Newbie from Virginia

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Towu4free

Original poster
Jun 25, 2018
Hello all!

I was gifted a Pit Boss electric smoker for fathers day and figured it best to get on here with some experienced like minded smokers for the best use of my new toy. With that said.. I have never smoked anything.. ever.

I have my first rack of ribs in there now at 240 Started at 9Am. Hickory chips and vents open first 20 min. Took awhile to get the chips smoking and theyre still not smoking very much. i took some out in fear i was smothering it. Of course i have the water pan in etc. Meat probe is reading around 174 right now. I suppose we will see how this goes! Glad to be a member.

Welcome to SMF from Minnesota. Are you using the 3-2-1 method? 3 hrs. in the smoke, 2 hrs. wrapped. 1 hr. with sauce in the open. Should make some really good ribs.

Honestly I'd just run with 3-2-1 and you want what is called TBS. Thin Blue Smoke. Where it's almost hard to see. Like when you got a cigarette smoldering away and it's just wisps of smoke as it does. <I honestly can never think of another way of explaining it>.

Hope you enjoy them ribs!

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Virginian (Winchester).I don't think many people here have your smoker as it is relatively new to the market.I am not much help in your chip/smoke question because I am a charcoal/wood smoker.Someone will chime in about the behavior of the chip tray soon I expect.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Reactions: Rings Я Us
Welcome to the SMF group..
Good to have ya.
Does your smoker have that( Extra Smoke)
Button or feature? Not sure if you have the analog or the digital version. I know one model has the feature to crank up the chip area heating element.
Maybe they are like most electric smokers.. Not much chips burn under a certain temp. Should get a few whisps on and off at least.
Hope you get a good system going to keep it smoking. Best of luck.
Have fun.!

Reactions: motocrash
Welcome to the site, can you post a picture of it.

Chris

Thank you all for the warm welcomes! I plan to try my hand at it again this weekend when i have ample time to follow the 3-2-1 method. Ill try to snap a pic of er. I was thinking of heating it to 280-300 to get the chips going then putting the ribs in and dial it down to 225ish when i go at it again. Im excited to continue use of this as it is a very neat and i LOVE meat. Will keep everyone in the loop.

Reactions: Rings Я Us
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky