New Yoder arrived, But......

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rwilli

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 8, 2018
Central New Mexico
yoder 640.JPG
My new Yoder 640 arrived on Thursday; but since I was out of town, my wife had to take possession of it. Now, as many of you know, this was supposed to be delivered by Fed Ex Freight on a truck with a lift gate and delivered to your driveway or garage. So on my way home I am expecting to pull up to the drive way and see a large palletized box in the driveway or if I am lucky, in the garage. What I saw was anything but. It seems the truck didn't have a lift gate so the driver unboxed everything and with the help of my wife and son, got It all in the garage. When I pulled up in the drive way and opened the Garage, All I saw was cardboard, and BBQ pieces and parts all over my garage floor. Luckily, I had read the assembly instructions online before receiving the grill and it actually went together pretty easily and with no damage.

I did the first burn-in yesterday and will be cooking 4 racks of ribs today. After the burn-in, I played with the damper a bit to balance out the heat , and it seems to be near equal on the left and right side of the grill @ about 6 inches in. There is 20-25 degrees difference between the controller temperature reading and center lower grill, so a setting of 250 should give me 225 center rack---which makes sense, since most of the Yoder videos set the controller to 250----Time will tell?

Bob

Congrats on the new grill, I wish I could afford the Yoder but it's out of my price range. I'll just have to settle for something else next spring, when I plan on getting my pellet grill. Keep us updated with your cooks, looking forward to them.

Wow---Love this smoker----1st cook came out great. I smoked 2 racks of baby backs and two racks of spare ribs. I cooked one of each with the 321 method (which was actually a 322) and the other two I cooked without wrapping at all.
All came out absolutely wonderful---Pull off the bone tenderness yet maintained the juiciness. I will admit that the two I cooked without wrapping had a much tougher bark, which tasted good but was a thicker and tougher--especially on the rib side. I was trying to maintain moistness by spraying with apple juice about once an hour, but I only sprayed the tops, not the ribside, so that may have contributed to the tougher bark----If you have any suggestions on how to avoid a tough bark when cooking dry rub ribs, Please do share your wisdom. I do have to give a shout out to the guys at Squeal Like a Pig BBQ who uploaded a great recipe for pork rub on you tube here: ----This stuff is really good. Probably the best I have ever tasted---which is good because this recipe yields a huge batch. The image below was after I had already removed one of the racks. Anyway---Very Very happy with the first cook and so was the family. The Yoder was dream to cook on.
IMG_0580.JPG

Reactions: retfr8flyr
Congrats Bob on the new Yoder. Had mine since April and I've got no complaints at all so far. I hope you enjoy yours as much as we enjoy ours. They are cooking machines! Mine has turned into a science project with Temp gauges everywhere. Nice touch with the stainless shelves.

Reactions: rwilli
You will love the Yoder, I have had mine for a year and a half now, the first 6 months I messed with the damper and checked temps (left right top bottom) and finally decided it really didn't matter that much in the end product.

It wasn't long after I quit messing with it Yoder put out a statement on damper adjustment basically saying its not that effective. Mine had been all the way out for close to a year now and it makes great Q.

Congratulations on the new smoker - it looks great, and sounds like it puts out some good food. Enjoy it.

Chris

Thanks all, and yes, I have spent the first week or so playing with the damper, only to realize that the 5 inches stated in the owners manual works about as well as anything. Although I really like the stainless shelves, Had I known how heavy duty the included shelves were, I would have spent money on meat, wood pellets or temp gauges. But all that said, I am very happy with the Yoder---- My first ribs came out absolutely perfect and I cooked a pork roast the other day that came out very nice as well-----Going to Costco tonight; This weekend, Brisket and burnt ends, Next week-- brisket/pastrami.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky