New smoker - looking for advice.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yes - the 165 C is great for chicken and turkey but you will need to get it down to about 110 C for pork shoulder (pulled pork) or brisket

My biggest issue was tin foil. I had read it's a good idea to cover the water pan with tin foil to reduce mess, however after over an hour struggling to get the temp up to 200 F, I removed the foil and the temp shot up.

Thats interesting, that is something I have always done to the inside of the pan only as the fat from the meat, makes a real mess of the pan when it has gone cold and the tin foil stops that mostly, I found. The foil never affected the temperature of the smoker though for me?.

Last edited:
The only thing I can think of, if the foil was not allowing the heat to rise from the charcoal. Foil blocking the air flow, touching the sides and not leaving a gap?

It wasn't touching the sides. I put a kettle of boiling water on top of the foil, when I poured the water out the foil was cool to the touch.

I just found an old thread which seems pertinent to my predicament:

"Well after three nights of failure, I finally got it.

First I tried going to wood charcoal and less water in the pan. This resulted in a temp around 190. So I gave up.

Next night I figured it was not getting enough air, so I placed a variable speed fan at the bottom vent and pumped in steady air. This resulted in 200 degrees. So I gave up.

Tonight knowing that it was not the fuel or air, I looked at the set up. I took the bigger pan and turned it into the charcoal pan and drilled holes into that also. Since I had swiss cheesed the other pan it was not good for water, so I went and bought a new pan and moved 3 inches farther away from the heat source.

Success!!! I giggled as I saw the temp steadily rise to over 300 degrees, I then started adjusting the vents to get the smoker to balance out to 250 degrees and stay!!!! I am so happy.

The distance between the coals and the water pan seemed to be the issue, this would be why I was going through water like crazy and no heat. In the last 2 hours the water has barely dropped.

So tomorrow I am getting out the grinder ond moving the shelf supports to allow for the setup I was using tonight. Then I will be set.

Too bad I have to change it right out of the box, but I am getting what I wanted now while learning more about how the whole system works."

The water bowl does seem to sit very close to the charcoal. I think it may be worth my while trying to raise it slightly.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky