Not as easy as i thought

Discussion in 'Roll Call' started by bbqchamp, Feb 5, 2011.

1. bbqchamp

bbqchamp Fire Starter

Right now im smoking some chicken wings and im having the hardest time keeping a constant heat of  225-250. I need help, also how long should i cook them. It's been almost an hour now.

2. eman

eman Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member

Not knowing what kind of smoker you have i can't help there.

Cook to an internal of 160° at the joints

3. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Now you should be almost done with the wings. I smoke mine for maybe 2 hours or so but I do watch the temp in the thickest part of the wings. Like Bob said 160°ish.

4. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Same here about 2 hours, then on a hot grill for a couple of minutes to crisp the skin up, then a bath in Frank's hot sauce. Hope yours came out well.

5. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Are you burning straight wood in your smoker? What kind of air intakes are on your firebox? Does the exhaust stack have a flapper valve to adjust?

6. bbqchamp

bbqchamp Fire Starter

I was using charcoal, which i dont think i'm using again. For some reason there are no air intakes on the smoker or a flapper on the exhaust. I think im going to have to get someone to add them for me. And from now on i'm only burning wood. 

7. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

You will need adjustable air intakes on the fire box to be able to control the fire. A flapper on the exhaust really isn't needed. Being where your at with all the woods around you straight wood would be the way to go and much cheaper too.

8. tjohnson

tjohnson Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Insider OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

How about a pic of the smoker?

Todd

9. Go to his profile page he has the pictures in an album there.

10. pineywoods

I saw the pics of his smoker but it didn't show close enough pics to see if it had the things I mentioned

11. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.