Newb from NY

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Welcome Buck! Not terribly far from you in north-western Suffolk county. You found the premiere site of knowledge and great people here.

What grills/smokers are you currently working with and what do you think you want to get involved with going forward?

Last edited:
Welcome from Mississippi ! What are you cooking on now?

Jim
I have a Weber Smokey Mtn and a 22" Weber Kettle charcoal grill. I bought the smoker a couple of years ago, used it only a couple of times that first year then haven't touched it since. Only things I've smoked on it are baby back ribs and pork shoulder. I don't ever experiment because I hate screwing things up, wasting money and time etc. Obviously, I have to practice in order to learn so I'm going to try my best to get into it this year. If anyone has suggestions on some of the easier things to try, and any decent recipes/instructions, I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks in advance and thanks for all the welcomes!

Buck

Reactions: JLeonard
I have a Weber Smokey Mtn and a 22" Weber Kettle charcoal grill. I bought the smoker a couple of years ago, used it only a couple of times that first year then haven't touched it since. Only things I've smoked on it are baby back ribs and pork shoulder. I don't ever experiment because I hate screwing things up, wasting money and time etc. Obviously, I have to practice in order to learn so I'm going to try my best to get into it this year. If anyone has suggestions on some of the easier things to try, and any decent recipes/instructions, I'd love to hear about them.

Buck
You got two great tools to cook on. Can do nearly anything on either of them. Lots of us on here use one or both of them. gmc2003 gmc2003 works magic on his kettle. Dont hesitate to ask question either in a tread or as a PM. We all love to share our knowledge and helping others out.

Jim

Reactions: gmc2003
Hello all. New to the site and fairly new to smoking. I'd really like to get into smoking/grilling a whole lot more this year. I live in Queens, NY. Looking forward to learning from all of you more experienced smokers.

Buck
Welcome Buck from Tampa.

Brad

Lots of us on here use one or both of them. gmc2003 gmc2003 works magic on his kettle.
Yeah but he's from Queens Jim. I was from Brooklyn. Dodger and Mets fans don't get along. Even though the Dodgers jumped shipped a long time ago. LOL

Buck

Seriously, welcome aboard Buck. Any questions you have feel free to fire away. I have both the 22"WSM(haven't used it in the last few years) and Kettle. Both are great all around grills/smokers. Next time you want to smoke something let us know in advance, and we'll walk you thru the process. chopsaw chopsaw is another go-to for anything Weber, and he's friendly to.

Chris

• Haha
Yeah but he's from Queens Jim. I was from Brooklyn. Dodger and Mets fans don't get along. Even though the Dodgers jumped shipped a long time ago. LOL

Seriously, welcome aboard Buck. Any questions you have feel free to fire away. I have both the 22"WSM(haven't used it in the last few years) and Kettle. Both are great all around grills/smokers. Next time you want to smoke something let us know in advance, and we'll walk you thru the process. chopsaw chopsaw is another go-to for anything Weber, and he's friendly to.

Chris
haha thanks. im originally from bklyn. in queens now. not a met fan though. yankees, sorry. what are some of the easiest/quickest things to smoke? i want to start off with super simple things that dont require too much effort keeping temperature in check. the recipe i had for pulled pork called for a 12 hour smoke. its very time consuming. i love pulled pork but id like to work on some simple things first. suggestions anyone? suggestions, along with instructions (cook times etc) i mean.
i just joined SMF yesterday. ive barely even looked around yet. any other forums or online resources i should check out for the best tips and recipes?

thanks in advance!
buck

haha thanks. im originally from bklyn. in queens now. not a met fan though. yankees, sorry. what are some of the easiest/quickest things to smoke? i want to start off with super simple things that dont require too much effort keeping temperature in check. the recipe i had for pulled pork called for a 12 hour smoke. its very time consuming. i love pulled pork but id like to work on some simple things first. suggestions anyone? suggestions, along with instructions (cook times etc) i mean.
i just joined SMF yesterday. ive barely even looked around yet. any other forums or online resources i should check out for the best tips and recipes?

thanks in advance!
buck
Try out some country style pork ribs.....Basically pork butt cut into strips.

Just one example. Also, get a multiprobe therm to help monitor chamber as well as meat temps.

Jim

thanks in advance!
buck
Yankee fan here also, although my grandfather is probably rolling around in his grave as I speak. He was a die-hard Dodger fan who traveled to many games outside of Brooklyn and to Florida for spring training. When the Dodgers left he hated baseball.

As for simple first cooks. If you run your Kettle or WSM at 275* to 325* you should see about an hour a pound for cooking time avg. Pork butt is very forgiving and can easily handle the higher heat without loss of flavor or texture. Wrapping the meat when it hits the stall(around 165*) will also quicken the cook. Start probing the butt at 195* for tenderness. The probe should enter the meat with very little resistance. Pork tenderloin is another good starting point. For tenders I smoke at 250* indirect. Cook until the tender is about 138*. Then cover with aluminum foil and let it rest on your counter. The carryover/residual heat will bring it up to 145*. Seasoning and such I'll leave up to you. You know your taste-buds better then I do.

Chris

BTW the pork-butt would be cooked with indirect heat also.

Welcome to SMF Buck from Indiana. As you can see we are a pretty open group always willing to provide helpful answers. You've definitely came to the right place.

Welcome aboard Buck, from Massachusttes.
You need to try smoking a meatloaf. Oh, so good!
The Weber Kettle is so versatile. Lump or briquettes, with the snake method or a slow 'n sear. You can have a blast with them and make some good BBQ!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky