1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

No secrets...but any Rub tips? (place to start)

Discussion in '5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse' started by FishInTheDesert, Aug 17, 2018.

1. zwiller

zwiller Smoking Fanatic

Went down the "pure" chili powder rabbit hole after getting Texan cookbook. LOL Like 3 chapters on peppers etc... Grew my own. One cool thing I did when I grew mine was grill and char them prior to dehydrating... But no real big deal for me. Later, tried 5-6 different powders from The Spice House. Tried them and found they just didn't work for me. I have come to realize we prefer Tex Mex not true Mexican food I think. I use Mild Chili Powder from GFS. Pretty good stuff and much less other ingredients than store bought. That said, I've always wanted to try Gebhardt's which is supposedly the locals go to. Similarly, made green chili sauce from scratch (which is a huge PITA blanch peel deseed) only to find LaVictoria green canned just as good or better. You guys got me fired up to try and make some Texas style chili... Maybe with some smoked chuck.

2. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

If the local Mex Store does not have ground chile, Spicesinc. Carries Whole, Flaked and Ground of all their chiles...JJ

3. tallbm

tallbm Master of the Pit

That sounds like an interesting journey! I like both Mexican and Tex-Mex foods and spices, and like you discovered there is a difference :) I like Gebhardt's chili powder it has great flavor but I believe they also mix a few things in with it. It is noticeably better tasting than others and I think generally costs more.

I did some looking online for my area on freshly ground chile peppers and didn't find too much info. It seems the Central Market grocery store (high end grocery) grinds whatever you pick out and they have all kinds of variety. I have one near work so I may stop by and see if I can pick out some peppers and get them to grind them for me and see what the cost is. They are not a cheap place at all lol. Outside of that I would need to hit one of 2-3 Mexican grocery stores near the office and see if they have something similar. I wouldn't doubt if they do, I just don't think that info is so available online.

Spicesinc may be what I used should I need to order out :)

4. radioguy

radioguy Smoking Fanatic

I checked and don't own the book. A very good friend had made a copy of that chart for me. The book is "Soaked, Slathered,and Seasoned" by
    Elizabeth Karmel. Very helpful book with salad dressings, rubs, mops and sauces.

RG

sdkid likes this.
  5. sdkid

sdkid Fire Starter

Thank you sir.

6. zwiller

zwiller Smoking Fanatic

I did before (chuckie) and was excellent. Was watching some foodie show an Cen Tex BBQ and one guy said equal parts SPG and it stuck with me. Did beef ribs last weekend with that on oak and everyone said do NOT change a thing.

texomakid likes this.
  7. AP514

AP514 Fire Starter

I had to pull the trigger on that book was $6 new(Sale). 350ish pages....

and of course JEFF's RUB :)

8. sdkid

sdkid Fire Starter

I found S S &S on ebay for $4 shipped.

9. AP514

AP514 Fire Starter

Yup, but thought I would help out by use'n the links....

10. SonnyE

SonnyE Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Woo-eee!
    I finally opened my can of powdered Honey, and made some Cyan Honey powder.
    I did 1 Tbs Cyan powder, to 5 Tsp Powdered Honey.
    POP goes the taste buds.

This might grow into a new rub for me. :p

JC in GB likes this.
  11. radioguy

radioguy Smoking Fanatic

I tried honey powder for a different sweet on my rib rub. Give tomato powder a try, bump in red color and wonderful tomato flavor. Taste like creme of tomato soup.

My SPOG is one part salt, 1 part pepper and 1/4 part onion/garlic powders.

RG