1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

New Smoker Recommendations

Discussion in 'For New Members' started by jquade, Mar 13, 2018.

1. jquade

jquade Newbie

My old Bradley finally took a crap on me. Looking to purchase a new MES. With all the different models out there, it's gotten to be kinda confusing. Looking for recommendations and suggestions. I do know I want the 40 though. TIA!

Jeff

2. lovethemeats

lovethemeats Smoking Fanatic ★ Lifetime Premier ★

If you go electric. Watch what generation you get. I cant say anything about the propane ones. My MES 30 2nd gen is decent. But its an electric one. No issues with it yet and its a couple years old and seen lots of cooks. If you don't care for the window. You can pick up a decent one at a good price. Or you can pick up the MES40. I got the Sportsman Elite thru Bass Pro Shop. Not a bad price for it. They have a combo and you get the stand to go with it. Mine has 6 shelves. More then enough for me. Good luck in your search.

3. old sarge

old sarge Master of the Pit ★ Lifetime Premier ★

If you get really confused, look into the smokers from Smokin-it. Sizes are clearly indicated and you have a choice of PID or analog. Pretty simple. Life is good.

4. myownidaho

myownidaho Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I just replaced my Bradley with a Smokin-it. More pricey but definitely an upgrade.

5. gmc2003

gmc2003 Master of the Pit

6. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Have you thought about charcoal!
    A Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM) is just about as set & forget as an electric, with that charcoal/wood flavor you just don't get with an electric smoker. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with an electric, I have one too. But there is a flavor difference. I use my MES mostly for sausage & bacon.
    Al

7. Geebs

Geebs Smoking Fanatic

I second Al, I love my WSM and it’s just about darn set it and forget it. The temps stay pretty consistent for a charcoal smoker and the flavor I get is amazing.