New Smoker Recommendations

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jquade

Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
My old Bradley finally took a crap on me. Looking to purchase a new MES. With all the different models out there, it's gotten to be kinda confusing. Looking for recommendations and suggestions. I do know I want the 40 though. TIA!

Jeff

If you go electric. Watch what generation you get. I cant say anything about the propane ones. My MES 30 2nd gen is decent. But its an electric one. No issues with it yet and its a couple years old and seen lots of cooks. If you don't care for the window. You can pick up a decent one at a good price. Or you can pick up the MES40. I got the Sportsman Elite thru Bass Pro Shop. Not a bad price for it. They have a combo and you get the stand to go with it. Mine has 6 shelves. More then enough for me. Good luck in your search.

If you get really confused, look into the smokers from Smokin-it. Sizes are clearly indicated and you have a choice of PID or analog. Pretty simple. Life is good.

Have you thought about charcoal!
A Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM) is just about as set & forget as an electric, with that charcoal/wood flavor you just don't get with an electric smoker. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with an electric, I have one too. But there is a flavor difference. I use my MES mostly for sausage & bacon.
Al

Have you thought about charcoal!
A Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM) is just about as set & forget as an electric, with that charcoal/wood flavor you just don't get with an electric smoker. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with an electric, I have one too. But there is a flavor difference. I use my MES mostly for sausage & bacon.
Al

I second Al, I love my WSM and it’s just about darn set it and forget it. The temps stay pretty consistent for a charcoal smoker and the flavor I get is amazing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky