NW Iowa

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nick-IA

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 18, 2020
Hi from NW Iowa. Relatively new to smoking here. I’ve had a Traeger for a couple years, then took the plunge this summer and built my own. Pic attached. Still working on the art of maintaining a fire - but so far pretty good. Looking forward to getting lots of different ideas from everyone on the site.
B8128CC2-64A4-4B1E-9DB0-22B3B6E2431D.jpeg

Welcome from Wisconsin.

Nice build. Maybe a pit controller could help with your temps?

JC :emoji_cat:

Welcome from Wisconsin.

Nice build. Maybe a pit controller could help with your temps?

JC :emoji_cat:

Not sure what that is. Can you elaborate? I do have an angle iron in the firebox and also in the smoker which gets the air spinning around and seems to eliminate hot spots. My issue now just seems to be with fire. Getting enough experience to know when to stir, when to add and how much to add. My range is about 25 degrees now, I’d really like to narrow that range.

Reactions: JC in GB
Welcome to SMF from NorCal! I like your smoker... Wondering, how much meat it can hold?

It has two shelves, holding 2-3 briskets or butts each. I had three pans of burnt ends and three racks of ribs in at the same time last weekend with no issue. Also has three rods I can swap in for the shelves if I want to hang anything. Only done three cooks on it so far, but I’m really enjoying it.

Not sure what that is. Can you elaborate? I do have an angle iron in the firebox and also in the smoker which gets the air spinning around and seems to eliminate hot spots. My issue now just seems to be with fire. Getting enough experience to know when to stir, when to add and how much to add. My range is about 25 degrees now, I’d really like to narrow that range.

A pit controller regulates the air intake into the fire box thus controlling the cook chamber temperature. In an electric smoker, the controller turns the heating element on and off to control chamber temp.

I use a pit controller on my charcoal smoker and it keeps temps within 1 degree of set point.

If I open the door, the fan goes full on to recover the heat inside the cook chamber quickly.

There are a number of controllers on the market but most of them are pretty pricey.

Here is the controller I use on my smoker. It is the Nelson Prototype; Black Cat DC pit controller.

$80 for controller

$50 for blower that mates to 1.5" ball valve

Right now I am using a BBQ Guru Pit Viper fan on my pit. I want to get one of the Black Cat blowers when they come available in August.

Full disclosure. I manufacture these controllers.

MES_kit 03.jpg

baby 3.jpg

The fan blows into the fire box to control air flow and temperature.

Reactions: Nick-IA
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky