No more Sweet Baby Ray's for me!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
High fructose corn syrup + corn syrup + molasses + sugar ?!?!?! I may as well add a little tomato paste to a bottle of pancake syrup.

I would say enough is enough but this is far too much!
I never much cared for Sweet Baby Ray's even when I wasn't worried about my sugar intake. But between the sweetness and the price, it's very popular. I haven't tried it, but they do have a sauce with no added sugar...

We gave up on most store bought brands as most have high fructose corn syrup as the first ingredient. We've been using the Melinda's as it doesn't use it and also is lower in salt. That or make our own.
I will have to try that. I like some of the sugar free options like G.Hughes brand, they are great straight from the bottle. It is when they are cooked with that the aspartame taste really comes out.

High fructose corn syrup + corn syrup + molasses + sugar ?!?!?! I may as well add a little tomato paste to a bottle of pancake syrup.

I would say enough is enough but this is far too much!

We gave up on most store bought brands as most have high fructose corn syrup as the first ingredient. We've been using the Melinda's as it doesn't use it and also is lower in salt. That or make our own.
ggZCgSr.jpg

I will have to try that. I like some of the sugar free options like G.Hughes brand, they are great straight from the bottle. It is when they are cooked with that the aspartame taste really comes out.
I've been using the G. Hughes sauces and I mostly serve sauces at the table, so I only warm them in the micro. But before I glaze or add some to wrapped meats, I will add a little agave nectar.
dGb0Zwf.jpg

Accidently bought some of the NO SUGAR ADDED. wife wants to keep it but personally I would throw it out. She was complaining it still has fake sweetener of some kind, I will ask her when she gets home.

So many good recipes out there. Too many to not make your own. I adopted Tom Jackson's (ATBBQ) with a couple of minor tweaks.

I avoid the "sweet" sauces no matter the source.

G Hughes uses sucralose (Splenda). That stuff isn't much better than HFCS when it comes to inflammation.

BTW, Aspartame is the worst to me. I had to cut it out of my diet due to aching hands

I never much cared for Sweet Baby Ray's even when I wasn't worried about my sugar intake. But between the sweetness and the price, it's very popular. I haven't tried it, but they do have a sauce with no added sugar...

Accidently bought some of the NO SUGAR ADDED. wife wants to keep it but personally I would throw it out. She was complaining it still has fake sweetener of some kind, I will ask her when she gets home.
SBR sugar free uses Allulose which actually is a naturally occurring low calorie and low glycemic sweetener similar to Erthrytol, not chemically, but how your body processes it.

I just used the last of my SBR's this past week, and decided I need to find a way to make my own. I've tried several recipes over the years and was never happy. Not a fan of ANY of the artificial sweeteners. Reading this thread I had a thought of reducing fresh apple cider as the sweetener for a bbq sauce. Hmmm.

I just used the last of my SBR's this past week, and decided I need to find a way to make my own. I've tried several recipes over the years and was never happy. Not a fan of ANY of the artificial sweeteners. Reading this thread I had a thought of reducing fresh apple cider as the sweetener for a bbq sauce. Hmmm.
I have made my own in the past, the main problem is we don't use that much so it will go bad.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky