No secrets...but any Rub tips? (place to start)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Have not used Jeff's Texas on brisket but I have no doubts it would work well. Most Texas brisket is SP only and let the smoke take the lead. I tend to agree, but garlic is so good on beef, I would do SPG.

I don't use any pre-made rubs. I make all my own rubs fresh and have had some pretty good results. Also, I have found the sheer number of available rubs to be somewhat daunting. That said, I have had great success with a rub called magic dust that I got online. I have also found that the Chiquilin smoked paprika is the secret to a tasty paprika rub. My $0.02 enjoy.

Magic Dust Rub
  • 1/2 cup paprika
  • 1/4 cup kosher salt (finely ground)
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons mustard powder
  • 1/4 cup chili powder
  • 1/4 cup ground cumin
  • 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup granulated garlic
2 tablespoons cayenne

I don't use any pre-made rubs. I make all my own rubs fresh and have had some pretty good results. Also, I have found the sheer number of available rubs to be somewhat daunting. That said, I have had great success with a rub called magic dust that I got online. I have also found that the Chiquilin smoked paprika is the secret to a tasty paprika rub. My $0.02 enjoy.

Magic Dust Rub
  • 1/2 cup paprika
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup chili powder
  • 1/4 cup ground cumin
2 tablespoons cayenne
Don't know why this posted twice... Sorry...

Magic Dust Rub
  • 1/2 cup paprika
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup chili powder
  • 1/4 cup ground cumin
2 tablespoons cayenne

Here's a little secret. If you add quite a bit more chili powder and some onion powder you pretty much have ground taco meat seasoning :)
Taco meat seasoning doesn't really use mustard powder but I"m not sure 2 tablespoons drastically changes the flavor profile.
Have fun next taco Tuesday :)

Reactions: JC in GB
Here's a little secret. If you add quite a bit more chili powder and some onion powder you pretty much have ground taco meat seasoning :)
Taco meat seasoning doesn't really use mustard powder but I"m not sure 2 tablespoons drastically changes the flavor profile.
Have fun next taco Tuesday :)

Could be used to make a Pot of Chili to. I would hold out the Salt from the mix and add at the end to taste...JJ

Reactions: JC in GB
Could be used to make a Pot of Chili to. I would hold out the Salt from the mix and add at the end to taste...JJ

You are 100% correct on that. I agree about holding out the salt in that regard. I like to add beef bouillon or stock for my chili salt content and I also add brown sugar to cut tomato acidity and I like a bit of sweetness that the tomatoes don't always give.
For my Taco meat seasoning I like to add tomato bouillon or some tomato chicken bouillon in small amounts to compliment the salt with that extra tomato flavor. When I do this I lightly salt to begin since more is coming later :)

I hope you can read this. It's a page from one of my BBQ books. Does a pretty good job for assembling a rub.

RG
20181003_120350.jpg

Interesting pic. Even has the "exotic" stuff in there like worc. powder and crystal light. More interesting is the "progression" which is something I do for pretty much anything and has really helped me improve things. Keeping things simple and less busy/too many ingredients has really paid off huge for me. That said, most people would freak at the quantities I use. IE 1lb taco meat uses 1/4C chili powder and that's like 3x the high rated versions online.

Reactions: tallbm
Interesting pic. Even has the "exotic" stuff in there like worc. powder and crystal light. More interesting is the "progression" which is something I do for pretty much anything and has really helped me improve things. Keeping things simple and less busy/too many ingredients has really paid off huge for me. That said, most people would freak at the quantities I use. IE 1lb taco meat uses 1/4C chili powder and that's like 3x the high rated versions online.

I'm with you here 100%! Start minimal and work up. As you know, you often find that you don't need much beyond things like SPOG unless changing flavor profile like for taco meat (Mexican flavors). I can see using a ton of chili powder in taco meat, there is just no other way to get the correct flavor hahaha. I don't really measure my chili powder with taco meat I just add, mix, taste, add more until done. The key is to get a chili powder that doesn't have a ton of extras like SALT, garlic powder, etc.
I have to go and get another giant container of chili powder because I made 5 pounds of venison taco meat last week and man I was just pouring it on for 5 pounds hahahahaa :)

Tip, the giant McCormick Gourmet Chili Powder (20 oz) has salt and garlic powder and such but it is not very prominent compared to some other brands I have used. I buy it locally but here is a link to it on amazon (cha-ching SMF $$$ :D)

Reactions: zwiller
McCormick Chili Powder is Ancho Powder with Cumin, Oregano, Garlic and Salt. You can buy
McCormick 100% Ground Ancho Chile and add the remaining to taste. I purchase whole dried Chiles, Mulato, a more ripened deeper flavored Ancho, New Mexican Chiles, Cascabel Chiles and Pascilla Negro Chiles. Then Toast and grind my own pure Chile Powder. Spicesinc.com has a large selection with great descriptions of flavor profile and temperature. Always fresh, leathery not crumbly dry and old, and reasonable prices...JJ

McCormick Chili Powder is Ancho Powder with Cumin, Oregano, Garlic and Salt. You can buy
McCormick 100% Ground Ancho Chile and add the remaining to taste. I purchase whole dried Chiles, Mulato, a more ripened deeper flavored Ancho, New Mexican Chiles, Cascabel Chiles and Pascilla Negro Chiles. Then Toast and grind my own pure Chile Powder. Spicesinc.com has a large selection with great descriptions of flavor profile and temperature. Always fresh, leathery not crumbly dry and old, and reasonable prices...JJ

I may buy the 100% Ancho. I don't think I'll go as far as grinding my own. I have ground my own smoked Chile Tepin peppers and it is awesome chili powder but man is it hot! :D

I will see what Costco has or the USA Foods Chef's Store (restaurant supply store) has on hand before going online. I can get good prices for good quantity at one of those 2 places. If they fall through then online it is :)

BRO! You are in Texas! Any Mexican Grocery will have a big variety of Dry Chiles and at a 1/4th of what the online Spice shops charge. I'm jealous. I live in the mountains now but were we used to live was surrounded by orchards. There were tons of stores and great Mexican Restaurants to cater to the seasonal migrant workers. Guajillo is a favorite Chile of mine but a bit too spicy for my crew. The above are all mild and kid friendly...JJ

BRO! You are in Texas! Any Mexican Grocery will have a big variety of Dry Chiles and at a 1/4th of what the online Spice shops charge. I'm jealous. I live in the mountains now but were we used to live was surrounded by orchards. There were tons of stores and great Mexican Restaurants to cater to the seasonal migrant workers. Guajillo is a favorite Chile of mine but a bit too spicy for my crew. The above are all mild and kid friendly...JJ

You are 100% right, I have access to a ton of chili peppers ready to toast/dry and grind. :)

My main issue is setting aside the time to fool with it along with the fact that my only grinder is the magic bullet with the grinder blade lol. What I may do is buy a bottle of chili powder to hold me over and buy some chili's to dehydrate in the smoker (no smoke going) and grind but I may not get time for doing those until mid January :eek:

Hmmmm, I may check around for freshly ground chili powder. That is something I may have access to with all the Mexican grocery stores and markets. I'll pay a little more to save myself the time that I don't have and cut myself out as the middle man!!! :D

Ok time to search around for freshly ground chili powder at one of those places online hahahaha. Thanks for sparking the thought with this conversation :)

Have not used Jeff's Texas on brisket but I have no doubts it would work well. Most Texas brisket is SP only and let the smoke take the lead. I tend to agree, but garlic is so good on beef, I would do SPG.

Jeff's Texas Rub Recipe is very good on beef of any kind but I've recently used it a couple of times on Beef Ribs and my wife and I agree those might be the best beef ribs we've every had. I mix it to the exact amounts as per the recipe. No need to change anything. It's simple, basic, & I recommend trying this recipe on beef.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky