New Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mabrandt

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 22, 2008
Indiana
I have an old GOSM that I got at Walmart 5 or 6 years ago. It has served me well. It is not a big block, just the smaller one. I made some mods, but have always fought the temp control. I also didn't truly  have reasonable room for a full rack of ribs. It always overhung the grates until it shrunk up a little.

Anyway, I am looking for a new smoker. I have considered a wood one like the Horizen, but again, the keeping the temps right is not something I would look forward too. I do prefer the ease of gas. In searching the forums and reading the reviews, I still don't know what to get.

In the members opinion, what gas smoker needs the least amount of mods and holds 225 in various weather conditions. Notably in the sun. Money isn't really an object at this point. I am just looking for something I am not out adjusting the temp because a cloud passed over the sun.

The closest I have seen so far is the Smoke Vault 24, but there may be more out there. The other thing I have seen, without a lot of discussion here, are those Smoke Hollow combination offset/propane grills. If I could replace my Weber gas grill and my GOSM with one unit, that would be nice. I am just not quite sure how those work.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
Have u considered electric? Many here are having very good results with a line called Smokin-It. The Smokin-It 3 is the largest and can hold full racks of ribs. There is a user group on SMF now or just type in Smokin-It in the search bar for reviews and info. I was a propane user and got tired of trying to control temps so switched to a watt-burner and I don't miss messing with gas, charcoal or wood burners. But then, I've gotten lazier <grin> Good luck

Have u considered electric? Many here are having very good results with a line called Smokin-It. The Smokin-It 3 is the largest and can hold full racks of ribs. There is a user group on SMF now or just type in Smokin-It in the search bar for reviews and info. I was a propane user and got tired of trying to control temps so switched to a watt-burner and I don't miss messing with gas, charcoal or wood burners. But then, I've gotten lazier <grin> Good luck
I have considered electric, but kept reading about the problems some where having. I will certainly take a look at the Smokin-It. At first glance in the electric forum, all I saw were the fire hazards withe the Masterbuilts.

I have considered electric, but kept reading about the problems some where having. I will certainly take a look at the Smokin-It. At first glance in the electric forum, all I saw were the fire hazards withe the Masterbuilts.
Yeah, the new generation Mes's are problematic to say the least....I considered one and sooooo glad I passed. SI's pretty much getting rave reviews

Oh....I have the one for you!  Camp Chef Smoke Vault.  There is an 18" and a 24"....I have the 24 and love it.  I am very busy with my shop and family.  This is a set it and forget it....no mods needed.

Kat  (my 2 cents)

After much research I decided on the Smoke Vault 24. From all I have read,  it appears to do what's needed with very few or no mods. I also found it for just $25 more than the Masterbuilt GS40 XL, the other one I was considering. I even got free shipping. I was lucky, most places are out of stock included the manufactures web site.  I also seriously considered the Smoke-it electric, but decided to stay with the gas for now.

Thanks for the suggestions.

After much research I decided on the Smoke Vault 24. From all I have read,  it appears to do what's needed with very few or no mods. I also found it for just $25 more than the Masterbuilt GS40 XL, the other one I was considering. I even got free shipping. I was lucky, most places are out of stock included the manufactures web site.  I also seriously considered the Smoke-it electric, but decided to stay with the gas for now.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I really think you will like it! The only issues I have is some smoke leaks from the door. Dont really care either. My foods turn out great!

Congrats

Kat

The only issues I have is some smoke leaks from the door. 

Congrats

Kat
I am curious about this as I see a lot written about it. Why exactly is this an issue? My old GOSM has always leaked from the door and I have even slightly cracked open the top of the door to control temp. Does the extra smoke escaping make that much of a difference?

I am curious about this as I see a lot written about it. Why exactly is this an issue? My old GOSM has always leaked from the door and I have even slightly cracked open the top of the door to control temp. Does the extra smoke escaping make that much of a difference?
Good luck with the new rig!  I hear good things about the SV24.  The main issue with smoke leaking around the door is that it indicates that air is also leaking.  As a rule, you want to have control over air flow with your dampers, and a leaky door makes that more challenging.  Its not a huge deal, but can cause some problems in maintaining temps in the cooking chamber, especially in cold or windy conditions like we get here in Oklahoma.  The more air tight a rig is, the easier it is to control air flow and temps.

That makes sense. I had the opposite problem. It was to warm. Hoping to solve that with the new smoker.

The smoke leaking from the door is something that I noticed...and saw that others talked about it. No issues here in Alabama for me....I haved smoked all year with one....no probs with maintaing temps or anything. Sips propane too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky