs
  • 40 ml (3 tbsp) ketchup
  • 40 ml (3 tbsp) HP Sauce or your favourite steak sauce
  • 20 ml (4 tsp) Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 eggs
  • 10 ml (2 tsp) Creole or Cajun seasoning mix
  • 7 ml (1 1/2 tsp) garlic powder
  • 5 ml (1 tsp) Italian seasoning mix
I used my home made Creole seasonings but you can use a commercial mix.

OFG Meatloaf 01.jpg

Set the mixture aside.

I heated up a frying pan over medium high heat and added 125 ml (1/2 cup) of chopped bacon. I used bacon trimmings from when I slice my home made bacon. Cook until starting to brown. Add 1/2 of a large onion, finely chopped, and cook until the onion is translucent and soft.

OFG Meatloaf 02.jpg

Add the onion and bacon to the bread crumb mixture. Crumble 1 kg (2 pounds) beef over the mixture and mix lightly until well combined.

Form the beef into a loaf shape. If smoking, put it on a perforated smoking rack. If cooking in the oven, Put it in a loaf pan.

OFG Meatloaf 03.jpg

Put the beef in a smoker preheated to 250 F and cook to an internal temperature of 160 F. It took about 1 hour 45 minutes.

While the meat is cooking, mix up a sauce of:

• 40 ml (3 tbsp) ketchup
  • 40 ml (3 tbsp) mustard
  • 40 ml (3 tbsp) barbecue sauce (I used Koss Sauce)
  • 25 ml (2 tbsp) brown sugar
When the internal temperature is 160 F, brush the loaf with the sauce and cook 15 to 20 minutes longer, until the sauce begins to set.

OFG Meatloaf 04.jpg

Let the meatloaf rest for 10 minutes, slice and serve.

OFG Meatloaf 05.jpg

OFG Meatloaf 06.jpg

The Verdict:

This is a classic meatloaf with more flavour and complexity. I love the dense texture, moist meat and meaty bold flavour.

Disco

Great looking meatloaf Disco. I've never added bacon to meatloaf, either. I do use ground sausage added to the ground beef, though.

Like!

I am not permitted to tamper with SWMBO's meatloaf recipe but there was that time I convinced her to cook it with mesquite in the smoker instead of the oven. That is now the only way it gets done around here. I consider that a rare win.

Thanks, Disco! Looks deeeelicious. Gave me some ideas, too. I have never tried bacon in my meatloaf. I will, soon!

Thanks! I started doing it to use up the end trimmings off my bacon in chili. Now I use it as a base for a lot of dishes to add a touch of smoke!

Great looking meatloaf Disco. I've never added bacon to meatloaf, either. I do use ground sausage added to the ground beef, though.

Like!

Sausage? Brilliant!

Disco I like the recipe but I see you added onions. Like
Richie

Sorry, Richie, we love onions around here!

Great looking loaf there Disco!

Like!

John

Thanks for the compliment, John!

I am not permitted to tamper with SWMBO's meatloaf recipe but there was that time I convinced her to cook it with mesquite in the smoker instead of the oven. That is now the only way it gets done around here. I consider that a rare win.

Har! I have the same problem with my missus' lasagne. I would like to experiment but apparently I am wrong!

Disco that looks and sounds fantastic!! I love meatloaf smoked. HP sauce huh, quickly ID’s you as Canadian yes?

Meatloaf looks awesome! Definitely great comfort food! I think my favorite part about making meatloaf is the sandwiches made with the leftovers! Im curious about the potato salad....that also looks great!

Reactions: chopsaw and Demonco
Well done Disco, I really like the bacon added in the mix.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks and sounds amazing Disco!! Big LIKE!! I now have a new meatloaf recipe :emoji_laughing: Mine is good and has served us well but yours sounds much better. This is one of those things that there are as many recipes out there as there are people that love meatloaf. It's just a matter of finding one that knocks your socks off, and this appears that it will. Looks like you got a nice smoke ring on it too. That just adds to the visual appeal, but it bet it adds to the overall flavor also!!

This WILL be cooked in the next few days,
Robert

Just now seeing this one . Looks great as always . Love a left over meat loaf sandwich , and the tater salad does look fantastic too .
Just did a batch of bratwurst that was 4 lbs ground pork 1 lb ground bacon .
Adds something for sure . I bet it's great in a meat loaf .
Nice work .

Well...the time has come. Tracy got what she wanted for dinner last night, it's my turn. I'm gonna make this along with some garlic mashed taters and fresh steamed green beans...or something similar.

Thank you again Disco!!
Robert

Meatloaf has not been on our menu for a VERY long time. I love it, but the other half has too deep seeded childhood meatloaf memories to get over ever trying it again. Her complaint was how the loaf swims in its own grease. Her mom put peas (and carrots) in it also...

Yours looks like a winning (convincing) combo to try... Wish me luck!
Like!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky