NY Loin Roast & Red Potato Mash!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
YUM! nailed it!! I wanted to pick one of those up too!! unfortunately we had no room for one. Next time tho!

great looking cook and meal!
Thanks Sandy! The crazy thing is I was all jazzed that Costco had Prime NY for 11.99/lb that I had grabbed just before and I was like oh man....I guess its a NY weekend! When NY is cheaper than ground......means steak samis!!!

View attachment 475170

That all looks delicious man! I would put down a plate in a heartbeat. Love the strip sales around the holidays.
Thanks SVOL! We eat lots of NY Strip around Christmas time because most people are focused on ham and ribeyes so the strip gets "saled" way down! We usually hunt the lot for the best marbled and then hoard!!!

Beautiful meal bud. Very nice!
Thanks Jake!
WOW!!
What a meal, that is first class!!
Al
Thanks Al, much appreciated!

I had a request for the a more specific Au Jus recipe. I've been making it for such a long time, I just "do it" but here is my best shot at a specific recipe...I just had to add that disclaimer....LOL

Au Jus (Quick Version)

1 can of consommé
2 cups beet stock or broth
½ - ¾ C Red Wine
2tbs Demi Glace (Demi is just a highly concentrated low salt brown sauce. The real deal can be spendy but a good alternative (very reasonably priced) is better than bouillon but is a bit more salty than demi so you have to adjust for that).
1tbs each soy sauce & Worcestershire
Some grated sweet onion about a tbs and a crushed (whole) garlic clove
Fresh - 2 thyme sprigs, 3 sages leaves, about 1/3 inch rosemary sprig. Oh and a pinch to 2 tsp of white sugar at the end to smooth it out, just a pinch at a time though….and at the very very end.

Add all the liquid and demi and bring to a boil then low simmer (need about 20 min) to cook the wine in. Then last 5 min or so put the fresh herbs, onion and garlic in and then let them just seep in till it tastes a bit strong then use a screen spoon the remove them. Adjust the flavor of soy and worc to taste (I don’t really measure these days I just put it all in and adjust, so the above is the starting place). remember to cook the Soy and Worc in if you add any more, they need some simmer time to blend in. It shouldn’t need any salt but some pepper adds if desired.

Note it will seem a strong with a little kick (when tasting with a spoon) but remember it is a layered flavor enhancer so it should be that way. When added to the meat and spuds it makes magic…..

Au Jus (the long version)

Pretty much the above except you replace the consommé with 3-4 beef ribs (shiners work great) that have been seared under the broiler and 3 cups more stock then light simmer the ribs for at least 8 hours, 12 is better (covered). Then season with the fresh as above. The seared ribs and long simmer to draw out the marrow in the bones makes this awesome, but it takes a long time, so the quick version is still pretty good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brokenhandle
Wow everything in that meal was fantastic! I have one of those roasts in the freezer I need to do one of these days. I usually buy them when they are this cheap and cut them into strip steaks and vacuum seal them, just did one yesterday actually!

That mash is divine looking, will have to try that.

Man thats perfection! I'll take extra mushrooms with mine! Nice meal for sure!

I'd be stuffed just chowing down on the horderves. Exceptional meal civil.

Point for sure
Chris

Wow everything in that meal was fantastic! I have one of those roasts in the freezer I need to do one of these days. I usually buy them when they are this cheap and cut them into strip steaks and vacuum seal them, just did one yesterday actually!

That mash is divine looking, will have to try that.
Thanks Teal! I have done the same thing as you many many times but a few years ago we did it just as a roast and bingo it was a thing from then on! The mash is a meal all by its self!

Man thats perfection! I'll take extra mushrooms with mine! Nice meal for sure!
Thanks Sow! Sure thing on the extra shrooms! You are after my own heart!

It all looks dang good!
Much appreciated brett!

I'd be stuffed just chowing down on the horderves. Exceptional meal civil.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris, we have been cooking like crazy since getting the kitchen at some point we got to slow down!

Reactions: Teal101
That all looks amazing! Thinking those appetizers would be good for breakfast. To be honest when I saw the plated shot I thought ,Wow! Second thought was do I drink the wine or au jus first?
Now ya went and made me hungry for breakfast! Thinking a slice of toast, with a slice of beef, topped with mashed taters, and eggs, smothered with au jus.

Very nice!
Ryan

Ryan, how’s this? Just thickened up the Au Jus just a touch and bam!!! Leftover dinner!
E718B35A-686E-430F-ABE3-648BAE021E1A.jpeg
56EAC587-16AD-43E5-928B-78698DB61C62.jpeg

Oh and HATS OFF to you and your idea! Holy smokes this was flavor explosion!!!

I’ve done the toast and beef but never this stack before.....the boy just hogged it down!

Every day I come onto this site is another day of being amazing at what everyone does. This was one of those times. It looks great!

Wow Civil! That's got everything to make perfection. Can't imagine how good it was.
That's really fantastic. I gotta try something like this as soon as possible. Great work. You and Ryan make a great team.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Wow Civil! That's got everything to make perfection. Can't imagine how good it was.
That's really fantastic. I gotta try something like this as soon as possible. Great work. You and Ryan make a great team.

thanks MJB! Yea do you have leftover rib roast? That would work for sure! Yes Ryan gets the credit for sure, the leftovers would have been for cheese and crackers or a bowl of ramen at lunch if it wasn’t for his inspiration!

Every day I come onto this site is another day of being amazing at what everyone does. This was one of those times. It looks great!

many thanks JCAP! I will fully agree with you on learning something new on a regular basis here on the forum! Oh and it never gets old looking at plates of good food over and over again!

thanks MJB! Yea do you have leftover rib roast? That would work for sure! Yes Ryan gets the credit for sure, the leftovers would have been for cheese and crackers or a bowl of ramen at lunch if it wasn’t for his inspiration!
Well, we HAD some leftovers, but that was our dinner tonight. Cheese steaks. Grilled up the leftover thinner slices, etc. Was excellent too! I'll file this one for next time I have Strip Steaks, which will be soon.

Well, we HAD some leftovers, but that was our dinner tonight. Cheese steaks. Grilled up the leftover thinner slices, etc. Was excellent too! I'll file this one for next time I have Strip Steaks, which will be soon.

Man you can’t go wrong with a RR cheese steak. Dang now I’m hungry again and I didn’t think that was possible after what I just ate!!!

Ryan, how’s this? Just thickened up the Au Jus just a touch and bam!!! Leftover dinner!
View attachment 475265View attachment 475266
Oh and HATS OFF to you and your idea! Holy smokes this was flavor explosion!!!

I’ve done the toast and beef but never this stack before.....the boy just hogged it down!
Wow, that looks fantastic! Just how I imagined it! I can't take all the credit tho, there are alot of members here that make awesome meals... it's just easy for my brain to pick up on!

Ryan

Reactions: MJB05615
Wow, that looks fantastic! Just how I imagined it! I can't take all the credit tho, there are alot of members here that make awesome meals... it's just easy for my brain to pick up on!

Ryan

Amen to that! There is so much good stuff shown by members here is hard to keep from going cross eyed on what to smoke next! Just imagine if there were no cookbooks or forums to share with others......And as such this year I have been giving friends, that are new smokers, cookbooks (Jeffs Book) as gifts to help strengthen their foundation to keep them hooked....knowledge is powerful! I believe in teaching one to catch fish rather than giving a fish......It's the least I can do, as I know I wouldn't have the copper pot or the x-fire grill (till the boy gets place of his own) without the forum!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky