Newbie from League City, Texas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tgifntx

Original poster
Sep 17, 2016
Hello,

My name is Mike and I live in League City, Texas.  I just purchased a Dyna Glo Vertical Smoker.  I am brand new to the smoking process.  So I have many questions for all of you experienced pros out there.  The first would be this.  I want to smoke a brisket using the most recent recipe sent out. (Smoking Brisket for Game day)   But the only problem is that a whole packer brisket will not fit in my smoker, being that it is vertical.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could still smoke a packer in this smaller smoker?  Thanks in advance for your comments,  I look forward to gaining knowledge from them all.

Welcome Mike!  I don't know the size of your smoker, but I have a 15.8 lb whole packer on my 18.5 WSM as we speak.  You could always trim off some of the flat so that it fits your smoker.  I'm doing the Game Day recipe as well.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum!

As Mike said you could trim off some of the flat.

Or some guys drape it over a can which will shorten it up a little.

How much too big is it?

Al

​My smoker is a smaller vertical charcoal one. the cooling racks are only 14 inches by 13 inches.   So I would almost need to cut the packer in half. My smoker has 5 racks in it. So I have plenty of room to cook both.  But where I am lost is how to cook both pieces and have them come out tasting great.  I have read that there is a big difference in cooking a point and a flat.  Any suggestions?  Since I am a newbie to the site. What does WSM stand for?

Thanks

WSM stands for Weber Smokey Mountain.

I would just cut it in half if that is the only way it will fit.

The end with the point will take longer to cook, but they should both do fine.

The only other way would be to separate the point & flat, then cut the flat in half.

You would then have 3 pretty equal sized pieces.

This may be the better option.

Al

Hello all,
gordonw6 here in Columbia S.C.18 year Army retire just trying to master this old smokey electric smoker. I've had it a couple years, but just haven't quite got to where I want it, my meat is to moist.

texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum, from a warm and humid day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky