Smoker/Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Let

Original poster
Nov 11, 2023
Hi everyone, I’m not only new to this forum but new to smoking. Everything I’ve read about smoking a brisket all seems to end up to the same thing….PATIENCE!. Not easy coming from someone that lacks it lol but I’m learning today. Smoking my first brisket. Received a Traeger 850 for an anniversary present 8/23. I have made multiple things so far and everything turned out great including a whole turkey…EXCEPT burgers. I think I will stick with the Weber grill for them. I have a 4.68lb brisket on the smoker I purchased at an Amish store close to Philly. It was already cleaned so it saved me some work. I make my own rubs and I guess you could call me an adventurious indoor cook so I decided to do the same with my outdoor cooking. For the brisket, I used my own rub however I purchased some highly rated rubs and added them too. I made a spritz of cola, apple juice, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar and beef broth. I poured in cherry and pecan pellets on top of what I had which was jack daniels and mesquite. I put the brisket on at 9:45 am today, it’s now 6:20 pm and the smoker only reading 165 temp. I’m assuming this is where I need my patience to kick in and plan on having a few more beers?

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome to SMF!

now is a good time to wrap the meat either in foil or red butcher paper. Looking for an IT somewhere close to 203 but the probe test running into the meat is the tell. The probe must go in and out all over like pushing the probe into a jar of creamy peanut butter, then it’s done, not by temp. They can finish anywhere from 195-210 IT so the probe is the way to know when it’s done.

well... you're going to get a bunch of advice on here. my $0.02 is wait for the fat on the outside to get squishy before wrapping, boating, or whatever you plan on doing. plan to be at it until midnight or 1, and after that let it rest down a little on the counter then put it in the oven on the lowest setting until you're ready to eat. my last brisket took like 20 hours before i could take it out n go to bed.

Welcome to SMF!

now is a good time to wrap the meat either in foil or red butcher paper. Looking for an IT somewhere close to 203 but the probe test running into the meat is the tell. The probe must go in and out all over like pushing the probe into a jar of creamy peanut butter, then it’s done, not by temp. They can finish anywhere from 195-210 IT so the probe is the way to know when it’s done.

Well…..everything I read for that size brisket I spritzed it…wrapped it and spritzed the paper at about 3 hrs. Been spritzing since Q1 hr. From what I read it should t have taken this long according to some sites but then as I read more online….I knew I was in for the long haul. Hopefully I don’t run out of beer…lol.

TY for your advice about the probe.

well... you're going to get a bunch of advice on here. my $0.02 is wait for the fat on the outside to get squishy before wrapping, boating, or whatever you plan on doing. plan to be at it until midnight or 1, and after that let it rest down a little on the counter then put it in the oven on the lowest setting until you're ready to eat. my last brisket took like 20 hours before i could take it out n go to bed.
How big was your brisket (this ok to ask a stranger Lol) and how long did you let it rest after?

Welcome, not sure when you state the temp if that's the meat or the temp inside the smoker, at 225 - 250 it should have been done in 10 hours at the most figuring 2 hrs per lbs, lot of things affect the cooking and good temp probes will help you. As small as it was I suspect temps were set very low? I would have bet 6-7 hours on the cook at 225.

I cooked 2 flats yesterday, both about 4 pds each. Took about 6 hrs at 225 degrees on average. Foil Wrapped at 165 degrees and probe tender at 200 degrees. I'd check your probes. Something seems way off.

jim

Yup something is not right and as Jim said, I suspect it has to do with temp probes being inaccurate.
Note: "smoker only reading 165º" ie grate temp? If so, that's way too low! Grate temps for brisket usually are 225 or higher depending on whether you are running low and slow or hot and fast. ex) my preference is to smoke at 275º.

How big was your brisket (this ok to ask a stranger Lol) and how long did you let it rest after?
it started out at 22lbs but i trimmed almost 8 lbs off of it. here's a tip - don't buy the bulk case from sam's club. i think i pulled it off the grill at like 4am and we ate around noon. previously i've dropped it in a cooler to rest and left it there for 4-6 hours and it comes out still very hot

on a side note i just re-read your original post - somehow i missed that it was <5lbs.

oh! also - pictures or it didn't happen! we love pictures here

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky