New to this forum - not new to smokin. I NEED SOME HELP

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kansascitybbq

Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
San Diego, California
Hey everyone, I am a Kansas City grown boy transplanted to San Diego.  First off, I LOVE this web site and plan to be a frequent poster and recipe sharer! My issue: I am surrounded with apple (ok) and acidic MQ wood. Is there anyone in Cali or otherwise that can give me some help finding the good stuff - Shag Bark Hickory, wild cherry, pecan wood????? Would love an idea to get a half cord of any or all.

Welcome to the site KCBBQ,

Can't help ya with a wood sorce, I'm still in KC. Good luck and happy smoking.

man! i wish there was a way for us to do some trading! i have all kinds of access to shag bark hickory and little access to apple.

oh well.....
icon_sad.gif

cool.gif

First off welcome to SMF there KCBBQer. You'll like it here for there are alot of good folks here that would just love to share just about anything with you as new member. So I'm really glad that you will also be sharing your inputt some info that you have. So go get something to smoke and please do share it with us.

You two need to work something out using those boxes from the post office,

The ones they advertise ,any where shipped for the same price as long as it fits in the box

and its a decent sized box.

(not a half a truck load tho ,lol )

man! i wish there was a way for us to do some trading! i have all kinds of access to shag bark hickory and little access to apple.

oh well.....
icon_sad.gif

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Thanks you guys, I feel welcome and can tell the board has a great atmosphere. Wood is the quest to great BBQ in my opinion, for sure the reason why I love to BBQ! Every region has its wood to call its own.  Broke down and bought some dried out pecan wood from BBQ galore to smoke some Hanging Tenders.  Cant say I have smoked them before but came accross a great price and a perfect amount of money in my wallet to pay for it. About 5.5lbs, rich color and marble. Just peeled the membrane and carefull not to trim any fat.  Basic rub, REALLY low and SLOW - lasted about 3.5 to 4 hours with the wood chunks then wrapped em in some foil for a 300 degree fat rendering. Man you guys, really turned out great! I say hanging tenders are a poor mans Tri!!!  Give it a go!

pecan is our go to wood down here in louisiana as it grows wild.

But i love to try out other woods.

pecan is a mild wood in my opinion . but w/ the addition of a fruit wood . ( apple , cherry ,peach , plum, pear.) it makes for a great smoke.

i have to trim my satsuma trees after harvest so i will be trying citrus wood in the spring.

I'm a big fan of apple wood, and most around here, (Phoenix), use pecan or apple. Pecan, according to the local wood guru, is 'domesticated hickory' and much the same flavor, albeit not as strong. But I think apple gives such a nice sweet taste...Better with pork and chicken than with beef, but wonderful nonetheless. Good luck in your quest, and the large priority mail box may be all you're left with for now. Have you checked Craigslist?

I check out craigslist every month or so.  In San Diego we have 1 wood vendor that offers cooking wood and he is EXPENSIVE since his cost is sky high getting it into California.  They make him jump through all sorts of hoops to get it past the border check point (yes Cali has a boarder check point in the USA).  It has to be stacked a certain way on the pallet, sprayed for insects and on and on...  Maybe someday someone on this forum will be moving to San Diego with a Uhaul and i can help with his or her expenses;-)

(yes Cali has a boarder check point in the USA).  It has to be stacked a certain way on the pallet, sprayed for insects and on and on...  Maybe someday someone on this forum will be moving to San Diego with a Uhaul and i can help with his or her expenses;-)
D'OH! I used to live in Stan's Fernando Valley--near Van Nuys, TOTALLY!--and I had done that drive many many times. Many many years ago! I have forgotten that they patrol that border better'n OB patrols our southern border! Good luck in your further endeavors! We have a mess of friends from SD area here in the az barbeque circle. I'll put the word out.

Welcome to the SMF, looks like you're in for some good times and great smokes. If you don't mind driving to OC, check out this site, they carry a large selection, and they may deliver for a fee   http://www.thewoodshedoc.com/main.html?src=/

They have been around for a long time, and this is where I go to buy in bulk. It's all good my friend.

Yo KansasCityBBQ, 

Welcome to SMF!

Try freecycle.org  there is a free cycle list for most areas in the country especially San Diego.  Just put in a want ad, the best thing is you will get it for free once you connect with a few sources.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky