New to SMF

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dewman29

Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
Good evening. I have just recently gotten into smoking. A friend introduced me back in August, and I have been learning about it ever since. I started making homemade BBQ sauce and doing ribs and chicken in the oven. I just barely got a new Charbroil smoker, so I am anxious to get started.

I am going to try smoking some sausage and chicken tomorrow for New Years. Any advice would be great. I already posted in the Pork section and have gotten some good info.

Thanks, and I look forward to hearing from everyone and learning how to smoke. So I am learning at your feet. Thanks.

-DewMan.

Welcome to the forum. I would recommend a simple brine for the chicken. Maybe 2 hours for the average chicken.
1 gallon cold water
1/2 c kosher salt
1/2 c sugar
black pepper, spices etc.
mix all together

put in pot or leakroof plastic bag and compeltely submerge the bird.

Take out and wash well and dry.

You might want to inject the meat too if you have an injector. Butter, broth, cajun spices, whatever.

Poultry unless you are smoking something else that requires it you are better off with a higher temp of 300 or higher to get a crispy skin. Cook to a minimum internal temp of 165 in the thickest part of the bird.

Welcome to the smokin' capital of the Earth, SMF that is. Looks like you're ready to bring in the New Year with a Smoke! Good luck on your future smokes, and Happy New Year my new friend!

Welcome to SMF dewman. Ron has given you a good starting point with that chicken. USDA recommends a minimum of 165º internal temp. on poultry... I prefer to go a little higher to just over 170º some will cook all the way up to 180º but expect that to be a bit on the dry side.

Looking forward to seeing your posts. Don't forget the pics of your smokes.

Welcome to the forum Dewman!! We love to talk Q. Make sure you post some pics of your cooks...we love to see what you do!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky