• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BBQMAN3

Original poster
Apr 25, 2023
Hey everyone!

Want you're feedback, have a crazy but cool idea! An offset smoker that can also use pellets!

Check out pictures below of my idea / design. Very simple design. I'd have some sort of platform or something for pellet assembly to sit on.

Main purpose is for overnight smokes or times when I will be away from home extended periods of time and can't babysit the offset.

Having a hard look at a pit builder do this for me. Why have two pits when one can do both is my thought. I'd rather have one good quality pit that can be versatile and have better heat retention. Garage space is also limited too.🙂

Let me know your thoughts / feedback!

Attachments

• IMG_20230420_205043.jpg
    IMG_20230420_205043.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG20230420205137.jpg
    IMG20230420205137.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG20230420205157.jpg
    IMG20230420205157.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20230420_205627.jpg
    IMG_20230420_205627.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot_2023-02-15-22-02-17-42_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-02-15-22-02-17-42_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 56
Reactions: JLeonard
Sounds doable....But how long would it take to get to cook temps with the cook chamber shown in the last pic?

Jim

Sounds doable....But how long would it take to get to cook temps with the cook chamber shown in the last pic?

Jim
Can find some people that have similar concept ideas on YouTube......I don't think it's excessive time to get up to temp. I think it'd be faster than getting coal bed going.

It's a niche type situation to use pellets but I think it's cool to have option to. 🙂

I’ve done it. Just need a good hot firebox On pellets. Was hoping I could have a split for added smoke, but too much airflow and it just burns. Was able to have a pellet tube beneath airflow, but in the end you have an offset with reduced flavor ;). But it can be convenient.

Hey everyone!

Want you're feedback, have a crazy but cool idea! An offset smoker that can also use pellets!

Check out pictures below of my idea / design. Very simple design. I'd have some sort of platform or something for pellet assembly to sit on.

Main purpose is for overnight smokes or times when I will be away from home extended periods of time and can't babysit the offset.

Having a hard look at a pit builder do this for me. Why have two pits when one can do both is my thought. I'd rather have one good quality pit that can be versatile and have better heat retention. Garage space is also limited too.🙂

Let me know your thoughts / feedback!

Jim
I’ve thought about that. Decided against it. I don’t feel the pellet burn pots put out enough BTU’s. I am making a combo, with pellet on the left and wood on the right. I seen some on the from a well known builder.

Saw someone adding a gravity feed to attempting to add gravity feed to their stick burner for the long overnight cooks. Maybe worth exploring if you are open to something other then pellets and doesn’t require an outlet.

Reactions: smokin peachey
It's been done. Jamie Geer at Jambo built one for Candy Sue at BBQr's Delight. She competed with it for a while. IIRC she sold it or at least had it for sale.

I’m thinking about doing the same thing with a pit boss that I was going to throw away. Would it work leaving the offset fire box alone and installing the pellet gear on the opposite side? How would the smoke from the fire box flow?

I’m thinking about doing the same thing with a pit boss that I was going to throw away. Would it work leaving the offset fire box alone and installing the pellet gear on the opposite side? How would the smoke from the fire box flow?
RWLoope,

Pic 1 shows the opening from the firebox to the cooking chamber. Pic2 is the pellet hopper mounting pattern.
After running mine for 5 months it runs like a reverse flow offset when using the offset firebox. I have a heat deflector coming out of the firebox to meet the grease pan. I left about 1/2" gap between the two. Pic 3 shows that if you zoom in a little My cooking chamber is Ø24 by 36. Not huge but the pellet side can get the grill up to about 350°. The offset firebox I can get over 400° if I chose to.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 26
  • Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 18
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 28
Thanks for the reply. I’m deciding whether to mount the hopper to the firebox or mount it on the left side of the cooking chamber, Opposite the firebox. I see pitts and spitts offers what they call the Hybrid but I’m not looking to part with 5k.

Thanks for the reply. I’m deciding whether to mount the hopper to the firebox or mount it on the left side of the cooking chamber, Opposite the firebox. I see pitts and spitts offers what they call the Hybrid but I’m not looking to part with 5k.
If all you need is use the pellet for smoking, then the firebox will work. I have read a couple of threads here on that.

Attachments

• 71469542107__9EBF38BA-1F1F-4797-93E7-767EBE578840.jpeg
    71469542107__9EBF38BA-1F1F-4797-93E7-767EBE578840.jpeg
    315.3 KB · Views: 27
I want the pellets for a heat source and the firebox for smoke. Trying to cheat the system. Tired of adding wood when I should be sleeping. I’m gonna work on it in the morning and will let you know how it turns out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky