• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

philc

Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
NYC Queens
I just retired been thinking about building my own but was given the choice of gifts for my retirement.  My picked it out since I was thinking of smoking some meat.  It came in a few days ago a brinkman all in one gas grill and smoker.  Picked up some chunks today to season it.  Little rough keeping the temp stable when I first started it saw temp rising fast but noticed asfter alittle while it would start to drop and then stabilize got some good smoke then it dissapated but could still smell it and just see it every once in a while.  Going to pick up an oven therm. tomorrow because the one it came with looks like crap and going to another seasoning to be sure its done properly.  Wish me luck probably going to try ribs this week.

Hi Phil! 
welcome1.gif
 to SMF!! We're happy to have you! What you saw later is what you want, we call it TBS (thin blue smoke), smoke that is a thin blue color or not at all just the smell of it. Before you buy that oven therm you might want to think of getting a Maverick, 2 probes 1 for smoker temp 1 for meat temp and a remote so you can monitor it from inside the house. A forum sponsor Todd has the ET-732 with free shipping right now: http://www.amazenproducts.com/  Also since you are new to this you might want to take Jeff's Free 5 day E-course, it will teach you all the basics plus a whole lot more: http://www.smoking-meat.com/smoking-basics-ecourse.html

Hello Phil and 
welcome1.gif
to SMF - have lots of fun with the new toy - congrats on the retirement . 

Thanks it was an unwanted retirement but I'll take it.  Notice with the smoker having problems keeping the wood lit.  I have chunks on top of lava rocks the way they tell you in the instructions. Any suggestions

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky