New Guy From SoCal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ThinBlueSmoker

Original poster
Jan 22, 2019
Hello all,

I started smoking meat earlier this year and instantly fell in love with it. I have spent an unreal amount of time on these threads looking for tips and advice. I have so much to learn and am amazed at how much information is shared here. It truly seems like an amazing community. I hope I can contribute some day.

I just recently (last week) bought an Oklahoma Joe Highland smoker and seasoned it today. I’m looking to do my first smoke on Wednesday (pork butt and ribs). I have no doubt that you all will give sound advice whenever I need it. Looking forward to more time spent with the smoker.

Attachments

• 76FDCC73-670D-406C-956B-AEF3FB8DB992.jpeg
    76FDCC73-670D-406C-956B-AEF3FB8DB992.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 14
Welcome and congrats on the smoker. Just ask away.

Chris

Welcome to SMF glad you joined us. Here's a link to a basic pulled pork thread you might find helpful
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/basic-pulled-pork-smoke.57139/

You may want to try a Finishing Sauce once pulled here's a link to a good one
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/soflaquers-finishing-sauce-for-pulled-pork.51933/

Are you going to smoke spare ribs or baby back ribs or beef ribs?
To get started I'd recommend the 3-2-1 for spare ribs or 2-2-1 for baby backs then once you smoke them a couple times adjust the numbers to your personal tastes. Times are for a 225 degree smoker temp
3-2-1 =
3 hours on the grate
2 hours in foil on the grate (adding some liquid then sealing the foil really helps I really like adding a couple lines of squeeze butter and a couple lines of honey but about any liquid will work)
1 hour out of foil back on the grate (be careful getting them out of the foil they will try to fall apart)

Many of us serve the sauce on the side but if you decide you want to sauce the ribs while smoking do it the last 30-45 minutes (most bbq sauces have a high sugar content and burn easy so last few minutes lessens that chance)
For Baby Backs use the same methods just go 2-2-1 on times

Have fun and if you have any questions post them and somebody should be able to answer them for you or you can jump into chat if someone is there they can usually answer questions right then.

Welcome to the board! I usually suggest that people new to smoking should start with chicken parts because it's inexpensive and easy and a good way to learn the traits of your rig.

Nice rig you have there BTW my offset is similar to that. You are going to have a lot of fun. Just expect to have to pay attention and fuss over it like a steam locomotive.

Welcome glad to have you on board. Fire that smoker up practice makes perfect. Read and use the search so many things on here.

Warren

Welcome! I just recently joined as well and have learned alot from these folks! Post some pics of the first smoke!

Thank you for the thread links. The basic pulled pork thread looks to have some good advice. I have never made a finishing sauce, so I’ll have to try that out this time.

I’m going to smoke spare ribs this time around. I have smoked them before and people seemed to like them. I know they can get mich better with practice.

So far (with my last chargriller smoker) I have smoked Boston butt, spare ribs, whole chicken, turkey, pork burnt ends, and a prime rib. Some smokes have turned out to be a borderline disaster and some have been pretty good. Hopefully time with the smoker will bring the quality up.

Thanks for the welcome all. I look forward to leaving from everyone!

Good afternoon and welcome from a sunny and slowly warming up East Texas

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky