New to injection

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Pit pixie

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 30, 2022
Southampton England 🇬🇧
Hi everyone,

I am trying to find out what goes into an injection for a brisket.
So far I have found the basics beef base, Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce, but this just seams plain to me.

Can I add other flavours, paprika, oinon and garlic for example?

I was going to make this evening and allow to cool before using on Friday.

Reactions: JC in GB
Here's the ingredients from a Kosmos injection. You can add whatever you want as long as it goes thru the needle.
INGREDIENT STATEMENT: Sodium Phosphate (36.4.%), Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Beef Flavoring (Beef Stock, Beef Flavor, Salt), Salt, Modified Corn Starch, Autolyzed Yeast, Onion & Garlic Powder, Sugar, Natural Mesquite Smoke Flavor (Contains Maltodextrin), Disodium Inosinate & Disodium Guanylate, Xanthan Gum, Spice. CONTAINS: Soy.

Screenshot_20230709_203704_Chrome.jpg And here is a pork injection from Myron Mixon.

Keith

You can definitely add spices like garlic to your liquid mix of beef base, Worcestershire etc. Commercial injections often add phosphates as well. They are aimed at moisture retention. A very good commercial beef injection is Butcher BBQ Prime Brisket injection. Mixes easily and results are money. A container of the powder lasts quite awhile. His bird booster injection is awesome as well. Lately injecting beef tallow is popular too.

Not a fan of adding beef flavors to beef but many are. I like my injections to be what I call sneaky (not obvious). I mean it's there but no one would know unless you told them. Beef injection for me is typically water, salt, msg, and STPP. From here, coat liberally with gran garlic and BP. Oak for wood.

Reactions: Pit pixie
You can definitely add spices like garlic to your liquid mix of beef base, Worcestershire etc. Commercial injections often add phosphates as well. They are aimed at moisture retention. A very good commercial beef injection is Butcher BBQ Prime Brisket injection. Mixes easily and results are money. A container of the powder lasts quite awhile. His bird booster injection is awesome as well. Lately injecting beef tallow is popular too.

I have used the Butcher BBQ and Kosmos products. Both are good products.

JC :emoji_cat:

Here is my beefy injection (and AuJus) that I use on a variety of beef products from brisket to prime rib.

Brisket – Chuck Roast Injection & AuJus

1 14 oz can Beef Consume
1 packet Lipton Beefy Onion Soup (dry mix)
1-1/2 of the soup can cold water
5 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 splashes of Soy Sauce
1 teaspoon of garlic salt
2 teaspoon Herb-OX beef bullion (or other beef bullion)
2 teaspoons Montreal Steak rub
1 teaspoon Smokin’ Guns Rub**
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Bring ingredients to a low simmer in a saucepan, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Try to avoid having the liquid come to a boil. Additional water can be added if flavors are too strong, or if liquid gets too thick. AuJus is a thin table sauce, NOT a gravy. Pour through strainer to remove the onions and coarse pieces from the Montreal Steak rub. Serve warm.

To use an injection, cool the liquid, and chill overnight. Skim any fat. Inject 3/4 to 1 ounce per pound at least 2 hours before cooking.

**Smokin' guns is a competition grade BBQ rub which contains MSG.

If you want to explore the use of phosphates there are several competition grade of injections in powder form that you can mix with water or beef broth. Big Poppa Cattle Prod, and Kosmo's Reserve Blend Beef are two that I like. I do mix them lighter than the 'competition' instructions. Check out your local Ace Hardware, many stores are carrying Kosmo's products.

Thanks guys.
I have gone with something simple.
I used 1 beef base cube (that's how they come over here)
100mil of red wine
500mil water
1 tea spoon of marmite
1tsp garlic powder
1tsp of onion powder
Half tsp of black pepper.

I simmered for 10 minutes to cook off the alcohol in the wine and let the flavours combine.
We will see how it goes.

Thank you again.

Thanks guys.
I have gone with something simple.
I used 1 beef base cube (that's how they come over here)
100mil of red wine
500mil water
1 tea spoon of marmite
1tsp garlic powder
1tsp of onion powder
Half tsp of black pepper.

I simmered for 10 minutes to cook off the alcohol in the wine and let the flavours combine.
We will see how it goes.

Thank you again.

I am interested in hearing how the marmite paste works out for flavoring. It has a really strong flavor and is not too popular here in the states.

Reactions: zwiller
I am interested in hearing how the marmite paste works out for flavoring. It has a really strong flavor and is not too popular here in the states.

As we say here " marmite you either love it or hate it"
It really does have a strong flavour, however it pairs with beef like a dream.
In stews anything with beef it just works well.

I am thinking of injecting my pork with the same flavour profile (without the cure salt) I use in a cure, would this work?

As we say here " marmite you either love it or hate it"
It really does have a strong flavour, however it pairs with beef like a dream.
In stews anything with beef it just works well.

I am thinking of injecting my pork with the same flavour profile (without the cure salt) I use in a cure, would this work?

I would likely change the beef broth to chicken or go 50 - 50 beef and chicken broth for injecting into pork. I have some marmite at home so I may just try making some shredded beef sandwiches using the marmite for flavor.

Make sure you post some pics of your results. I would love to see your cook.

Reactions: Pit pixie

I think it will work EXTREMELY well, I need pick some up myself. Some of us are playing with these umami boosters and Marmite is basically yeast extract but I think with added salt. I've used red wine in beef before and also good stuff. Mustard is another.

For pork use the Mixon one above @ post 3 fo shizzle! It's killer.

I would likely change the beef broth to chicken or go 50 - 50 beef and chicken broth for injecting into pork. I have some marmite at home so I may just try making some shredded beef sandwiches using the marmite for flavor.

Make sure you post some pics of your results. I would love to see your cook.

Any beef sauce/gravy/ju I make I always use a tea spoon (or more depending on my mood) of marmite.
I will start a new thread tomorrow with photos of the whole cook.

Reactions: JC in GB
I think it will work EXTREMELY well, I need pick some up myself. Some of us are playing with these umami boosters and Marmite is basically yeast extract but I think with added salt. I've used red wine in beef before and also good stuff. Mustard is another.

For pork use the Mixon one above @ post 3 fo shizzle! It's killer.
Colemans English mustard goes well, I use it in a powder form when doing honey glaze ham...but that is whole other thing.

Yes it is yeast extract
16898761468636341303829024122405.jpg

1689876185140777865894158365413.jpg

It puts the oomph into a lot of dishes, homely hearty dishes

Any beef sauce/gravy/ju I make I always use a tea spoon (or more depending on my mood) of marmite.
I will start a new thread tomorrow with photos of the whole cook.

Wow, I may have to look into using it in my cooking. I always love discovering new stuff.

Never tried marmite but my wife bought a jar for a work food day so at least I have some to experiment with. 🧑‍🍳:emoji_yum:🧙‍♂️

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky