OFG Meatloaf

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dear Disco,
Please forgive me if this is construed as hijacking your thread. That is not the intention. My purpose is to enhance it and showcase your incredibly, amazing meal.

Sincerely,
Robert

Alright....enough with the silliness :emoji_laughing: I did in fact make this yesterday and is was brain numbingly good!! I didn't have steak sauce but made some using beef broth, bouillon, and a few other things as a substitute. I also added some thinly sliced green onions as well as using 1 pound of 85/15 ground beef and a pounf of homemade spicy Italian sausage. Sadly, I also got my measuring cups mixed up and was a bit heavy handed with the bread crumbs....like 2x as many as called for. The 1 cup and half cup got substituted for the half cup and quarter cup. It was a bit dry, but the flavor was outstanding!! I'm not gonna post every pic, just a couple.

Meatloaf formed and into the grilling wok
008.jpg

Half way through on the new Rec Tec. Looking good!!
010.jpg

Dinner. Made some homemade garlic mashed potatoes with beef gravy and a nice salad
012.jpg

Thank you sir for posting this!! It has replaced the recipe I've had for a couple years and I don't see a meatloaf ever getting any better. Just a really nice balance of flavors, some depth, and a richness that brings deep comfort to the soul. As always, you and your contributions continue to shine as stars!!

Really good stuff,
Robert

Disco that looks and sounds fantastic!! I love meatloaf smoked. HP sauce huh, quickly ID’s you as Canadian yes?

Thanks so much. Actually, HP Sauce originated in England but is very popular here in Canada. I use it a lot. So, yes, it is a Canadian staple. You really need to try Hawkins Cheesies, Ketchup potato chips, and real poutine (not the cheese and gravy version served in most restaurants).

Meatloaf looks awesome! Definitely great comfort food! I think my favorite part about making meatloaf is the sandwiches made with the leftovers! Im curious about the potato salad....that also looks great!

It is made by She Who Must Be Obeyed and is supposed to be lower fat. Normally, I don't trust lower fat recipes but this one is good.

Well done Disco, I really like the bacon added in the mix.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanksk for the point, Chris. I started using chopped fried trimmings from my bacon smokes for different dishes. They add a great flavour!

Looks and sounds amazing Disco!! Big LIKE!! I now have a new meatloaf recipe :emoji_laughing: Mine is good and has served us well but yours sounds much better. This is one of those things that there are as many recipes out there as there are people that love meatloaf. It's just a matter of finding one that knocks your socks off, and this appears that it will. Looks like you got a nice smoke ring on it too. That just adds to the visual appeal, but it bet it adds to the overall flavor also!!

This WILL be cooked in the next few days,
Robert

Thanks, Robert! I have never believed one recipe is better than another. They are just different and will appeal to different tastes. As for the smoke ring, I do like my meatloaf smoked!

Looks great I am also interested in the potato salad recipe anyway you could post that to
Thanks Mike.

Thanks for the retweet. I just asked She Who Must Be Obeyed for her recipe for the potato salad and shrugged her shoulders and said "What recipe? I just make it." Sorry!

Just now seeing this one . Looks great as always . Love a left over meat loaf sandwich , and the tater salad does look fantastic too .
Just did a batch of bratwurst that was 4 lbs ground pork 1 lb ground bacon .
Adds something for sure . I bet it's great in a meat loaf .
Nice work .

Thanks so much, chopsaw! Bacon in Bratwurst? Sounds brilliant! I will have to give it a try. I assume you put it in raw?

Meatloaf has not been on our menu for a VERY long time. I love it, but the other half has too deep seeded childhood meatloaf memories to get over ever trying it again. Her complaint was how the loaf swims in its own grease. Her mom put peas (and carrots) in it also...

Yours looks like a winning (convincing) combo to try... Wish me luck!
Like!

Thanks for the like! I am with her on cooking a meatloaf in a laof pan. It always seems greasy to me. I always cook it on a rack. However, there is a fight here as She Who Must Be Obeyed likes lean ground beef in her meatloaf and I like regular. Needless to say, it is usually lean. We have to keep the beautiful ladies happy!

that just looks great all around! likin it!

Thank you so much!

Dear Disco,
Please forgive me if this is construed as hijacking your thread. That is not the intention. My purpose is to enhance it and showcase your incredibly, amazing meal.

Sincerely,
Robert

Alright....enough with the silliness :emoji_laughing: I did in fact make this yesterday and is was brain numbingly good!! I didn't have steak sauce but made some using beef broth, bouillon, and a few other things as a substitute. I also added some thinly sliced green onions as well as using 1 pound of 85/15 ground beef and a pounf of homemade spicy Italian sausage. Sadly, I also got my measuring cups mixed up and was a bit heavy handed with the bread crumbs....like 2x as many as called for. The 1 cup and half cup got substituted for the half cup and quarter cup. It was a bit dry, but the flavor was outstanding!! I'm not gonna post every pic, just a couple.

Meatloaf formed and into the grilling wok
View attachment 408695

Half way through on the new Rec Tec. Looking good!!
View attachment 408696

Dinner. Made some homemade garlic mashed potatoes with beef gravy and a nice salad
View attachment 408701

Thank you sir for posting this!! It has replaced the recipe I've had for a couple years and I don't see a meatloaf ever getting any better. Just a really nice balance of flavors, some depth, and a richness that brings deep comfort to the soul. As always, you and your contributions continue to shine as stars!!

Really good stuff,
Robert

No problem. I don't see it as a hijack but you should do your own post and get credit for what seems like some great changes. I love the idea of adding Italian sausage. The fennel would really give it another great layer of flavor.

Why cooking is a better hobby/art than most others is that someone takes a recipe, changes it to their tastes and new dishes are being created constantly. I will be stealing -er- borrowing your idea on the Italian sausage!

Disco

Taking something that's freely given would not be considered "stealing" :emoji_wink: If that were the case, I would be guilty stealing a bunch of your recipes and probably be in prison for life as a repeat offender. One thing I forgot to mention is that I decided to forego the bacon. That would be a fantastic addition if it were all ground beef but I was concerned about a possible clash of flavors with the Italian sausage.

Stop that thief!!
Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky