Newby, Masterbuilt question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kirbygw

Original poster
Jun 5, 2022
Just got a Masterbuilt 30" digital electric smoker. Did the initial seasoning according to owners manual. Today I smoked a rack of baby backs. Smoked at 225F for 3 hrs using applewood chips. I added chips every hour as directed. After three hours, wrapped ribs in foil and continued cooking at 225 for another 2 hrs. I unwrapped the ribs for the last hour and one half and added a few more chips. Plenty of smoke when I opened the door to wrap ribs and when I unwrapped for the final leg. Ribs tasted ok but really had no smoke flavor. There was no visible smoke ring on the meat.

What did I do wrong? Does this smoker need to be used more before it really gets efficient at smoking meat? I did not soak the wood chips per the instruction to get maximum smoke.

I struggled with an MES for years. I never had a smoke ring. And the MES smoke flavor will never compare to a stick burner. And you should never soak the chips as it just creates acrid smoke that leaves a bitter flavor. When I wanted more smoke flavor I skipped the chips and used pellets in an A-MAZE-N. The tube works fine but the maze will give you smoke for a lot longer. If you turn your pellets into dust, that’s even better. There’s a lot of info on here to do that.

This, plus 6-8 feet of metal dryer vent tubing. The MB is great for holding temp perfect, not so great as a smoke generator.

Edit: Doesn't seem to like my original link. Remove spaces.
https:// www.amazon.com /gp/product/B008DF6WWE/

Last edited:
In an electric smoker, the combustion temperature and oxygen supply are too low to produce nitric oxide which then interacts with the myoglobin in the meat to produce the smoke ring. No smoke ring is common to all electric smokers. So, you didn't do anything wrong.
As Sven mentioned above, you could use a smoke tube or tray to produce more smoke. You could also try not wrapping the ribs so that they are exposed to smoke during the entire cook.

In an electric smoker, the combustion temperature and oxygen supply are too low to produce nitric oxide which then interacts with the myoglobin in the meat to produce the smoke ring. No smoke ring is common to all electric smokers. So, you didn't do anything wrong.
As Sven mentioned above, you could use a smoke tube or tray to produce more smoke. You could also try not wrapping the ribs so that they are exposed to smoke during the entire cook.
Thanks for the replies. I've read through this forum about the pellet tube, pellet tray, etc. I saw a video on you tube where a guy recommended putting 5 pellets in the existing tray. He says he adds pellets when necessary and has been doing this for 5 years with good results, much better/more smoke.

Good Information above, maybe try hickory or mesquite for a stronger smoke flavor, fruit wood has a lighter smoke flavor did you have your top vent open to keep the smoke fresh and moisture to escape. also I wouldn't put water in your pan if you did. Also get yourself an independent thermometer to verify the chamber temps the factory thermometers are known not to be accurate.

Thanks for the replies. I've read through this forum about the pellet tube, pellet tray, etc. I saw a video on you tube where a guy recommended putting 5 pellets in the existing tray. He says he adds pellets when necessary and has been doing this for 5 years with good results, much better/more smoke.
You certainly could give that method a try.
Many MES users here at SMF swear by the smoke tubes or trays to produce additional and better smoke quality.
There is also a thing called a mailbox mod, though it used primarily used for cold smoking.
Type in mailbox mod in the search function here on the site and you find plenty of threads/information.

Just got a Masterbuilt 30" digital electric smoker. Did the initial seasoning according to owners manual. Today I smoked a rack of baby backs. Smoked at 225F for 3 hrs using applewood chips. I added chips every hour as directed. After three hours, wrapped ribs in foil and continued cooking at 225 for another 2 hrs. I unwrapped the ribs for the last hour and one half and added a few more chips. Plenty of smoke when I opened the door to wrap ribs and when I unwrapped for the final leg. Ribs tasted ok but really had no smoke flavor. There was no visible smoke ring on the meat.

What did I do wrong? Does this smoker need to be used more before it really gets efficient at smoking meat? I did not soak the wood chips per the instruction to get maximum smoke.
I have been smoking on a 30” Masterbuilt electric for years. I’m on my second one. You don’t get a smoke ring but you can get a good smoke flavor. I agree with whoever said try hickory or mesquite chips for a stronger smoke flavor. Keep the flu open and the acrid sooty taste won’t happen . I love my Masterbuilt and the wonderful barbecue it makes. Good luck

I use a smoke tube with pellets I'm my mes 30. I have a box mounted to the side where the dump tube is. It produces good smoke but as others have noted it will never produce a ring. I have even tried burning kingsford charcoal in the tray of the smoker. I've successfully burned many briquettes and there is still no visible ring.

I think it can be done with a different type of mailbox mod and an open flame or burning wood inside it but that is too much trouble in my opinion. I've used the tube directly in the cabinet and in my can mod and both produce good smoke flavor.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Hey Kirbygw. My smoker is a Masterbuilt electric. Been using it for about 7 years and love it. Glad to hear you didn't soak your chips--what people think is extra smoke is really just steam, and that won't help you at all.
I gave up using chips shortly after I got the smoker. I switched to using the AMNPS, the maze tray, to hold and burn the pellets for the smoke. There are several advantages to using smoking pellets--the main 2 being more smoke on the meat, and getting from 6 to 8 hours of smoke without having to refill the tray.
I added the mailbox mod to hold the AMNPS and use it for every smoke I do--hot and cold. IMO, the AMNPS combined with the mailbox mod is a lot better than using chips. It still won't give you a smoke ring, but the ring is just for looks anyway--makes no difference to the flavor. I wasn't able to find an actual mailbox, so I simply built one out of 3/4 inch plywood. Then it was just a matter of attaching the 3" metal drier hose to the box and inserting it into the hole for the chip loader in the MES.

Mailbox.jpg

As said, apple being a fruit wood is fairly mild. A better choice would be hickory or its milder cousin, pecan. Mesquite is a very strong wood, but nice. You just have to experiment and pick the amount of smoke from it you like.
As said by others, a digital thermometer with at least 2 probes is highly recommended, as the chamber temp and meat probe on a MES are almost always far from accurate. And always keep the top vent wide open to keep air moving through the smoker. This helps prevents the stale smoke from sitting in the smoker. Stale smoke does NOT produce good tasting food.
A MES does not need the water bowl. The MES seals so well that it produces its own moisture. I just filled my bowl with sand for a heat sink and foiled it over for easier clean up. Covering the drip tray with foil also saves a lot of time and effort when it's clean up time.
Hope this helps.
Gary

Hey Kirbygw. My smoker is a Masterbuilt electric. Been using it for about 7 years and love it. Glad to hear you didn't soak your chips--what people think is extra smoke is really just steam, and that won't help you at all.
I gave up using chips shortly after I got the smoker. I switched to using the AMNPS, the maze tray, to hold and burn the pellets for the smoke. There are several advantages to using smoking pellets--the main 2 being more smoke on the meat, and getting from 6 to 8 hours of smoke without having to refill the tray.
I added the mailbox mod to hold the AMNPS and use it for every smoke I do--hot and cold. IMO, the AMNPS combined with the mailbox mod is a lot better than using chips. It still won't give you a smoke ring, but the ring is just for looks anyway--makes no difference to the flavor. I wasn't able to find an actual mailbox, so I simply built one out of 3/4 inch plywood. Then it was just a matter of attaching the 3" metal drier hose to the box and inserting it into the hole for the chip loader in the MES.

View attachment 634028

As said, apple being a fruit wood is fairly mild. A better choice would be hickory or its milder cousin, pecan. Mesquite is a very strong wood, but nice. You just have to experiment and pick the amount of smoke from it you like.
As said by others, a digital thermometer with at least 2 probes is highly recommended, as the chamber temp and meat probe on a MES are almost always far from accurate. And always keep the top vent wide open to keep air moving through the smoker. This helps prevents the stale smoke from sitting in the smoker. Stale smoke does NOT produce good tasting food.
A MES does not need the water bowl. The MES seals so well that it produces its own moisture. I just filled my bowl with sand for a heat sink and foiled it over for easier clean up. Covering the drip tray with foil also saves a lot of time and effort when it's clean up time.
Hope this helps.
Gary
What is inside the box that keeps the tray and embers off the wood?

As mentioned above...you won't get a smoke ring but I do believe you will be much more pleased with the mailbox mod. Mes 30 analog smoker here...and I believe my thermometer is 20 degrees off, add to that 20 to 25 degree temp swings so definitely go with remote thermometer with 2 probes... one for smoker and one for internal meat temp.

Ryan

1. Search for posts by BearCarver. Dude knows the MES and has *fantastic* advice
  2. Another vote for the mailbox + the AMAZN maze or tube (even though Bearcarver says you don't need the mailbox). It absolutely rocks for 'fire and forget' thin blue smoke for hours and hours.
  3. If you live at altitude (e.g. Denver), oxygen is more limiting and the maze won't work, you have to go to the tube. Oh, and my cook times damn near doubled from sea level. (6+ hrs for St Louis ribs, 20+ for pork shoulder, both at 270).
Starting out, getting the smoke right was a bitch. I never got it right until I built the mailbox mod with tube (maize would be better near sea level). Until I got the smoke right, my smoking life was frustrating and inconsistent. Now I have it so crazy consistent with excellent results that I'd never give up my MES for a stick burner.

What is inside the box that keeps the tray and embers off the wood?
Following DaveOmak's post on the subject, I bolted 4 carriage bolts to the bottom of the AMNPS to act as legs. This keeps the AMNPS elevated off the wood and allows better air flow to the pellets. The inside of my "mailbox is completely blackened from heat and smoke, but this has never been a fire hazzard. I've been using this setup for years now.
Gary

If using a tube, you can simply add a couple large U shape bolts to prevent it from rolling around.

Here’s my mailbox mod…..
014BF2B2-ECE2-483B-AFA8-E8C7F83FC1AF.jpeg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky