New user hello, and I blame all of you!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

the bishop

Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
Found this forum while I was looking at info on propane smokers. I currently have a Lowes special Brinkmann vertical gas smoker. It's ok, but a pain to regulate the temperature and smoke output.

Well, after reading the reviews and info on this site I just ordered a GOSM big block. Can't wait for it to get here, and I'm already looking at the recipes... :drool

Welcome to SMF. Glad to have you here with us. Lots of great folks and info to help you.

Good luck with the new smoker

Thanks a bunch, guys. Just finished dinner a bit ago, pulled pork sandwiches smoked up with cherry. Wife and daughter gave rave reviews, guess that has to mean something, right? :grilling_smilie:

Welcome to SMF its nice to have ya.. Have fun and Happy smoking
icon14.gif

Don't blame me.  The guys on this site have screwed up my life forever.

Now I am making things I never even thought of before.  If you stay here that might happen to you too.

But there are great people here, and they share very generously.

Just get ready for a lot of work and pleasure for the next project all the experts here lead you to.

Good luck and good smoking !

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Welcome to the forum..... and don't worry your aren't completely screwed untill you  start picking up stuff in the store and our first thought is "I wonder how that would taste smoked?".

Welcome to the fraternal order of smokaholics, Bishop,

Now that you're hooked like the rest of us, Ya Gotta Smoke a FATTY!!!! When I first read about them HERE, I thought this has to be a grease sponge. But the grease renders out well and depending on the choice of ingredients you use, the Flavor it OVER THE TOP!

Also, please post your impressions of the GOSM Big Block too. I bought a Masterbuilt XL when Bass Pro Shops quit selling the Big Block. I have it moded to where it works great now, but it took some major tweaking. Im curious about your impressions.

Sorry I've been missing - Ton of stuff going on.

Got the big block in! It's assembled and seasoning as we speak.

I loaded the box with a mix of hickory chips and chunks, dry. No soak. In the first 30 minutes I didn't see much, if any, smoke. After an hour, I decided to pull the lid off the chip box and that seemed to be the key. I've got very light smoke. I put the lid back on to see what happens, and that killed the smoke. So now I took the wood box rack off the guides and I have it resting on the drip pan, with the box on top of it to get it closer to the flame, with no lid.. Guess I'll see what happens.

I'm happy with the build quality. The thermometer actually seemed to be within 3-4 degrees of the two digital thermometers I tested it against using hot water.

I just can't get this thing low enough, though. It's 76 here with some sun (in NJ) and even on low with the vents wide open I'm getting a steady 230 degrees. How can I cool this sucker off?

Hey Fife - Another smoke eater, huh? Got 17 years of the job myself.

Just looked up what a fattie is. I think there's one on the agenda when I get out of my 24 hour shift at work tomorrow.

Sqwib, I'm open to any and all suggestions!
Are you getting a clean flame?

Can you get the flame as low as in the first picture?

are you using the water pan, with water?

did you follow the manual to the letter, Open the propane valve 1-1/2 turns
20100521000+BB+LOW.jpg
20100521004+BB+MED.jpg
20100521006+BB+HIGH.jpg

The lid on should not kill the smoke, you may not see it bit if you smell it, your good.

TBS

moz-screenshot-2.png
20100521084+TBS.jpg

If the wood goes from this

20100521038.jpg

To this

20100521062.jpg

Then To this

20100521072.jpg
20100521068.jpg

This is the point the wood will not smoke anymore and it's pure carbon, but can still put off some heat if ignited.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky