• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Kris don't feel you have to run smoke the whole time it's running. Quite often I will only run smoke fo 2 or 3 hours depending on what I'm smoking. It's a matter of personal preference.
I stopped adding after 3 hours, but only because I thought continuing to smoke it wouldn't help. After I tasted it and thought it was plasticy, I wondered if it was the wood so the last fill was changed to mesquite. I guess I thought there was a still a chance to change the taste...lol. It was still the same.
I'm wondering, if I use only Applewood next time, should I continue to fill the chip loader full every 45min-1hr or put in less?

I watched a guy on YouTube, who was some kind expert, say that no smoke penetrates after the first two hours. Don't want to miss my chance...lol.

Why do you stop adding? Does it prevent an overly smoky taste, layering the smoke more and more, that you don't like? I'm thinking, when things are smoked over a wood fire, there's no way to stop it, except maybe wrapping. And that has always tasted good to me.

Last edited:
I stop because I don't like too much smoke. For the most part smoke will keep adhering as long as there is moisture for it to stick to. Once you get a good bark it slows down.
The MES-30 electric is built so the chip tray sits right over the heating element. Typically you only get smoke generation during a heating cycle. The problem is if you aren't running it hot enough you you won't get the smoke you want because you're not close enough to the combustion point of the wood. I had a hard time getting any smoke from mine unless I ran it right a the top at 275. You want thin blue smoke. White is no good.
What temp were you running at and were the chips reduced to ash?

I stopped adding after 3 hours, but only because I thought continuing to smoke it wouldn't help. After I tasted it and thought it was plasticy, I wondered if it was the wood so the last fill was changed to mesquite. I guess I thought there was a still a chance to change the taste...lol. It was still the same.
I'm wondering, if I use only Applewood next time, should I continue to fill the chip loader full every 45min-1hr or put in less?

I watched a guy on YouTube, who was some kind expert, say that no smoke penetrates after the first two hours. Don't want to miss my chance...lol.
I stop because I don't like too much smoke. For the most part smoke will keep adhering as long as there is moisture for it to stick to. Once you get a good bark it slows down.
The MES-30 electric is built so the chip tray sits right over the heating element. Typically you only get smoke generation during a heating cycle. The problem is if you aren't running it hot enough you you won't get the smoke you want because you're not close enough to the combustion point of the wood. I had a hard time getting any smoke from mine unless I ran it right a the top at 275. You want thin blue smoke. White is no good.
What temp were you running at and were the chips reduced to ash?
I was running at 220, but it went to 250. I opened it to cool it off, turned it down to 200 and it went to 210ish and pretty much stayed there.

It seemed like every time I looked at it, it was smoking. I did see white smoke, primarily at the beginning of each fill but not the whole time. I don't really understand the thin blue smoke yet. For some reason, I was under the impression that you want thin blue for cold smoking. I also thought the chips would heat up and keep each other sort of smoldering even if the heating element shut off, plus the unit is still filled with smoke. Maybe this is why I'm seeing people using those pellet contraptions in their wood chip smokers...hmmmm. I was wondering about that.

I also had the vent closed for the first hour and didn't know it, but open thereafter. I would have put it half open to start. I've heard people say they keep it closed the whole time. I don't know about that. I don't want "the bad smoke!" I wondered if that had something to do with what I tasted, but everybody else liked it.

The chips did go to ash. It does have a 1200W heating element so maybe that helps.

You want thin blue smoke for every temperature. I run mine with the vent wide open 100% of the time. I had a hard time getting good smoke from the chip tray and switched to the pellet tray in a mailbox mod and never had another problem with the smoke. Your chips turning to ash is good. One of the problems with Masterbuilt electrics is they can be squirrelly on temp control. What the control says the temp is and what it really is can be quite different. I used an old dial oven thermo and checked the difference. Mine runs about 15 degrees lower than the control says. That might be something for you to try.

Reactions: KrisUpInSmoke
I think my first smoke was a bit too smoky/plasticy tasting for me too but I probably added a forest to my fire throughout the entire smoke haha...also I think it might have been adding unlit coals and wood that wasn't pre-warmed. Being my first ever fire I hadn't got a clue and I was just doing anything to keep the temp up. Not sure on your set up but I have now started adding a heap of fully lit coals towards the back of my smoker box and keep a couple of chunks warming towards the front.. they seem to catch a lot better if they are already warm. I also stopped going by the hood thermometer after my first smoke because it was out, I found I was smoking at a much lower temp than I thought.

I run my MES 140S at 225 most of the time, I have zero issues with the chips smoking..and I basically go smoke the entire time. I also run apple so it's alot milder then say, mesquite. <Actually I tend to blend apple and cherry and some hickory, or oak..>

As for thin blue smoke; it's where ...what is the best way to put it. When you have a cigarette and you are letting it just smolder. Not when you are taking a drag, but it's sitting in an ash tray. Really light, on the verge of going out. I know I got a good thin smoke going if I try to look through the screen door and I can't tell if it's going, but if I go out and check, it's still there.

Also I don't know what the plastic flavour is; I can't comprehend this but it leads me to wonder if you seasoned the smoker properly the first time..or..these days. What crap was put in the chicken? Check whats in stuff, some chicken is up to 20% some thing or another solution.

PS: I know, I shouldn't be using a cigarette for a comparison, it's a horrid habit and I'm actively trying to quit. Only smoke when I drink at a bar or on long drives. But I can't think of any thing else to explain it!

Just alittle update: I redid this smoke with the same wood (half Apple and half hickory) with the same meat (baby back ribs), but used only SPOG on 2 racks and a store bought on 1, rather than the rub of many things I put on last time.

I'm still using the chip tray and wood chips in the MES.

I really think you all were right when you suggested that I spent too much time in the smoke when I did this before. I don't see the rub making a huge difference for this experience. I have since avoided hickory completely and used Applewood sparingly... but these ribs were awesome with hickory and Apple wood, both flavors of rub. I thought I didn't like hickory and maybe even Apple was too strong, but they were delicious today and I will definitely use them again.

Thank you to everyone who helped me try to understand what was going on with this smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky