Tri Tip Tacos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TNJAKE

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Nov 26, 2019
Ridgetop TN🇺🇸
Evening fellas and non fellas. Grilled up a tri tip tonight for some tacos. Trimmed the meat up and hit it heavily with malcolm Reed Grande Gringo. Then vac sealed for a few hours
IMG_20210319_193258.jpg
IMG_20210319_182937.jpg

Onto the grill running around 600
IMG_20210319_185415.jpg

Flipped around a few times for about 20min
IMG_20210319_185426.jpg

Nice color and it was around 130 so pulled for a 10min rest
IMG_20210319_191142.jpg

Sliced up. Nice medium rare in middle. Medium towards the ends
IMG_20210319_191529.jpg

Then chopped for the tacos
IMG_20210319_192131.jpg

Was so juicy. Made up some tacos on flour tortillas with sour cream, habanero jack, pico, salsa verde. Was pretty tasty
IMG_20210319_192552.jpg

Nice Jake. Looks great, and that TT is perfectly cooked. Now that I can get them, we have TT about once a month. Great job.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Ahhh, so good looking, Jake. We call those fajitas, even though they aren't. My belly never cared what they were called. It was just happy!
Thanks ray and I know what you mean. I would have called them fajitas if I'd put them on the blackstone for sure. Definitely tasty whatever they were lol

Thank you for the very generous offer Jake. We are kicking around the idea of joining a Costco which is about 100 miles either direction East or West. Then I should be able to get my "fix". :emoji_wink:

Will probably need an extra freezer then. lol

Thank you for the very generous offer Jake. We are kicking around the idea of joining a Costco which is about 100 miles either direction East or West. Then I should be able to get my "fix". :emoji_wink:

Will probably need an extra freezer then. lol
No problem bud. Just let me know if you can't find one. And I hear ya on the freezer space. My 3 are slammed full

Reactions: Winterrider
Looks amazing. I found 1 yesterday with a nice fat cap and was planning on smoking like brisket for Sunday.
Now I'm wanted to cook it the Jake way. May just need to grab another one lol.
About 20 mins @ 600* ?

Reactions: MJB05615 and TNJAKE
Looks amazing. I found 1 yesterday with a nice fat cap and was planning on smoking like brisket for Sunday.
Now I'm wanted to cook it the Jake way. May just need to grab another one lol.
About 20 mins @ 600* ?
Thanks bud.......so here's the deal on tri tip. Some folks have cooked them like a brisket and like it. IMO that's not how it's meant to be cooked. Doesn't have much internal fat. I only cooked it this way because I was gonna make tacos. When I cook them like a steak I smoke at 225 until IT hits 120 then reverse sear until 130 then rest. Tri tip is tricky to slice until you know. It's 2 muscle groups so will need to slice each according. For me personally I'd never do like a brisket

That's how I've been doing them, smoke then reverse sear. I've started doing very thick Ribeyes and Strips the same way when I have one that's very thick. Comes out great, and I don't burn the heck out of it.

Reactions: TNJAKE
That's a fine looking plate Jake. Great job man! I went to get a TT at Sam's the other day, and they were out. Bummer!

Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky