New member from ND

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Scott Eisenbraun

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 30, 2018
Bismarck ND
Have been researching info as a guest until today. Have been smoking and grilling meat and veg year round about 10 years. I have had 5 different smokers during that time. My favorite is the Yoder 640 pellet grill, for most cooks. I also have a Bradley electric when a stronger smoke flavor is desired.

I read an article in the forum about using a water pan to elevate humidity in the smoke chamber so the meat absorbs more smoke flavor. I am anxious to try that on my next smoke.

Welcome to the site, glad to have ya join.

Chris

Welcome glad to have you on board. The gang on here like photos of what you do. I uase a water pan 90% of the time in my smoker. But you will have a lot of comments both pro and con on their use.

Warren

Welcome glad to have you on board. The gang on here like photos of what you do. I uase a water pan 90% of the time in my smoker. But you will have a lot of comments both pro and con on their use.

Warren
Thanks for the reply. I will try that water pan for sure. Don't like oversmoked taste, but pellet grills seem to lack the depth of flavor I'm looking for.

Welcome to SMF from Indiana. I’m for the water pan. I think more of a moist atmosphere keeps the surface of the meat from drying out so fast, which helps smoke penetration, and the almighty smoke ring lol. Plus in my COS that I converted to reverse flow I use a water pan to help control temps, and balance the temp from side to side in my cook chamber. It made all the difference in the world after the conversion. Good luck. Glad to have you aboard!

Welcome to SMF from Indiana. I’m for the water pan. I think more of a moist atmosphere keeps the surface of the meat from drying out so fast, which helps smoke penetration, and the almighty smoke ring lol. Plus in my COS that I converted to reverse flow I use a water pan to help control temps, and balance the temp from side to side in my cook chamber. It made all the difference in the world after the conversion. Good luck. Glad to have you aboard!

Thanks for your reply. I'm smoking a whole turkey breast right now in my Bradley. That uses a water pan. Maybe that's why I've always had a better smoke flavor than the Yoder pellet smoker. Anyhow, we will find out, the wife just brought home a couple of chuck roasts, which I'll put on the Yoder with a water pan.

I bet those 3 boys keep you jumpin. Miss those days.

Reactions: SmokinLogs
Thanks for your reply. I'm smoking a whole turkey breast right now in my Bradley. That uses a water pan. Maybe that's why I've always had a better smoke flavor than the Yoder pellet smoker. Anyhow, we will find out, the wife just brought home a couple of chuck roasts, which I'll put on the Yoder with a water pan.

I bet those 3 boys keep you jumpin. Miss those days.

They do keep me jumping. We stay super busy but it’s all worth it. A lot of my smoking has to get done at night after they go to bed lol but I’m sure that will change. I try to enjoy them every day.

Hey guys! Was going to make my own gretting post but figured I’d just introduce myself on this post since I’m from North Dakota also! I’m a long time guest to the site, figured it was time to join since on reading and learning so much! Been smoking for about 6ish years most on a traeger tailgater and wsm. Enjoy it so much nothing better than a long day of staring at the smoker!! Thanks for all the great information enjoy learning helped a ton when I did a smoker build out off an old freezer hoping to find time to share the build! Happy smoking!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky