New Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DocShadownix

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 23, 2019
Ok, so my 10 year old smoker (non digital Bradley) finally died... looking for a new vertical smoker.... I would love something digital - I hated always nudging the slider on the ol' Bradley. Something that can smoke sausages, ribs, etc... I have a Kamado Joe, but the vertical space for sausages is nil. Budget...well, flexible..something $500-1500. Anyway, I would love to see what you guys have/recommend. Thanks for any info.

So far what I like:
Pit Boss Vertical Pellet Smoker
Camp Chef Vertical Pellet Smoker
Lousianna Grills Vertical Smoker
Pellet Pro Vertical Smoker

Brian

Last edited:
Those are good choices.
Have you looked at Smokin-It and Smokin Tex.
Granted they're not pellet smokers if that is what you are interested in.

Hmm. No, but I just did. Thanks, Secondhand... I like the thought of pellet smokers because I don't have to open the smoker to add substrate. That is one thing I liked about the Bradley.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Hmm. No, but I just did. Thanks, Secondhand... I like the thought of pellet smokers because I don't have to open the smoker to add substrate. That is one thing I liked about the Bradley.

That is very understandable not wanting to be required to add chips etc.
I have heard good things about Pit Boss 5 and 7 series.

You wouldn't have to add wood to the Smokin-It/Smoking Tex smokers unless you're doing an extremely long smoke. They use a surprisingly small amount of wood for a long smoke ie butt or shoulder. I've got the smallest Smokin-It, the #1 and I'll burn 3-3 1/2 ozs for an 8-10 hr smoke and its still smoking when the meats done. I read on the Smokin_It forum the other day that old sarge old sarge uses 5-6 oz in his #3d for a butt or whole brisket. Any more than that & you're over smoking. Just load the fire box and don't open the door until its done.
eta wood chunks not chips.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Any other comments..hmmmm....thought I would get a few more...
Doc I have the Pit Boss #4 it is smaller then the 5 & 7 here are some of my cooks
Hope this helps
Richie

Thanks, Tropics...so it works well cold smoking using an AMNPS...good to know. And lucious looking food! YUM!

You wouldn't have to add wood to the Smokin-It/Smoking Tex smokers unless you're doing an extremely long smoke. They use a surprisingly small amount of wood for a long smoke ie butt or shoulder. I've got the smallest Smokin-It, the #1 and I'll burn 3-3 1/2 ozs for an 8-10 hr smoke and its still smoking when the meats done. I read on the Smokin_It forum the other day that old sarge old sarge uses 5-6 oz in his #3d for a butt or whole brisket. Any more than that & you're over smoking. Just load the fire box and don't open the door until its done.
eta wood chunks not chips.

Interesting... I have a Kamado Big Joe that lets me do chunk/wood smoking hence why I am looking at a pellet smoker, but hmmm I will have to ponder...

Well I jumped... sale on Camp Chef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker so I bought it and an AMNP5x8 so here we go! :) Can't wait for delivery!

Reactions: negolien
Worst part is it doesn't arrive for a week ...waiting...trying to be patient.... so HARD!!!

The waiting is the hardest part.
Have you decided on what you are going to cook for the maiden voyage?

It arrived...building it now and maiden voyage (after seasoning it) this weekend. Question, how long and what temp to season at? Was thinking like 225 and 4 hrs...

Reactions: negolien
It arrived...building it now and maiden voyage (after seasoning it) this weekend. Question, how long and what temp to season at? Was thinking like 225 and 4 hrs...

Not sure but their manual may have a break in process. If none given then I think the MES breakin process would work which I believe to be:

1. Run at max smoker temp for 2-3 hours with all stuff inside it to burn off factory oils (I just washing machine washed my instead)
2. Remove all racks and apply smoke for 1 hour
3. Let that set and then u are ready to smoke :)

Also Im not sure the AMNPS tray will run in an open flame smoker like a pellet grill but let us know if it does. Many of the pellet grill guys use the AMNPS tubes because they work in low oxygen environments... me personally I would find/force a way to use the AMNPS tray with a mailbox mod if I owned a pellet grill because 12hrs of no hassle perfect smoke independent of the heat source is awesome to have!!!!

Ok, so, seasoned and here is my first smoke...Tri-Tip Steak smoked for 2 hrs at 160 then ~1.5 hrs at 225 (High Smoke setting); took off at 138, rested and seared on my gas grill searing burner. Oh and made some smoked balsamic barbeque brussel sprouts too...MMM. Overall pretty darn happy with my new purchase and first smoke with a pellet smoker!
60038908800__1094470B-D5F2-4E5D-AB39-BFCF4E661479v2.JPG
IMG_1233.jpg
IMG_1234.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky