New Guy in MD

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jkbrooksj24

Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Hello All,

Newbie to the smoking scene.  I have been grilling for years on my weber 3 burner and have always wanted to get into smoking.  My in - laws bought me a Brinkman Vertical Charcoal smoker.  I am looking forward to curing it hopefully this weekend and start out with an easy meat. 

Anyone have any good ideas for a newbie on any other accessories to have, any upgrades needed to my smoker, basic meat (one i cant screw up) to get started.  I was thinking of doing ribs and a whole chicken on my first run. 

Thanks and look forward to ideas on the site. 

Brooksie

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Hi Brooksie...Welcome!  Congrats on that new smoker!  As far as accessories go, the most important tool any pitmaster has is a good thermometer.  You need to accurately measure the internal temp of the meat you are smoking, as well as the temp in your smoke chamber (the stock therms on most smokers are not at all reliable).  The most popular thermometer on these forums is a dual probed digital remote from Maverick (Maverick ET-732).

Good luck, and just ask when you need anything.

Red

Welcome Brooksie  Looking forward to your posts.  Got questions? Just ask or use the search button at the top of the page.  You will be amazed on the powerful knowledge you now have at your fingertips.

Brian

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky