• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

New to cooking fish....need advice

bgaviator

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 9, 2010
Just picked up some frozen, vac sealed Barramundi filets from Whole Foods. This will be my first time tackling fish and I will be cooking on my Kamado with my new acquired Soapstone.
For white fish like this, is it better just to purely put a dry seasoning on, or would a marinade be better? Or a combo of both?
Any particular good store bought dry rubs and marinades for fish? I guess there is always Old Bay, but didn't know if there was something better out there.
Thanks!

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
We usually just use EVOO, then dust the fish with Cajun seasoning. Keep a close eye on the fish as it will cook fast.
Al

kunseimania

Fire Starter
Joined Sep 20, 2020
I usually use a marinade with fish, but a dry rub should work fine. Just don't overcook the fish. If you use a dry rub, I'd keep some lemon or lime around to squeeze on it after it's cooked. A bit of citrus juice never goes amiss on fish.

I did some Nile Perch on the barbecue years ago, and I think that is a relative of Barramundi. I can't remember exactly how I did it, but I think I marinated it with lime, olive oil, garlic and possibly some rosemary. I DO remember that it turned out really well, and that it was a good, robust fish for barbecuing.

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
frozen, vac sealed Barramundi filets from Whole Foods.
I'm trying to figure fish out myself . I've heard bad things about thawing the vac packed frozen fish the wrong way .
So what's the right way ? I have heard it should be taken out of the wrap .

Bytor

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 16, 2020
I take it out of the vac pac and place it on a cooling rack on a sheet. Will put some plastic wrap on it, but not tight though.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 1, 2019
I'm trying to figure fish out myself . I've heard bad things about thawing the vac packed frozen fish the wrong way .
So what's the right way ? I have heard it should be taken out of the wrap .
C. Botulinum is an anaerobic bacteria, meaning spores thrive in low oxygen conditions, just like a vacuum sealed bag. So under certain conditions.... it's possible that they can develop into vegetative cells that can produce toxin if you were to thaw in the vac bags. But, the remedy is simple.... opening the package before thawing exposes the fillets to oxygen which will stop the spores from being able to produce toxins. Thaw your fish overnight in fridge and you are good to go.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.