Newbie from Illinois

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mkriebs

Original poster
Mar 12, 2017
Hey all! Just wanted to stop in and say hey and thank you for a great forum. For a long time I have loved to cook, but mostly kept it to the grill, or in the kitchen. So, I am new to smoking, just picked up a Charbroil electric smoker and a Maverick remote thermometer 2 weeks ago.

Last weekend I smoked a pork shoulder, I used a combination of my own brine and Bad Byron's butt rub. The pork shoulder was a semi success, I got killed by the stall and ended up pulling the shoulder after 6 hours of smoking (for 3#) and cutting it (was at 170*, so not shredding). I also smoked some green beans, which turned out as a semi-success too. I think they got too dry, but tasted real good. Today, I am experimenting with pork chops and hopefully some potatoes.

Overall, I am satisfied with my Charbroil smoker, however, I wish I had gotten something that had cold smoke capability. I have been thinking about doing a similar mod to the mailbox mod that I have seen on here, any suggestions? I would love to do some cheeses and some deviled eggs, as well as some fish.

Other stuff about me... I am a Registered Nurse, a car fanatic, hobby fabricator, and an all around handyman. Current project is swapping a 6 liter LS engine into a Pontiac Solstice with a lot of other custom parts! 

Thanks again, happy smokin'!
Matt 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky