Oddly Shaped Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boxkiller

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 15, 2017
South Eastern, PA
I picked up a brisket at Costco, it was the only one they had left so I did not have much choice. I it is kind of oddly shaped not sure if I trimmed it right or not.

Any suggestions on trim if I ever run into this again? Or maybe just not buy it. :emoji_wink:

11.5 Lbs Prime Brisket
SPG for Rub
225 on RT700 with LumberJack Comp Blend Pellets
Spritzed as needed.

Started the cook at 10:00 PM
trimmed.jpg

Wrapped around 11:30 AM (175), lost some bark on the flat.
wrap.jpg

Will update when done, not sure how the point is going to turn out.

Sorry I can't offer any suggestions, looks like you did a nice job. I will say that last week when I was at Costco, they briskets were pretty fatty, which is okay, of course. But, and I'm sure this is nothing nw, but I noticed the grain on the flats of several briskets ran different directions. Just an odd observation.

Looks good from here, as far as trimming I think alot of it is personal preference, some trim more then others.

It does look like a strange butchering job. Waiting for the finish.

I was in Sam's today and they had C.A.B. brisket reduced to $3.00/lb. I have 3 in the freezer now and I didn't need another one, but for the price, I just had to...

It looks like whomever did the breakdown of the front quarter got a bit wonky while cutting the brisket from the rest of the chuck. Looks like you did a great job trimming up what you had.

You don't happen to have any photos before you added rub? It does have an odd shape. The old timers used to call the point the 'nose' and this one looks like it has one. :emoji_laughing:

You don't happen to have any photos before you added rub? It does have an odd shape. The old timers used to call the point the 'nose' and this one looks like it has one. :emoji_laughing:
Sorry did not think to take a picture before I started to trim and put rub on.

I guess I should not have worried to much it turned out pretty good, I pulled it around 1:45 PM and left it rest for almost 5 hrs. We took it to a friends house for dinner and had no complaints and no brisket left. :emoji_laughing:

Sliced
end.jpg

Reactions: smokerjim
Yeah, looks like an Apprentice was breaking down that side. Looks like the rest came out great. Nice bark...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky