Cold smoking some cheese in the Yoder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cptnding

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 13, 2021
Testing out a different way of using my Yoder YS640 as a cold smoker and thought why not throw in some cheese! Already had a 5 pound block of Cooper Sharp White American and cut into 8ish oz chunks. Will give it 6 hours or so and see how it turns out in a couple of weeks.

IMG_4062.jpg

What are you using for smoke source, the Yoder itself? Don't want you to melt your cheese... 912smoker 912smoker has a nice pic of how not to smoke cheese !
And 6 hours might be too much.

Ryan

Reactions: Colin1230
Oh no! Not using the Yoder lol. Using pellet trays.
I've used the Yoder for years to cold smoke bacons and some cheese. On the Yoder if you turn the power on the fans will run but until you hit start nothing else happens. Without the fans on the draft is terrible and the pellets always go out. With the fans on the air flow seems to be way too much. For the last few years years I've disconnected the power to one of the two fans but I still feel like it's too much air flow.
Recently I got a variable speed fan and have it mounted to the outside of the air intake with magnets. Set it on the lowest speed and so far it's working well. Tonight the weather is very low humidity which always works best for the pellet trays. I have bellies and loins in the cure so with time I'll see if this works better.

Oh no! Not using the Yoder lol. Using pellet trays.
I've used the Yoder for years to cold smoke bacons and some cheese. On the Yoder if you turn the power on the fans will run but until you hit start nothing else happens. Without the fans on the draft is terrible and the pellets always go out. With the fans on the air flow seems to be way too much. For the last few years years I've disconnected the power to one of the two fans but I still feel like it's too much air flow.
Recently I got a variable speed fan and have it mounted to the outside of the air intake with magnets. Set it on the lowest speed and so far it's working well. Tonight the weather is very low humidity which always works best for the pellet trays. I have bellies and loins in the cure so with time I'll see if this works better.
I have the same Yoder and do the same with the fan. Nice feature for sure.

FWIW - I do the same thing. That is, turn on the Yoder just to run the fan (do not hit start). Initially I put the pellet tube on top of the burn pot. However being in the direct path of the fan they would ignite and the temperature shot way up. A swing and a miss. Now I place it on the bottom rack making sure the heat defuser is in place. Note from the chart you can see ambient temp and temp of the smoker at the exhaust. ... and when the pellet tube ignited. ;-) https://share.fireboard.io/878BDC

FWIW - I do the same thing. That is, turn on the Yoder just to run the fan (do not hit start). Initially I put the pellet tube on top of the burn pot. However being in the direct path of the fan they would ignite and the temperature shot way up. A swing and a miss. Now I place it on the bottom rack making sure the heat defuser is in place. Note from the chart you can see ambient temp and temp of the smoker at the exhaust. ... and when the pellet tube ignited. ;-) https://share.fireboard.io/878BDC
Do you crack the diffuser open at all? I found doing it that way I didn't have enough airflow to keep it lit. Then I moved it to the fan path and that was definitely a fail.

Do you crack the diffuser open at all? I found doing it that way I didn't have enough airflow to keep it lit. Then I moved it to the fan path and that was definitely a fail.
No, the diffuser is in place and is not opened at all. And by opened I assume you mean the two piece diffuser door that is removed during searing is ajar. The 12" tube is placed on the far left side on the main grate.

I use the tube because of my high elevation but to keep it lit I place it on the bottom shelf over to the left side and right up against the lid. There is a small gap there between the main body and diffuser. That gap lets air up to the tube and it burns fine, otherwise it won’t stay lit. I smoke meats and cheese on the top rack and all the way to the right side closest to the exhaust. This distance away from the tube gives the smoke time to mix with air before it gets to the food and I think works and tastes best.

Reactions: Culinary Otter
Forgot to post a follow up on this. The variable speed fan worked well. The cheese isn't quite as dark as in the pics. The lights in my garage have a yellow hue. Bacons are on deck.
IMG_4063.jpg

That cheese looks really good. I've smoked cream cheese several times in my 640 and I put it on a wood plank. I've also found about 2 hours is sufficient with cream cheese. I did one for about 4 hours and it was a little bitter for my liking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky