1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

New Smoker, New to Smoking. Love Seafood and spicy! TIPS NEEDED!

Discussion in '5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse' started by BAMFGypsy, Mar 22, 2018.

1. BAMFGypsy

BAMFGypsy Newbie

Hello,

New to all of this. First forum. Bare with me! Ive smoked a butt one time 2 years ago. Someone let me borrow their electric smoker and I WAS HOOKED! So I finally bought my first smoker. Masterbuilt Pro. Any pointers on first use for it and from there, what would be a good starting point on what to smoke to learn. I really love seafood and would like to try my hand at that. Brines, ehh... little kknowledge due to my love of gardening and making pickles. Throw me some pointers!

2. Gypsy,
    Welcome! I can't give any advice on your Masterbuilt, but I will say start with something cheap...like chicken.

3. bluewhisper

bluewhisper Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Welcome to the board! Use the Search here (click on the bars next to Members at the top) and look up your model of smoker to see how people use them.

MANY people here smoke salmon and there are many ways to do it.

Edited to add, try smoking chicken like thighs or quarters to get the hang of your smoker. It's inexpensive and easy.

Pickled vegetables, huh? I'm going to make a salsa fresca today.

4. Geebs

Geebs Smoking Fanatic

Welcome BAMF, like the previous posts it will take some time to figure out your smoker so trying something cheap is always a good idea. I did a couple butts my first few times and some wings (which arent cheap anymore). Im sure there are a ton of previous threads regarding your type of smoker, I would just do some searches and read up on what others have to say.

5. Welcome to the party BAMF! Being fairly new here (and to smoking) I can't offer much advice, but there are many knowledgeable and helpful folks here. There are also TONS of threads you can read through that have a plethora of information. You came to the right place!

One suggestion I do have...get a good remote digital meat thermometer, if you don't already have one. I have a ThermoPro TP-08, and I love that thing. Takes a bit of the guess work out when it comes to internal temps of your meat, and is typically more accurate than the thermometers that come built into a lot of smokers.

6. SmokinVOLfan

SmokinVOLfan Smoking Fanatic

Welcome! Jeff's rub and recipes are a great place to start.

Is your masterbuilt pro an electric or propane smoker? If electric search the term AMNPS its what most of us MES owners use to generate smoke.

Give a boston butt a try for the first smoke on the new smoker(after you season the smoker of course). Its a very forgiving meat and there are countless ways of doing it none of which are wrong but almost always give great results. Its all about your personal preference.

I personally like to inject mine with apple juice, give it a good coating of yellow mustard, a nice thick coating of rub, and smoke at 225 until I reach 205. I also wrap at the stall usually around 165.

Good luck let us know how it all turns out!

J Badman likes this.
  7. tallbm

tallbm Master of the Pit

Hi there and welcome!

I would suggest smoking chicken as well like others mention, it is cheap and it is good. Just a heads up though. If you smoke chicken with skin it may come out rubbery unless you smoke at a high enough temp. I find 325F to work for edible skin where others may have success at slightly lower temps but if you go too much lower expect leather skin. This is a confusing thing with chicken and isn't a problem with what you did rather than a problem with the temps that chicken skin likes. My suggestion is to try some boneless, skinless pieces first and then move up to skinned pieces.

FYI, I brine white meat and whole chickens to keep them from being dry but dark meat is good to go with just a seasoning/rub and smoking.

Also mentioned getting a good wireless thermometer is a huge must. I always recommend the ThermoPro TP20. It is best to have a dual probe (or more probes) so you can check the smoker temp with 1 probe and the Internal Temp (IT) of the meat with the 2nd probe. The more probes the merrier :)

I hope this info helps!

Mffl84 likes this.
  8. ZeroEvol

ZeroEvol Newbie

Welcome! My first smoked fish was salmon. I kept it simple and it turned out pretty damn good. Used the Jack Daniels wood chips from Wally World (Walmart), took a salmon filet, skin on, topped meat side with brown sugar. Smoked at 200 until internal temp was about 160, I think it was about 2 hours or so. I did not brine first. This was ONLY a test to move on to bigger pieces of fish, etc. I am sure there are other tips and recipes on here that are 1,000 times better, this was just my experience. Good luck!