New Pit Barrel Smoker PBC

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

radioguy

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Columbus, Ohio
I was looking for a new smoker / cooker that I could easily take with me on camping trips. I did my research and bought a Pit Barrel Junior. This is a smaller version that would be perfect for the wife and I while traveling. I wanted to include a Pitmaster IQ 110 temp controller. I have used this controller on other cooks / UDS and it works very well. My goal was to keep this set up simple. Future plan to put a thermometer and a vent in the lid, along with a grommet for my temp probes. I will make an adjustable grill bracket, so I am able to use this as a plain jane charcoal grill.

First Cook
Spatchcock chicken with Kosmos Hot dirty bird rub. This is a great rub for poultry, we like it on our wings!! This cooker is essentially an ugly drum smoker. I loaded the basket with KingsFord competition briqettes, mixed in a some cherry wood chucks and left a place to put in the lit coals. I lit up about a dozen coals in the chimney. I set the IQ110 to #3 for the vent opening and temp to 275F. I had some rain and wind roll in so temps varied a bit. The pit came up to temp fine when the wind calmed. I moved the temp up to 300F last 15 minutes to finish the skin crispy.

For a first cook this PBC did very well with no major problems. I'll be cooking more on this to gain some more experience. BTW the chicken was fantastic!!

RG

PBC

Kosmos BBQ

20210409_194916.jpg 20210409_183508.jpg
20210409_200722.jpg 20210409_194946.jpg

Do you just use charcoal or add some wood chunks, etc? Are your decisions based on flavor preference or simplicity's sake?

Bill,
PBC recommends using kingsford briquettes. This would work with any charcoal. I make my own wood chunks. Oak, cherry, hickory. I just cut 1 1\2 inch slices with the power miter and then use a small axe to split them. I put in a fair amount of wood chunks since the charcoal does have much smoke.

RG

Reactions: bill1
I was looking for a new smoker / cooker that I could easily take with me on camping trips. I did my research and bought a Pit Barrel Junior. This is a smaller version that would be perfect for the wife and I while traveling. I wanted to include a Pitmaster IQ 110 temp controller. I have used this controller on other cooks / UDS and it works very well. My goal was to keep this set up simple. Future plan to put a thermometer and a vent in the lid, along with a grommet for my temp probes. I will make an adjustable grill bracket, so I am able to use this as a plain jane charcoal grill.

First Cook
Spatchcock chicken with Kosmos Hot dirty bird rub. This is a great rub for poultry, we like it on our wings!! This cooker is essentially an ugly drum smoker. I loaded the basket with KingsFord competition briqettes, mixed in a some cherry wood chucks and left a place to put in the lit coals. I lit up about a dozen coals in the chimney. I set the IQ110 to #3 for the vent opening and temp to 275F. I had some rain and wind roll in so temps varied a bit. The pit came up to temp fine when the wind calmed. I moved the temp up to 300F last 15 minutes to finish the skin crispy.

For a first cook this PBC did very well with no major problems. I'll be cooking more on this to gain some more experience. BTW the chicken was fantastic!!

RG

PBC

Kosmos BBQ

View attachment 492007 View attachment 492009
View attachment 492011 View attachment 492014
I just bought a PBJ about 2 months ago and I really like it. I've started using it with a TempSpike and left the BBQ Guru in the box, at least for now. The results have been great: succulent and juicy baby back ribs, juicy roast whole chicken and wonderful smoked turkey thighs.

Reactions: JWFokker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky