NY Loin Roast & Red Potato Mash!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
So I went to the store yesturday with the wife and I spied that NY Loin Roasts were 4.77/lb, so I snuck one in the cart :-)

So started off the meal with some apps to warm up the taste buds!

Some sliced leftover NY prime steak from last night on top of a ritz cracker, my wife green onion cream cheese, and garnished with some thyme. It is joined with a slice of black pepper smoked salmon.
55E32A6F-3ED5-4C63-A676-773687E23D35.jpeg

this stuff is seriously good for how simple it is!
C358B308-2016-4ABD-B690-694F56D804BF.jpeg

The skin on red spud mash is whipped with heated butter, garlic, grated sweet onion, and creme Fraiche. This is whipped in with about 3/4 cup of the seasoned water that the spuds cooked in. Seasoned with salt and white pepper. Then it is covered and in the oven for 20 min ride at 350
7B9D0241-2D18-446B-BFDD-86510B3480AF.jpeg

Seasoned the roast with Kinders buttery steakhouse and in the pellet at 225 till IT was 125 then on a rack to rest. No reverse sear this time as I wanted it uniform all the way through.
94A1EA26-B9B5-4796-8C6E-BD368CE5A5D3.jpeg

Fingers crossed for the slice......
907CDF2F-F858-4A83-9F61-F9E72651B3A9.jpeg

oh man nothing but smiles all around!

The Sunday meal was complete with some seared shrooms and my wife’s homemade Caesar!
9F9F0BCB-1209-42D3-BF8C-FBB925483E6E.jpeg

this is pure NY Money!
76483744-358E-44DA-A302-60423EC67AA6.jpeg

can’t forget the green money....lol
D631348C-F790-4E70-B3B1-B71A0A046676.jpeg

On and if that wasn’t enough, after waking up from my food coma, my wife handed me this blondie (she made from scratch) Sunday as a comfort from the snowy blizzard raging outside.
AB3479E3-A154-4C1B-B504-491469FC675F.jpeg

PS just in case you are wondering this was my only meal today.....I will also be skipping breakfast in the AM....lol

hopes this brings warm good thoughts for the coming week!

Last edited:
That all looks amazing! Thinking those appetizers would be good for breakfast. To be honest when I saw the plated shot I thought ,Wow! Second thought was do I drink the wine or au jus first?
Now ya went and made me hungry for breakfast! Thinking a slice of toast, with a slice of beef, topped with mashed taters, and eggs, smothered with au jus.

Very nice!
Ryan

Man it cant get better then that.
Thanks and I fully agree with ya PC! The crazy thing is the whole meal was less than mickyDs!

That all looks amazing! Thinking those appetizers would be good for breakfast. To be honest when I saw the plated shot I thought ,Wow! Second thought was do I drink the wine or au jus first?
Now ya went and made me hungry for breakfast! Thinking a slice of toast, with a slice of beef, topped with mashed taters, and eggs, smothered with au jus.

Very nice!
Ryan

Thanks Ryan! The au jus was a quick one, a can of consume, beef stock, Demi, red wine, soy sauce, Worcestershire, seeped with onion, garlic, and fresh thyme, rosemary, and sage... when the flavors are right it is screen strained! It only takes about 30 min and it’s YUM

My wife made bread so NOW you have me reconsidering having breakfast!

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Wow! that looks delicious. The smashed potato looks good as well. Are you guys chefs by any chance?

I have to agree with Ryan, that all looks amazing! That Roast is perfect and the rest is as good as can be. Truly a great meal all the way around and that dessert looks fantastic. Excellent work.

I have to agree with Ryan, that all looks amazing! That Roast is perfect and the rest is as good as can be. Truly a great meal all the way around and that dessert looks fantastic. Excellent work.

Thanks MJB! It was our way of preparing for the predicted week long snow.....I will be out in it in the am working the snow blower for sure!

Reactions: MJB05615
YUM! nailed it!! I wanted to pick one of those up too!! unfortunately we had no room for one. Next time tho!

great looking cook and meal!

Wow! that looks delicious. The smashed potato looks good as well. Are you guys chefs by any chance?
Thanks Ash! We aren't chefs, however, I did work in the kitchen of a steak house and a Italian restaurant as a lead line & prep cook for 7+ish years waaaaaay back. My wife is all home taught but she has been baking since about 8-9 years old.

The meal looks over the top! Big like!
Thank you Steve!

Now that's what I'm talking about! wonderful looking plate

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)
Many Thanks Aaron!

As always a awesome meal and snacks there civil.

Warren
Much appreciated Warren! We had the kids doing support activities in the cook so that really helps!

From start to finish that looks teriffic! Like
Thanks Gator!

Yummy! That is an interesting way to make mashed or whipped potatoes. I am going to play around with that recipe tonight.
Thanks agaffer! The grated onion/minced garlic is my wife's thing (Makes them nice a garlic mash) but all the credit goes to Mr. Gordon Ramsey. The Creme Fraiche and pot water is all his doing! Getting his Hells Kitchen cookbook is worth the price for his mash (I've said this many times before). I should also mention that my wife also may add a bit of heavy cream when whipping them to sweeten them up. The red spuds are washed with a scrubber to make sure the skins are clean and they are partially peeled to help break them up and reduce the amount of skin left in the mix. Also cut them in equal size fry size (1/2"ish) and cook +/- 20 min (Start tasting at 18 mins in). I can't stress cutting them to equal size (toss any slivers) enough!!!! Just look at how GR would react when he inspects people cutting spuds for mash!!!!

Oh man, from the appetizer to the main course, it all looks great.
Nice Cook!
Many thanks chiler! I love Christmas time as apps become a thing in our house!

Look Great, Civil !!
Nice Job!
Like.
Our blizzard's coming Wednesday!

Bear
Thanks Bear, our one of many blizzards hit last night....4-5 inches with 3 to 4 more storms on it sway. I think we will have 15 to 18 inches by the end of the week! Many I'm glad I have a snow blower!

Reactions: Teal101
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky