New Guy Bisket Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Matt Bell

Original poster
Nov 25, 2018
Hey everyone!
I'm new to the smoking game and currently using a Masterbuilt Portable gas smoker (gift from in-laws). I've done a few cooks (chuck roast and brisket point) but I can't seem to get a good bark. My question is if I keep having to replace my wood chips every half hour, and opening the door which loses heat and smoke, how am I to get a good product?

Thanks!

Ditto what he said. That totally changed my smoking game using a MES30. Depending on which amazen product you get, you'll get several hours of solid smoke without opening a door. I use the 12" tube smoker and get 4-5 hours of solid smoke. However, I'm asking for the 5x8 maze for Christmas.

Also, make sure you don't have too much moisture in your chamber. I don't fill the water pan in my MES30 because it creates a sauna, rather than a smoking chamber.

I have a Masterbuilt and had the same problem with chips burning up too fast. I stopped using the supplied tray for chips and got a 10-inch cast iron pie pan from amazon. It was about $15. Now I use chunks and they last a long time.

I also started using a disposable tin pan for water since the provided one is so small. Just put it on the lowest rack.

I like the pie pan idea! How long does it take to get smoke from the pan?

I like the pie pan idea! How long does it take to get smoke from the pan?

5-10 minutes. Usually smoking before the box gets up the temperature. Take the other one out completely so the cast iron is directly over the flame (assuming you are using propane). I use a brick on each side of the burner to hold the cast iron a couple inches above the “ring” so air can flow properly.

Reactions: Matt Bell
Here’s a picture of the turkey I did with that setup on Thanksgiving.

Attachments

• 84A3D0A9-4913-47FC-9BD5-2E961098F686.jpeg
    84A3D0A9-4913-47FC-9BD5-2E961098F686.jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 10
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky