Not looking good for us in Florida

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Good to hear you Florida folks made it safe and sound. Stay strong.

Geeze Al, taking a stroll thru the eye isn't on many peoples bucket list. Glad you and Judy are safe.

Chris

Al glad you and Judy made it through with just clean up work to do I saw the eye wall just before getting into your area and was worried for ya.

fltsfhr sorry to hear about your business hopefully the insurance company makes it right and you can get it back up and running quickly

Al if it makes you feel any better I have been up in a bucket truck during the eye of a hurricane cutting a tree off a house. I can tell you I was working very fast :emoji_laughing:
I have done some other dumb things in hurricanes as well but most of them I was on duty with the fire dept.

Good to hear you Florida folks made it safe and sound. Stay strong.

Geeze Al, taking a stroll thru the eye isn't on many peoples bucket list. Glad you and Judy are safe.

Chris
Walking in the eye of Ivan was instantly at the top of mine when we knew we'd be in it.
Hell that's a once in a lifetime experience for very very few people.
It's right up there with all my most intense memories, losing my virginity, first skydive and a few more jumps, getting married, kids being born-I caught all three, walking in the eye of a hurricane...

Al if it makes you feel any better I have been up in a bucket truck during the eye of a hurricane cutting a tree off a house. I can tell you I was working very fast :emoji_laughing:
I have done some other dumb things in hurricanes as well but most of them I was on duty with the fire dept.
Walked in the Eye of hurricane Gloria here in NY while I was a volunteer in the FD. Remember using a chain saw to cut trees and limbs out of the way to get the ambulance through to a patient.

Also walked in the eye of hurricane Sandy, that was devastating to our shores, but sure brought all the neighbors together for the next couple weeks.

Checking in. No elec, phone, or internet. Next door oak tree down in my yard, about 60-70 banana trees down in my yard. Didn’t know what was going on, and the wind died down. Couldn’t sleep, so went for a walk to see how everyone else made out. Never realized until now that I was out for a walk in the eye. So I guess I can add to my list “I walked in the eye of a hurricane”. Don’t know when I’ll get a chance to get back on, but Judy & I are fine. The house & Gazebo came thru without any damage. I took some before & after photo’s, but they are not showing up on my iPad. I have a couple of before’s, but the after’s are brutal. I’ll try to post them when I can.
Before:
View attachment 644751
View attachment 644752
I’m going to have to get a dumpster for all the debris I have.
Thanks everyone for thinking of us, we sure appreciate it.
Al & Judy
Glad everybody ok Al.

Well Judy & I cleaned up the whole yard yesterday. Had it piled in the front yard thinking they would be around today to pick it up. No, we were told that debris pickup will begin in 2 weeks. So my buddy with a big tree service trailer came over & loaded up everything. At least the mess is gone, but my neighbors tree is still partly in my yard, and he doesn’t seem to be too concerned about it. He is up North. We have been cooking everything in the back yard, but it sure is heartbreaking to see the way it looks now. But I sure thank God that we are OK, & that I really don’t have any permanent damage. Those poor folks in SWFL are sure in our prayers. Haven’t really seen much news or pictures. I’m at the community clubhouse now using their WiFi. So trying to catch up & see what is going on. Will try to keep everyone updated, but it looks like a long road back to normal.
Al

Can't go near our business. I have two guys working at the house just beginning the clean up here. This is going to take awhile. Only way I can get on here is using usb tethering to my notebook. Have a couple refugees from Marco Isand staying with us. BBQ just made it's first breakfast.

Have a few photos
Before:
0DE8E839-603D-4C81-80BF-FB27324D5D7E.jpeg

After:
E1A2808A-EE62-4848-ABBD-8C763EE655BF.jpeg

My neighbors tree, and the water is just about ready to flood my yard, but it didn’t get any higher.
8A2FBD2E-DD56-4B4F-A348-607BDFBB7229.jpeg

Try to check in tomorrow.
Al

Can't go near our business. I have two guys working at the house just beginning the clean up here. This is going to take awhile. Only way I can get on here is using usb tethering to my notebook. Have a couple refugees from Marco Isand staying with us. BBQ just made it's first breakfast.

You got hit far worse than me, it will be weeks before things are back too normal here, and I imagine months for you.
Al

Our neighbor works for the county... She heard ''unofficially'' that we are out of luck on power for one to two weeks... Waiting on engineers...

WTF do we need engineers for... to tell them how to hook the wires back together

Our neighbor works for the county... She heard ''unofficially'' that we are out of luck on power for one to two weeks... Waiting on engineers...

WTF do we need engineers for... to tell them how to hook the wires back together
Infrastructure Assessment. They need to know what needs to be replace that was damaged.

Woo Hoo, I just figured out how to use our DVD player, so at least we watched a couple of movies last night. I think 70% of our county has no elec. The sewer plant lost power & sewage started backing up & coming out of the sewer grates. We are supposed to boil water, cause the water plant lost power too.
973CA0C0-4820-4B78-8B79-AB99EB63E7C7.jpeg

Banana trees are pretty much gone, but I didn’t even have one broken bulb on the gazebo.
Al

Bannana trees will grow back pretty quickly. I cut mine down to the ground every year in NY and they come back the next year 10' high

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky