Night before or morning of?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PamAndJim

Original poster
Nov 10, 2017
My wife surprised me with a new WSM last week and am going to be trying it out this weekend. We have some people coming over around 6:00 Saturday and want to serve food around 6:30-7:00. I have one 8.74 pound brisket and 2 pork shoulders that each weigh about 7.5 pounds. I'm planning on smoking everything at 225 degrees. I've smoked both types of meat before and comfortable doing so. But, it's always been on my old propane Masterbilt smoker. But, with this being the first smoke on the smoker, I'm torn on when to fire it up. My options are:

- Start it at midnight tonight & foil/towel/cooler it until it's time to serve - In the past, this is probably they route I would've taken. But, I am a little hesitant to do so since I'll be sleeping through the initial part of the cook. This method would guarantee me that the food will be done in time.

- Wake up early and start it at 5:00am. My only hesitation here would be having enough time for the meat to cook. At 1 1/2 hour per pound (yes, I know this is only a guideline) it would take the brisket a little over 13 hours to cook. This means, I'd pull it out of the smoker just in time to serve it... IF everything goes as planned. I've had briskets in the past that have taken up to 2 hours per pound to cook. I don't want all of my friends standing around staring at me because the food's not ready yet.

I'm leaning toward option 1. What would yall do?

Don't forget the time that it will take to heat up. If you plan for the meat to go in at 5 then the smoker needs time to come to temp before that. Also, if it is new then you will need to season it too.

I tend to lean towards option 1. Whenever I don't leave myself extra time, that always seems to be the time when my cook times end up extending beyond the "expectation for completion." Take that and couple it up with it being your inaugural run, I'd go the safe route.

Option 1 for me each time. Once time is gone can't get it back or make more. Dinner time is dinner time

Thanks all. When in doubt, the better safe than sorry option is always best. I'll just stay up for a while after I put it on to make sure everything seems stable.

Given this is your first smoke on the WSM I would go with option 1, rather safe then sorry. The first few times I ran my WSM it took me more time then I thought to get started.

Yep, option 1. If you get done early, you can leave them wrapped in foil, and then wrapped in towels inside an empty cooler or ice chest. They will keep warm for hours.

My wife surprised me with a new WSM last week and am going to be trying it out this weekend. We have some people coming over around 6:00 Saturday and want to serve food around 6:30-7:00. I have one 8.74 pound brisket and 2 pork shoulders that each weigh about 7.5 pounds. I'm planning on smoking everything at 225 degrees. I've smoked both types of meat before and comfortable doing so. But, it's always been on my old propane Masterbilt smoker. But, with this being the first smoke on the smoker, I'm torn on when to fire it up. My options are:

- Start it at midnight tonight & foil/towel/cooler it until it's time to serve - In the past, this is probably they route I would've taken. But, I am a little hesitant to do so since I'll be sleeping through the initial part of the cook. This method would guarantee me that the food will be done in time.

- Wake up early and start it at 5:00am. My only hesitation here would be having enough time for the meat to cook. At 1 1/2 hour per pound (yes, I know this is only a guideline) it would take the brisket a little over 13 hours to cook. This means, I'd pull it out of the smoker just in time to serve it... IF everything goes as planned. I've had briskets in the past that have taken up to 2 hours per pound to cook. I don't want all of my friends standing around staring at me because the food's not ready yet.

I'm leaning toward option 1. What would yall do?
Since you have not used smoker b4 and charcoal burns out rather quickly, I would suggest starting the night b4 and put it in cooler when done and you will rest assured that dinner will be on time.That way they wont drink all your beer while waiting for dinner.Don"t forget minion method with charcoal and pre-season cooker nite b4.

Just another solid vote for option 1. A very long time ago, I tried a same day cook early in the morning with guests coming later that day similar to what you're doing and I ended up having pizzas delivered. That was the last time I did that.

Whenever I do "Big Meats" such as briskets or shoulders, I usually start around 11:00 PM in my smoker (Cookshack electric) set at 200F. At 7:00 AM, the IT is usually around 150F, and I turn the temp up to 225F. The meat is usually finished around 4:00 PM, and I then FTC it until dinner time, which is usually around 7:00 PM. No anxiety involved.

OK. I'm a little nervous now. I started it last night using the minion method. I put it on a little after midnight. I woke up and the smoker was a tad under 200 degrees. The internal temp on the pork is about 145. I added some more coals to get the temp up. But, I'm concerned that it might not have made it out of the danger zone quickly enough to be safe to eat. What should I do?

I'm assuming that you didn't inject either the butt or the brisket, if that is so, you are fine.
Just keep smoking them & enjoy your meal.
Al

Well if it was me I'd probably just continue to cook them & not worry about it.
But just to be on the safe side I PM'd a couple of food safety guys (@daveomak & @chef jimmyj )
Hopefully one or the other will be on here shortly.
In the meantime just continue to smoke everything.
Al

Well if it was me I'd probably just continue to cook them & not worry about it.
But just to be on the safe side I PM'd a couple of food safety guys (@daveomak & @chef jimmyj )
Hopefully one or the other will be on here shortly.
In the meantime just continue to smoke everything.
Al

Will do. Thank you so much. I'm seriously having a heart attack over here .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky